Well, I did it. (incoming NKD)

Dirtcity

I've been on the lookout for a new kit.

My main drum set, love of my life, is a 1976 3 ply Ludwig Pro Beat in Bowling Ball Blue Oyster Pearl. (24, 14, 16, 18)

To get that kit, I sold my Classic Maple with a 26", and that 26" is the only thing I've missed since getting the '76 kit. On top of that, once in a while I get nervous about being on the road with my vintage kit.

I play in a really loud band, in the vein of Kyuss, old Mastodon, Baroness, Electric Wizard, the Sword, etc. So volume is something that I'm always looking for. AND I'm a Ludwig nerd, so there was only one option.

By mid-week, I should receive my brand new blue Vistalite Zep Set. Pictures to come!

In the meantime, here's a photo or two of my babies, soon to be (mostly) retired from the road.

Attachments

• bbbop.jpg
    bbbop.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 496
  • bbbop2.jpg
    bbbop2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 456
  • bbbop3.jpg
    bbbop3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 446
  • bbbop4.jpg
    bbbop4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 449
I think your band needs bigger amps to play in smaller rooms ;)

Congrats!

Cool !!

I'd love to play drums in your band.

Let us know how the new drums work out.
I'm interested in how they are as far as volume and sound.

Your bass player is clearly deluded. Any fool can see that's not a hovercraft. It's a bass amp - or does he just secretly like skirts ;)

Congrat's on the new kit!

Haha, that's actually the other guitar head. Hovercraft make some cool custom amps. Pretty nifty company. Thanks man.

Cool !!

I'd love to play drums in your band.

Let us know how the new drums work out.
I'm interested in how they are as far as volume and sound.

I don't have any trouble being heard generally, but I've played Vistas in the past. I love how much they project naturally. This kit should get along quite well with our sound.

I think your band needs bigger amps to play in smaller rooms ;)

Congrats!

Old guitarist trick. Set up the full stack. Only plug in to the stereo on a half stack so that only two speakers are active. Same volume as a twin, but it looks cool and gets the speakers to the ear-height.

Old guitarist trick. Set up the full stack. Only plug in to the stereo on a half stack so that only two speakers are active. Same volume as a twin, but it looks cool and gets the speakers to the ear-height.

Wait a minute - if I'm gonna haul around all that weight, I'd be using ALL of it!

I had a friend who replaced all eight of his speakers in his Carvin full stack to EV speakers which weighed in at about 30 pounds a piece. I made him bring it all since he insisted he had to have it ;)

Definitely not what my dudes are doing. Haha.

The music we play is supposed to be super loud, and the folks that come out wouldn't want it any other way. Is it too loud for most of the rooms we play? Probably, but that's what the people who come to see us expect.

And it's super fun! Ha

Also, unfortunately no non-stage pictures of the old kit.

Good for you! Can't wait to see the pics of the Vistalites.

Your post made me realize that in fifty years of drumming I've never played a bass drum larger or smaller than a 22". I wonder what I've been missing?

GeeDeeEmm

Congrats on the new drums!

The Probeats look awesome. Nice to see an unported head! How many sound guys did you have to fight to make that happen? ;-)

Thanks man! By the way, I saw an older thread where you recommended a particular Remo snare side head for Ludwig snares. I ordered one last night for my Supra. Can't wait to see how it works out.

Karl Crafton told me about those heads. They were they only way I could
get the tension I wanted.

Definitely not what my dudes are doing. Haha.

The music we play is supposed to be super loud, and the folks that come out wouldn't want it any other way. Is it too loud for most of the rooms we play? Probably, but that's what the people who come to see us expect.

And it's super fun! Ha

Also, unfortunately no non-stage pictures of the old kit.

Sweet gear man! Looking forward to seeing pics of your new Vistalites. I play some large Ludwigs as well. I really dig the 26" bass drum. Our band plays a very similar backline as well. If you ever make it out to the Seattle/Tacoma area of Washington, let me know. If we don't play together, I would love to come check you guys out.

Congrats on the new drums!

The Probeats look awesome. Nice to see an unported head! How many sound guys did you have to fight to make that happen? ;-)

Hahaha, thank you! Biggest battle was actually my bass player, who is also our engineer when we record. Sadly, I eventually ported the head. :(

But the good news is, IT'S HERE. Dealing with FedEx was a nightmare, but they made it. I will take some better shots at the show this weekend, but for now...

Attachments

• BV1.jpg
    BV1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 155
  • BV2.jpg
    BV2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 154
Karl Crafton told me about those heads. They were they only way I could
get the tension I wanted.

Yea Karl is the man. It's the only snare side I use anymore thanks to Karl. The collarless snare side ambassador

Back