Weight training effects on drumming (advice needed)

BassDriver

Silver Member
Be careful not to injure yourself, RSI in the wrists will definitely affect your drumming.

...also be careful to keep your wrists from bending too far back or forth and to do stretching.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I'm bench pressing 350 pounds with 40 reps and ... haha, just kidding. I can, however, carry my 16" kick drum, but it's hard work ...

joeysnare

Silver Member
ive been lifting weights for about 15 years now, and the only detriments to drumming that ive found is....

1. if i push myself too hard while doing bicep curls my wrists do get a little sore, but it doesnt affect my practice much. if youve been lifting for a long time your used to being sore on a regular basis and should know how to push through it.

2. if your chest gets too big it can get in the way of crossing your hands a bit,just the act of reaching around your own pectoral reduces your reach a bit.

other than that weight lifting has only made me able to better handle the rigors of a demanding drumming shedual,made it easier to lug my gear around, and stomach and back excersices have helped me keep a good posture while playing.

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Here's my input-
I'm 52, and fighting age tooth and claw. I lift religiously, and have found that it helps with EVERYTHING in my life, especially drumming.
I was benching 220 (ten reps, 4 times a night, 3 nights a week) about 8 months ago, and have cut back to just benching 185, (I don't have a spotter anymore) doing 20 reps a night, 2 nights a week.
Lately I've been concentrating on dumbbells, 45# on each, doing curls, butterflies- vertical and horizontal, overheads, corkscrews (best for drumming), and "punch throws".

One of the things that I noticed was the faster movement I could accomplish with hand and wrist movement. Another is that I breathe in better 'cycles' while drumming and get better timing, delivery, and speed. The best reward is the increased stamina- I can do a bunch of fast & hard songs for a longer time, and not have to worry about "pacing" fast and slow songs in the play list.
I stopped sparring (for a few months) a couple years ago, fearing that i might injure my hands, wrists, etc., and not be able to do a gig if that happened. Now I know better- I have a 30 year old sparring partner who is fast and really keeps me on my toes, and it has helped me (not only for exercise and proficiency) but with drumming and reflex, too. Another thing- it helps keep the normal "aches and pains" down to a minimum, or maybe I'm just blaming the "impact" pains on what used to be "geezer body aches".

I'm not a "buff mofo" or anything, just trying my best to stay in shape, and fight that age crap. I do look pretty good for my age, but I'm no magazine cover!

Cheers,
C. p.

Moldy

Silver Member
I'm no ashamed to admit that I was that overweight kid in high school with no arm muscles and little endurance. I mean, I maxed out at 225 pounds at 6'0" one and a half years ago, found it a struggle to do twenty pushups and couldn't run more than a half mile without resting. I've been kicking myself to get into the healthy range of being for a little over a year, but have ramped it up a lot since I decided to go military six months ago.

Anyway, the point is, yeah, exercising affects your drumming. But I'd rather adjust to having more muscle mass and a healthier mind than to having flabby arms, a gut and being depressed.

I've also noticed that technique gets a lot easier when you work your arms and hands out. 20lb free weights and practicing on a guitar would *REALLY* help anyone. Also, a good jog.

JT1

Silver Member
Well i weight trained for many months when i was drumming, i didn't see a huge down fall in my playing however certain factors became more difficult. The heavier the weights got, the more it took its tole on my wrists and that is the primary reason that i stopped. Not only that if you think you are going to play after a night of training your legs...you can forget it! =P

joeysnare

Silver Member
Well i weight trained for many months when i was drumming, i didn't see a huge down fall in my playing however certain factors became more difficult. The heavier the weights got, the more it took its tole on my wrists and that is the primary reason that i stopped. Not only that if you think you are going to play after a night of training your legs...you can forget it! =P
hahahahahah that is so true, if you really train legs hard it can even hurt to sit on the toilett lol.

Buddy9832

If your in better shape you will always perform better. End of story.

Just be sure not to smoke yourself to the point that you will be unable to play. So be smart when you workout. But I can tell you beyond a doubt long term wise it is definitely beneficial for you to work out even with weights.

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
I think weight training does nothing for speed and control. But groove will be improved deeply pocket pocket.

Bernhard