Well, I have Classic Maples now.

Here's the thread I was talking about. Loopagator describes the problem in detail and there are pics of how I relief-cut my hoops.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48743

It's not necessary...all that is necessary is that you check your Remo heads before buying. If the head isn't made correctly, buy one that is.

This problem isn't limited to Ludwig hoops and you'll experience this on other brands of drums. It's Remo's fault.

In the case of the drum that I cut the hoops for - the drum was just band and couldn't be tuned. This isn't a common thing, obviously.

Forum protocol limits the language I can use, so the best I can say is that is this thread is worse than a bunch of inbred rednecks arguing over Ford vs Chevy.

Crap, this is my thread..............

Merry Xmas!

Not sure where all the pent up frustration came from, but have a good holiday boys. :)

Great looking kit!

It's a problem with Remo.
I'm not shocked in the least that you got two heads that did this in a row.
The hoop/head fit in that pic is terrible.
Their QC issues have been documented, and one manufacturer I spent some quality time with (you can reach him on the phone) said their return dept. was larger than their shipping dept.

I use Remo heads, but I pick every one of them (I never buy online).

I've had a couple BD heads that had a little of this (Emps) that I accepted, but I had also sent several back. I don't use an Emp batter any longer--haven't in many years.
mainly for the collar issues, and an Amb. sounds better to me, and last a long time as well.
The Ambassadors I get sit flat, and the hoops sit just fine on all 5 of my bass drums.

Ludwig's bass drum heads actually sound great, it's on the toms and snare that I don't care for the sound of them.
The Ludwig Smooth White head they have sounds great as a reso, and on my 16" depth bass drum, the Heavy Coated sounds fatter and punchier than a Remo. On the deeper shells a Remo Coated Ambassador sounds better to me though.

I"ve not had any problems with heads on my 24" CM but I find myself reverting back to the Weathermasters Ludwig supplied me when I ordered my kit...Great tone out of kick, rack and both floor toms...And I do get great reviews on the sound of my kit at gigs...Great Rock sound for sure...I hope, Soupy, that it is Remo 20" kick head and that it is an easy fix for you...Would appear to be that...Peace...

Send me the head. Bet you it fits on my stuff. LOL :)
Just checking too see if you're out there sticks..lol my Remo's fit fine on my Epic's though.

It's hard to speculate if you don't. have the drum in front of you. but heads are way more produced than any drum, it's harder too have good QC on a mass produced item than a made to order item.

How's the new BB treating ya? it's a Beautiful one.

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Just checking too see if you're out there sticks..lol my Remo's fit fine on my Epic's though.

It's hard to speculate if you don't. have the drum in front of you. but heads are way more produced than any drum, it's harder too have good QC on a mass produced item than a made to order item.

How's the new BB treating ya? it's a Beautiful one.

keep swattin'
Bonzolead
I am always lurking baby. I LOVE my Black Beauty. Next up, Bronze Beauty. This BB really is a fantastic sounding drum. I am glad I was not too proud to pic one up. I still have the stock head on it, and see no reason to change it. It sounds perfect for me.

I am always lurking baby. I LOVE my Black Beauty. Next up, Bronze Beauty. This BB really is a fantastic sounding drum. I am glad I was not too proud to pic one up. I still have the stock head on it, and see no reason to change it. It sounds perfect for me.
If it sounds perfect too you that's all that matters..if it ain't. broke why fix it..lol

A Bronze Beauty would be sweet for sure & you don't. see a lot of them IMO that's pretty cool also.

Glad the Black Beauty is working out.

Bonzolead

If it sounds perfect too you that's all that matters..if it ain't. broke why fix it..lol

A Bronze Beauty would be sweet for sure & you don't. see a lot of them IMO that's pretty cool also.

Glad the Black Beauty is working out.

Bonzolead
Oh, its more than working out. :)

Oh, its more than working out. :)

LOL.......Got my Dad the ACE pdp snare(6.5 x 14) for x-mas it's not a BB but still a damn nice snare drum & for $99 couldn't. pass it up.

I'm blessed to have such a cool dad when my friends were getting bikes & G.I. Joes pops got me a 20" Holiday Rogers kit to start on, he still plays a XP8 kit the last "Real" Rogers...IMO.

Bonzolead

I had the same problem with my old Gretsch Catalina Jazz bass drum.
Tried to put a Remo head on the batter side of my kick and the hoop would not fit properly.
Bought an Aquarian and it fit no problem.
Not blaming Gretsch by the way. Gotta fault Remo in this instance.

I don't know what it is but to me Acros, Supras and Black Beautys always sound better with Ludwig Heads.
I still have the Ludwig Heavy Rocker batter side head that came with my Limited Edition Engraved 6 1/2 x 14 Black Beauty (early to mid 90's, don't remember) and it still sounds great.
Guess I need to order a couple more Ludwig snare batter heads.

I had the same problem with my old Gretsch Catalina Jazz bass drum.
Tried to put a Remo head on the batter side of my kick and the hoop would not fit properly.
Bought an Aquarian and it fit no problem.
Not blaming Gretsch by the way. Gotta fault Remo in this instance.

I'm having the same problem with an older Fiberskyn (the yellowish ones) head on the Catalina as well. The newer Fiberskyn on the batter side fits perfectly. Definitely a Remo problem.

QC on Remo heads is why I switched to Aquarian 20 years ago and haven't even considered Remo again. Back then, I swear 50% of their heads would pull right out of the hoop, regardless of the drum type they were going on. Evans and Aquarian never had this issue...ever.

You have to inspect Remo heads before paying for them. When I was using them 20 years ago, I had essentially one music store withing 100 miles of my house, so I was pretty much screwed into buying Remo until I got my own car and could drive to a real drum shop and buy what I wanted (not what I was stuck with locally).

Back