Went to Hollywood today!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
With all this talk of meeting up at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood, on my one day off this week I found myself in the truck rolling into Los Angeles to see Stan at THE seminal drum shop on the west coast. I didn't plan on it, I was driving around running errands and then all of a sudden, getting a regular die cast hoop for my Tama Starclassic 12" tom became an errand that had to be completed (I live about 38 miles EAST of Los Angeles, bordering on Northern Orange County because of my work at Disneyland). I called to make sure he had one (of course he did), and I didn't call anyone else because I knew they wouldn't have them anyway. Even on a Saturday there's heavy traffic going into Hollywood, it sucks.

It is funny though, I didn't even ask him how much it was. I assume every time I go there I'll spend about $100. And sure enough, after he gave me the hoop, I picked up a t-shirt and a new baseball hat since he had them (somebody stole my other one I had for years that Stan gave me years ago) - the tab was close to $90. I don't feel guilty spending my money there, and whatever he charges, I pay. It's fair, and I don't haggle on a price. It's a pro shop, I pay for the service. Funny thing was, it was totally crowded with Stan and his one employee today trying to help everybody - but he still found time to catch up and get me what I wanted, and I was out of there inside of 40 minutes. So here's some pictures for those of you who want to visit one day. I put captions in the pictures too.

There's a psychedelic red vintage Ludwig kit in there that needs a home. Somebody get it before I do. Please ;)

BTW - Keith Carlock will be giving a FREE drum clinic at the Musician's Union Hall right across the street from Pro Drum on April 17th at 7PM. I might arrange to be there, but Disney usually has me at night, so maybe not. Perhaps some of our brethren here would like to attend if you're anywhere near Los Angeles that day.

Regarding Yamaha's swirly ice cream drums, they are lacquered that way and I thought I'd like them. Now that I've seen them, the drums feel like they were dipped in paint, and then somebody took a garden rake to spread the colors around the shell. They are not smooth to the touch, each color band you see feels like a groove (hence why I described it like taking a garden rake to spread the paint). They had a black one on the floor too, but when I compare them to my Tama Starclassic B/B black oyster lacquer drums, they seem a little over-priced for what they are. My opinion though. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pro-Drum-from-Street.jpg
    Pro-Drum-from-Street.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 476
  • drumset-wall.jpg
    drumset-wall.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 472
  • Snare-racks.jpg
    Snare-racks.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 472
  • store-from-back.jpg
    store-from-back.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 468
  • psych-red-kit.jpg
    psych-red-kit.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 473
  • sky-blue-oyster.jpg
    sky-blue-oyster.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 466
  • Yamaha-orange-swirl.jpg
    Yamaha-orange-swirl.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 471
  • swag.jpg
    swag.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 464
Great pics you got there! Really like them.
Now if only Malaysia has a place like this too...

How many kits do you have now, Bo?

:)

Just the one. Honest! I feel pretty immune to buying kits from Pro Drum for some reason. There's always this vibe there that if you can't play, then it doesn't matter what you own, and if you can play, you can play the crap out of anything. I like to think I'm in the second category, so the guys there are cool if I don't buy drums. They know I need the parts and services more than anything else ;)

That's one of the rare places where I go there and try not to pain in the a$$ to them.

Nice pics!

Traffic was shit today because Hollywood Blvd. was closed for a marathon, so all the traffic was flooded to the side streets...

Wow. I must've missed all of that. It was just the typical 101 freeway slowdown on the way in and out, which I still don't like and it's gotten worse in the last 20 or so years too. Actually, it starts to slow down when I'm on the 10 heading west before I even get to the 605 now. It sucks.

Sorry everybody, just local traffic talk. Carry on ;)

i know its cool to go to the store, but i have the hoop and i'm up the fwy from o.c. in the i.e. alot closer.

i haven't been to the store in a long time. i do have some drum sales pending in hollywood, so i hope they follow thru so i can stop by the shop while i'm out there. AND amoeba records.

another cool shop is jammin' jersey. its a longer hike and they do have some stuff priced higher than normal, but the place is packed to the gils.

Well, I was 1/2 right.

Bo didn't buy a new drum, but he did buy something this weekend. hah.

I haven't been to Pro Drum in a long time. I have had stuff repaired there. But my major purchases over the last 10 years have been recording gear, not drum gear. And I used to work at West LA Music, so I used to get all my drum stuff from there.

Well, I was 1/2 right.

Bo didn't buy a new drum, but he did buy something this weekend. hah.

I haven't been to Pro Drum in a long time. I have had stuff repaired there. But my major purchases over the last 10 years have been recording gear, not drum gear. And I used to work at West LA Music, so I used to get all my drum stuff from there.

ah good old Glen Noyes (sp)

I think he is gone now though.....but he was a pretty cool guy

ah good old Glen Noyes (sp)

I think he is gone now though.....but he was a pretty cool guy

You got his last name right, but he spells Glenn with two "n"s.

Yes, he is no longer with West LA, he took an offer he couldn't refuse from someone else.

We're still good friends. I hung out with him recently.

You got his last name right, but he spells Glenn with two "n"s.

Yes, he is no longer with West LA, he took an offer he couldn't refuse from someone else.

We're still good friends. I hung out with him recently.

where is he now?

he was always very helpful and knowledgeable

he once introduced me to Dennis Chambers at a clinic across the street from the shop ...it was very exciting for me at the time

You Cal' guys are so lucky to have such a store. Use it as often as you can :-{)
I would love to go there on a Saturday here and there. In fact, I wanted to go there yesterday, but I just went to GC. Why? It's the traffic, man. That's really the only reason.

I would love to go there on a Saturday here and there. In fact, I wanted to go there yesterday, but I just went to GC. Why? It's the traffic, man. That's really the only reason.

I braved the traffic on a whim. Once you get past the 605 freeway heading west, there's no point in turning back. The traffic is just as bad going back ;)

True enough. I'm right off the 5 almost at the LA County line. Same story. I'm sure I'll brave the traffic some day soon, check out the store, get a ride cymbal, then do something else while I'm up there like stop by one of those dive bars and catch a show at the Viper Room or something. Either that or go to the museum. I like going to the Getty now and then. Then again, there's that really big rock at the Science museum at USC now. That might be cool. Anyway, I'm rambling...

where is he now?

he was always very helpful and knowledgeable

he once introduced me to Dennis Chambers at a clinic across the street from the shop ...it was very exciting for me at the time

He is in the corporate office of a certain big chain of music stores, heading up drum purchasing for the entire chain and assorted subsidiaries.

Yeah, that's my main issue with ProDrum. There are 3 GC's and two Sam Ash's closer to me. Am I really going to drive past 5 places? I will if I need something specific, but just for a head or a pair of sticks, it's not worth the gas and traffic.

Back