Well, This Sucks

yesdog

Silver Member
I was at work and was helping move a heavy piece of equipment. I lost my balance and pulled my left arm. I played a gig over the weekend and had very sharp bicep pain all night long. I took a couple of days off, and had no more pain. I practiced tonight, bicep pain came right back. Off to the doctor tomorrow, I hope it is nothing to serious. I also have gigs every weekend this month. If I have to cancel them, that will be a real bummer.

Obviously the doctor will be best placed to advise. But, for what it's worth, I had a similar injury and found that I needed to use an elasticated tube bandage to support the torn bicep whilst the arm was in use. You don't leave it on outside of that, as the muscles atrophy.
Also, take pains to warm the arm up gently but fully before use; and you'd want to be really careful with lifting, i.e. don't. Hope your recovery is swift.

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If all else fails and you just have to slog on through........don't foget the Nurofen, Doggy. There's no pain it can't mask. If it can placate an all fearsome pre-menstrual wife, it can certainly get you through a gig. :)

yesdog

Silver Member
If all else fails and you just have to slog on through........don't foget the Nurofen, Doggy. There's no pain it can't mask. If it can placate an all fearsome pre-menstrual wife, it can certainly get you through a gig. :)
I have never heard of Nurofen, its probably not allowed in the States. I need to get some for my wife. I will take arm pain any day than deal with a crampy pre-menstrual crazy woman, LOL.

longgun

Gold Member
I have never heard of Nurofen, its probably not allowed in the States. I need to get some for my wife. I will take arm pain any day than deal with a crampy pre-menstrual crazy woman, LOL.
..never heard of it here either...........but if it can calm the beast, I may have to find some

wombat

nurofen is an anti inflammatory .... ibuprofen is its generic name...in fact if you just ask for ibuprofen youll probably get it cheaper.

some nurofen has other stuff like lysine ( no big deal) and nurofen plus has codeine...which in America you seem to have a fit about the mildest "narcotic" so is pobably not available over the counter like ibuprofen

Does sound to me like a form of tennis elboe ie ligament strain, maybee a trip to the physio is in order....

larryz

Platinum Member
I'd suggested visiting a chiropractor. A conventioinal medical doctor only knows how to treat symptoms with drugs. Good luck and get better :)

yesdog

Silver Member
Came back from the doctor, I have a torn bicep. The good news is I can still drum, I just need to keep it wrapped when playing and ice it down later. I start with therapy next week.
Its all good.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Only just picked this thread up my canine friend. I'm sorry you're suffering, but at least it sounds like something that will heal with care.

Ibrufen is indeed a very effective anti inflammatory. A 3 day course should give your shoulder a chance to heal without the inconvenience of swelling. Good luck with the gigs :)

andy.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Came back from the doctor, I have a torn bicep. The good news is I can still drum, I just need to keep it wrapped when playing and ice it down later. I start with therapy next week.
Its all good.
ESPN was just talking about an (American) football player who was diagnosed with a torn bicep, and the docs were debating whether he could play this week's game.

I wish you a speedy recovery - do what the PT says to do!