Weak Drum Endings / help

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
One thing I do on endings that is greatly appreciated....Generally speaking, I try and let the bandleader signal the last note in an ending. I don't like seeing a guy with his guitar neck perched in the air waiting for the drummer to finish his flourish. Tells me the drummer isn't looking around at that most crucial time. When I see that guitar neck go up, I end my thing no matter where I am in it to catch the last note. It looks much better when the bandleader signals it. Don't leave the bandleader hanging when he's trying to cap it off.

C.M. Jones

Generally speaking, I try and let the bandleader signal the last note in an ending. I don't like seeing a guy with his guitar neck perched in the air waiting for the drummer to finish his flourish. Tells me the drummer isn't looking around at that most crucial time. When I see that guitar neck go up, I end my thing no matter where I am in it to catch the last note.
Which works just fine, so long as you're on stage with a somewhat animated guitarist who offers visual signals for transitions. Some guitarists are statues. I've accompanied lots of great musicians who are pretty aloof and inward during performances. They might be stellar players, and their timing might be superb, but they don't engage in much communication once they're in their zones, not even at the ends of songs. Their expectation is that rehearsal is sufficient to keep everyone in sync. They might even see the need for signals as a defect of some sort.

The point is that drum endings will also be determined by the overall identity of the band with which you're performing. Your endings have to suit not just the music but the manner in which your fellow players relate to the music. Formulas are tenuous when seen in that light.

BruceW

I don’t use a double pedal but when I had one that’s what I would do. Tbh there’s no way I could get enough time to practice using a double pedal and that’s the only reason I stopped, if I was able to put the time into perfecting it then I’d definitely consider using one.
Playing that kind of ending is the ONLY reason I am still using a double pedal. I never use the left pedal in a song, only for rolls at the end of a song, if appropriate. Almost a waste of space, but its useful for that purpose. Perhaps someday I'll dedicate enough practice time to figure out how to better use them beyond that :)

To others point, a solid ending, everyone at one time, always impresses. I prefer those to the drawn out mashing of stuff.

tfgretsch

Playing that kind of ending is the ONLY reason I am still using a double pedal. I never use the left pedal in a song, only for rolls at the end of a song, if appropriate. Almost a waste of space, but its useful for that purpose. Perhaps someday I'll dedicate enough practice time to figure out how to better use them beyond that :)

To others point, a solid ending, everyone at one time, always impresses. I prefer those to the drawn out mashing of stuff.
Thanks Bruce good points!