Weights?

Fabo

Ankle/wrist weights. Does anyone use them. I was thinking about it and wonder if it would help with the feet or hands at all, but it seems like after taking them off there might be a problem with control or too much power(?) Plus it might be a serious strain especially on the wrists.

Any ideas?

I've read about people who do.....a few have even said they work. If so, good on 'em.....I'm not going to doubt their experiences.

For mine, if I want to be profficient at something, then the best way for me to go forward is to practice that specific task. Or at the very least, do drills that work similar concepts.

I used them for a long time - it was a big mistake. (I was trying to get stronger/faster for Drumming and MMA)

The problem is that you are making the limb muscles strong while NOT making the fingers and feet strong at the same time, then adding the strain on the ankles and wrists stretching the ligaments from the weights physical position.

After time I had problems with my ankles and wrists - took me a long time to recover from their use and get the tendons and joints back in balance.

Get stronger by using your full arms, hands, fingers, legs, feet and toes.

Ankle/wrist weights. Does anyone use them. I was thinking about it and wonder if it would help with the feet or hands at all, but it seems like after taking them off there might be a problem with control or too much power(?) Plus it might be a serious strain especially on the wrists.

Any ideas?

Think about what muscles are actually being worked if you use wrist and ankle weights.

Wrist - the weight it strapped around your wrist, so the muscles being worked are the muscles that flex the elbow: biceps brachii, brachioradialis, brachialis. Now there is some benefit in conditioning those muscle because of the physical nature of drumming, but they won't improve the muscles of the forearm and fingers that we use to manipulate the sticks.

Ankle - the weight is strapped to the ankle, so the muscles that are being worked are (for the most part) the hip flexors.The hip flexors in this case are raising the upper leg (concentric contraction) and work to lower the leg under control (eccentric contraction). We do use a lot of leg action for the bass drum and hi-hat, but I think that regular practice is more that enough condition those muscles for drumming. The muscles that do the lion's share of the work are the posterior and anterior lower leg muscles: calf muscles, anterior tibialis and the peronials.

More importantly, by using the wrist and akle weights the potential for creating muscle imbalances increase tremedously and will put a lot of stress on the the elbows, shoulders, hips and low back.

Having a well rounded strength and condition program will be more than enough to help manage the phyical requirements of drumming.

Patiently and diligently practicing will improve the finer muscles we use for drumming.

I hope this helps.

-r

Last edited:
One of the best ways to hurt your achilles tendon is to wrap ankle weights around your ankles. Every other week somebody wants to know about weights. For general fitness OK but for drums don't bother. The spring on the pedal will return it for you and it doesn't take musch effort to push it down. Drumsticks weigh ounces so I don't think you need weight lifting to be able to move them. Save your money and spend it on lessons, DVD's or books.,

I use wrist weights when I find that my style is getting to much 'in air' movement.

The weights force me to decrease movement execpt that which is involved in the stroke.

I also find that it forces me to have more even strokes as surperflous movements are eliminated.

I also saw muscle development that made holding my arms in a proper position far easier.

The muscular development did not increase my speed directly...but the attention to detail of my stroke that the weights forced DID increase my speed.

Otto

Thanks, great advice. I may just get them for personal use rather than drums then. I had a feeling they wouldn't be too great.

Back