Wax it

intheruff

I searched the thread and found no mention of waxing your sticks (watch it boys). I was going thru a period of losing my grip when the meter topped 140 so bought some Zildjen wax... and man what a difference (beats the hell out of duct tape)! Its like the sticks really stick to your hands. I wonder if I'm the only one lame enough to need this grip enhancement? Do any of you have other ideas on improving grip? I'm doing a few stamina exercises to help the grip, such as the 'pyramid of pain' and Roddy's 10 minute killer (don't know what it's called), but nothing has helped more than the wax. Just curious if I'm alone in this and what other things I might do to help.

Hmmm...I'm always dropping sticks, maybe I'll try some wax out. Thanks for that!

I tried some things back when I was using VF 5As - they're so smooth they're hard to hang on to while keeping a loose grip. I never tried wax but I did experiment with Steady Freddy's suggestion of Plasti-Dip. That stuff works great but in the end I just wanted simplicity so I found a stick I like that has a more easily-grippable finish...VF Akira Jimbo Sigs. I also like Weckl and DeJohnette sigs....all have great non-slip lacquer or paint finishes.

In '91-ish I discovered the ProMark Naturals. It really helped me...but I haven't tried the wax, though. I may give it a shot for the heck of it.

sanding them works for me.

Also, I once sanded a small groove into the fulcrum of the stick (think Danny Carey's signature sticks) and that worked pretty well.

The stuff is called Sex Wax down in Australia. I use it regularly these days. It does work well.

Did you ever find a way to keep it from peeling off? Maybe sanding the stick before application?

The only place it peeled was at the edge by the fulcrum but I found but using a razor or scalpel and making that edge completely straight it stayed much longer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's good to know I'm not alone in this. However, sanding, dipping, scapals, razors, shopping all kinds of sticks (lots of hits and missis there I bet), sounds like a lot of time and money compared to just a quick stick rub on the ol' wax block. I imagine a block (six bucks if I remember right) will probably do a few hundred sticks. I've been using the wax on and off for a few months and hardly made a dent in the block. Sweaty hands might be part of my problem. Sanding my hands? Maybe I should give that a try... haha

My only concern is where does the wax end up, on the cymbals, drums etc. If not the price is right.

"My only concern is where does the wax end up"

You only put it where you hold the sticks, so it doesn't get on the cymbals or heads except where you touch them (no biggee compared to the benefit). But a little does get on the snare hoop where you do rim shots. The stuff doesn't feel uncomfortable or sticky, yet keeps the sticks where you want em' without hardly any effort. The little residue on the snare hoop is very miniscule... scraping it off gives me something to do between songs... haha.

When I was in school, I had an instructor that swore by the product "Gorilla Snot"

Much like the famed Gorilla Glue, this stuff is awesome for holding onto sticks.

I used to implement it with my drumline because of the awesome abilities of my bass drummers of dropping their sticks. Slap a little bit of this stuff on their sticks and they never dropped them again.

I don't use it when I play the set because I change sticks a lot. But if you are having a lot of problems, I suggest you try it out.

When I was in school, I had an instructor that swore by the product "Gorilla Snot"

Much like the famed Gorilla Glue, this stuff is awesome for holding onto sticks..

Use it. Love it. Bought the T-Shirt. Wife likes T-shirt so much I don't get to wear it.

I also second Vater Nudes.

Cheers!

Barry Borden put first aid tape about 3 inches from the bottom of the stick, so if BB did it, I had to do it. It really helped. If you don't like the wax, give it a try.

I don't usually drop sticks when I'm practicing, but when I play in front of a crowd I put this stuff called Gorilla Snot on my sticks. Works a treat and I've never dropped a stick on stage.

Back