Weird Al on Serious......

AZStickman

Ok..... I have always enjoyed Big Al Yankovich's musical satire, but never really listened to the music as I focused on his lyrics. The last two days I was on the road in a rental car equipped with sirius radio. I found myself listening to the comedy station (I love the irony of listening to comedy on sirius) and weird Al was aired quite a few times. Knowing Bermuda was drumming I found myself focusing on the music and not the lyrics. I have to say the quality of musicianship behind weird Al is top notch!! Bermuda you definitely follow your own advice........ Good stuff, keep it up brother....... Terry

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, glad ya liked it! The music really is quite good, his originals are often more enjoyable than the parodies. Ultimately, for the average listener and hardcore fan, it's his lyrics that make or break a song.

There are some really, really good originals coming up on the next album, I definitely get to shine! :)

Bermuda

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Absolutely. I can't recall a single thing I've heard from Weird Al (and Bermuda) that DIDN'T have incredible musicianship. It's a big joke act to so many people, but there is more raw talent in it than in a lot of today's popular recording artists, in my opinion.

bermuda

Staff member
I'll be looking for it when it comes out....... Does it have a title yet?..... Terry
It does, and album photos and art are in the works, but no release date yet. Other than the completion of 6 originals, I can't say any more about it.

Bermuda

8Mile

Platinum Member
Hearing Bermuda and Weird Al anywhere is good, but I just recently discovered them on this game I've become addicted to called Song Pop.

Song Pop is like a "name that tune" app for iPhone or computer. You play random people or friends and you earn coins by winning that you can use to purchase playlists. For instance, you can buy Classic Rock, Jazz, 90s Rock, TV Themes, 70s Collection, etc.

Well, there's a playlist called Parody that pretty much exclusively consists of Weird Al songs. Thanks to my acquaintance with Al's music, I find I'm pretty good at that one :)

keepitgreen

Years and years ago, my best friend's dad took the two of us to see Weird Al (and I'm assuming Bermuda!) in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. It would have been in the mid 90's, I'll have to email my buddy's dad and see if he remembers the exact year, but likely 93 or 94.

It was at the Sudbury Grand Theater, and I remember every song VERY well, both of us being huge Weird Al fans. Watching him jump around to Smells Like Nirvana, and dancing around like MJ in that fat suit were definite highlights of my concert days.

And the music? Top shelf. I remember being in awe of how tight the musicians were together, reproducing virtually identically how the cd sounded. Bermuda, I'm guessing that you had a lot to do with that, so big thanks to you for providing such an amazing show for me in my early teen years!

bermuda

Staff member
Thanks keepitgreen, I remember Sudbury (and the big nickel!) and that would have been March, 1995. We did a cross country tour from Victoria to PEI, and had a blast. We also shot video postcards from the road for MuchMusic, and I was the cameraman on most of that stuff, obviously except where I was in the shot. They sent a hi8 camera and tapes with us, and I was responsible for sending the tapes in, and eventually getting the camera back to them in TO.

They're on YouTube, search Weird Al Road Report!

Bermuda

keepitgreen

Thanks keepitgreen, I remember Sudbury (and the big nickel!) and that would have been March, 1995. We did a cross country tour from Victoria to PEI, and had a blast. We also shot video postcards from the road for MuchMusic, and I was the cameraman on most of that stuff, obviously except where I was in the shot. They sent a hi8 camera and tapes with us, and I was responsible for sending the tapes in, and eventually getting the camera back to them in TO.

They're on YouTube, search Weird Al Road Report!

Bermuda
I'll never forget that concert man, it was amazing! One of the things that really amazed me, and we talked about it quite a lot afterwards, was the costume changes. You guys recreated the music videos for those songs really accurately, with minimal (if any) time between songs. How did you do that? I mean, getting Al into that fat suit, must take a few minutes at least...

As a side note, for this next album coming up, any chance you'll be making a tour through Asia? I have a few great ideas for venues in Taiwan! hahaha!

I'm going to search youtube for the Weird Al Road Report right now. Thanks!