Weird question about your little pinkies!

BillBachman

Gold Member
When I see people's pinkie sticking out they're pretty much always squeezing too much in the front of the hand to compensate, that's the reason for concern as I see it. Note that I'm not saying it should always be on the stick, that'd wreck the flow of some things and make a whole bunch of fast & light stuff impossible to play. None the less, when that pinkie is rarely on the stick it's a safe bet that there's extra tension in the hand up front.

Al Strange

I think I’m going to regularly include left handed playing in my practice sessions to expand the repertoire and my mind.
My late great teacher wouldn’t let me progress to the next pattern in my drum books unless I could play it comfortably both left and right handed!! It was years before I realised that not everyone did that... 😂 (y)

SomeBadDrummer

My late great teacher wouldn’t let me progress to the next pattern in my drum books unless I could play it comfortably both left and right handed!! It was years before I realised that not everyone did that... 😂 (y)
Sounds like you had a fabulous instructor! :D I am envious of everyone who had private lessons with a drum teacher.

My ‘formal’ training was two different public high school band directors (neither one with much percussion ability), and then in 12th grade we got an assistant BD who was only about 5 years older than me, that was a drummer.. But no one ever suggested I learn to play left handed... of course there was no one-on-one instruction, it was all in a group setting- either jazz ensemble, marching corps, or symphonic band.

SomeBadDrummer