Weak trigger signal

Jabba217

I'm converting a 13" rack tom into an electronic bass drum. I'm using one the Ddrum Red Shot trigger, but the output is too weak. If I use a guitar pedal equalizer to boost the signal going in to the Ddrum brain, will this damage the imput or sound card? It definitely fixes the issue with the signal weakness. I have a cheap Danelectro eq pedal with all sliders pulled down.

toddmc

Gold Member
The red shots were pretty crappy in my experience.
Do you have the peizo snug against the head and have you turned the sensitivity way up?

Jabba217

I'm struggling with the brain and accessing the sensitivity. I'm using the Ddrum Beta Pro module, which I don't have a very high opinion of at this point. There wasn't enough volume for my taste with the original pad hooked up, but there was a significant drop off when I switch to the trigger. Part of that is because I have a trigger on a mesh head.

toddmc

Gold Member
I feel your pain, I tried to trigger a 22" bass drum (also with a mesh head and redshot) with very poor results (a 13" tom shouldn't have this much trouble though).
Unfortunately crappy trigger + crappy module = a bad time.
All I can suggest is to play around with the module to find the sensitivity and cross-talk cancel settings (assuming your module even has these) and tweak them to get a half- decent sound...

Jabba217

I have all the sliders bowl down on the Dan electro EQ pedal. There's a level slider, and I moved that up just high enough so that the read shot is triggering, and it seems to work great. I'm just worried that the dition will boost in signal may damage The module.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I had a problem with a weak trigger signal only I was using a really good trigger. I ended up plugging it into my headphone amp and boosting the signal that way worked really great. I was using an Alesis sample pad for the module when I use that same trigger on something else that triggers just fine.