We have a spy amongst us ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Since the forum reboot, every thread is viewed by one more person other than those that reply. Who is this person? What's their agenda? Who do they work for? Does Sticks have a secret official lurking status?

Naigewron

Platinum Member
A thread with three replies has four posts (since the OP isn't included in the "Replies" count). So it actually adds up ;-)

That said, I have no idea how the Views count is calculated. Seems like it's only when a thread reaches a certain number of replies or views that the view counter actually disconnects from the reply counter and starts increasing rapidly.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
At the time of my reply, this thread had one reply and two views...

One reply from Naigewron and two views from keep it simple & Naigewron, it all adds up.

Andy when you submit a thread it is counted as one view straight away.

However, the number of view is not instantly accounted for, it seems to happen in cycles and update the number of view every so often, the same phenomenon apply when you upload a pic on the forum, I had reply for pics I've put on the forum, but the stats of the forum says zero view, a little while later it increase to say 5 views, even if I had no further replies concerning the pic.

I'll post my reply now and edit my post straight away to see if my post has been taken into consideration :)

Edit: Yes, 2 replies and 3 views, it was instantly incremented :)

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Got the post count deal - no problem, but look at threads before the reboot, & you'll see an exponentially bigger count of views than posts (i.e. 24 replies, 374 views). Since the reboot, the number of views is only ever 1 more than the number of replies. Have we been culling lurkers?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Any new members opening the thread for viewing is accounted for, even if they do not reply in it, thus increasing the number of views vs the number of replies :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Any new members opening the thread for viewing is accounted for, even if they do not reply in it, thus increasing the number of views vs the number of replies :)
I'm not so sure Henri. I don't see how there's consistently only one more view than the number of replies. The only threads where that doesn't apply, are ones that existed before the reboot. Something has changed.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I noticed this too, something's busted.

All post reboot threads are counting views as replies + 1.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
However, the number of view is not instantly accounted for, it seems to happen in cycles and update the number of view every so often,
I think MAD has the answer right there. Views aren't added continuously, they're just accumulated and added in bulk. That's why older threads have more logical view counts, while new threads only get the view count corresponding to the posts in the thread.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I think MAD has the answer right there. Views aren't added continuously, they're just accumulated and added in bulk. That's why older threads have more logical view counts, while new threads only get the view count corresponding to the posts in the thread.
That may well be true, but there's no doubt the way it's done has changed since the reboot, & I've yet to see any thread started after the reboot that has a visitor count greater than 1 above the post count.

Truthfully, I think we've had a lurker cull ;) ;) :0

dmacc_2

That may well be true, but there's no doubt the way it's done has changed since the reboot, & I've yet to see any thread started after the reboot that has a visitor count greater than 1 above the post count.

Truthfully, I think we've had a lurker cull ;) ;) :0
Did the count once include people who visit the site and don't log in and now it doesn't?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Did the count once include people who visit the site and don't log in and now it doesn't?
That seems to be the logical explanation, prior the reboot, lurkers were accounted for in the number of views, now the compiled stats only take into account the number of views for the members which have replied within the thread, lurkers and members not actively participating within the thread are not accounted anymore.

Therefore all thread since the reboot will have the OP post plus the subsequent replies accounted for, which = replies + 1

Incidentally, I checked one of the pic cartoon I uploaded recently in this thread "Forums. Get ahead of the competition.", it has 36 replies for 37 views, but the stats for the pic cartoon says 144 views, so either someone out there really like my cartoon, or the stats counts for the number of views has changed, because 37 views for the thread vs 144 views for the pic is not a coherent value.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
If that's the case, what's the point of the view count at all? It will just be replies+1 for eternity.
I agree Naige, totally worthless to do stats in this case, but I think there's a bug somewhere in the stats in some parts of the forum, if it still working for pictures/attachments purposes, it should work everywhere...

dmacc_2

I agree Naige, totally worthless to do stats in this case, but I think there's a bug somewhere in the stats in some parts of the forum, if it still working for pictures/attachments purposes, it should work everywhere...
Agreed.........................

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I know who Sticks is, but what did he do that made him the anti-Christ of the forum?
He isn't regarded as such, but he is the forum's most infamous/reinvent/switch IP bounce back lurker. I only mention him in fun :)