weird sound coming from toms

airbus172

whenever I hit my rack toms, especially the 10” there is a weird sound I have never come across before. Basically there are some weird overtones and when I hit it, the pitch lowers (bends, don’t know what you call it) during the sustain and it makes an unpleasant ‘twong’ sound. I have replaced the batter heads recently, I have the stock reso heads on. Is it a tuning issue or something to do with the reso heads?

MntnMan62

I might suggest taking the reso heads off and inspect them for tears, especially along the edge where they rest on the wood of the shell. I'd also do a close inspection of the shells themselves. Make sure there aren't any visible cracks or if the plies of wood are separating. That would be my first approach. If you don't find anything that might explain the sound, I'm sure there are other much smarter and more knowledgeable people here who can give you some thoughts.

airbus172

I might suggest taking the reso heads off and inspect them for tears, especially along the edge where they rest on the wood of the shell. I'd also do a close inspection of the shells themselves. Make sure there aren't any visible cracks or if the plies of wood are separating. That would be my first approach. If you don't find anything that might explain the sound, I'm sure there are other much smarter and more knowledgeable people here who can give you some thoughts.
I don’t think that it is the plies, as i have only had this kit for two years. I have looked at the reso heads but not closely.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
FWIW that’s called modulation, and back in the day it was a desirable sound that drummers worked hard to achieve!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
This might be way off base, but here goes. Your avatar is a Pearl logo, so I'm assuming (hate doing that) you have a Pearl kit. If it is an Export kit with the Opti-Loc suspension system, check the bolt inside the shell. If it is loose, it will vibrate and make a really unpleasant sound in the drum after the initial attack dies. My Midtown does this occasionally. If you aren't playing a Pearl kit with Opti-Locs, ignore this post.

airbus172

This might be way off base, but here goes. Your avatar is a Pearl logo, so I'm assuming (hate doing that) you have a Pearl kit. If it is an Export kit with the Opti-Loc suspension system, check the bolt inside the shell. If it is loose, it will vibrate and make a really unpleasant sound in the drum after the initial attack dies. My Midtown does this occasionally. If you aren't playing a Pearl kit with Opti-Locs, ignore this post.
I am playing a pearl kit, a decade maple with Opti locs and the bolt is not loose.

incrementalg

Gold Member
My first though is the reso heads are out of tune. Could be they’re stretched out. The downward pitch bend is result of the reso heads being tuned lower than the batter heads. I’d replace one of the reso heads and tune to match the batter or higher. If it works then do the same with the others.
Probably time to change em anyway if they’re 2 year old stock heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJK

timmdrum

Silver Member
The downward pitch bend is result of the reso heads being tuned lower than the batter heads.
This. I've done it on purpose for customers (reluctantly, because I think it sucks) when I worked in instrument retail. Bring the resos up to a little higher pitched than the batters, and that pitch bend will go away.