Washy china?

SlitYourDrums

Hey guys
So I'm looking for a china with lots of wash if that makes sense. A good example of what I'm talking about is the monster Richard Christy uses on The Sound of Perseverance by Death
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEPnGUPc5s
That china is a 20" Sabian B8 pro which they sadly don't make anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Hey guys
So I'm looking for a china with lots of wash if that makes sense. A good example of what I'm talking about is the monster Richard Christy uses on The Sound of Perseverance by Death
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEPnGUPc5s
That china is a 20" Sabian B8 pro which they sadly don't make anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Sabian china's all tend to be a bit washy because of the extended lip.
Try a Sabian XS china as it has a good amount of wash.
A great step up from the B8.

Just look at larger chinas. Sabian AAX, Meinl Byzance, lots of Turkish manufacturers have good chinas in the 19"+ range that should be something like what you're looking for.

Obviously this audio has been processed but here's a taste of the 20" Byzance Brilliant china in a studio setting. Others to look at are the Sabian 20" HHX Zen China, 19" AAXtreme China, Meinl 20" Byzance Traditional China, and 20" Mb20 Rock China.

I also have several chinas I've owned that I made sound demos of in my channel below, though they're all 18" so not quite as broad-sounding as a 20".

Chinese cymbals with a Turkish bell (like what Sabian uses) have a much longer sustain than ones that have the cup-shaped Chinese bell.

Used B8Pro 20" pop up from time to time on eBay, but if you don't want to wait the 18" sounds pretty similar. Sabian AA Chinese also have that kind of sound.

Can you pinpoint in that recording link where this "washy" china cymbal sound is? I didn't hear anything that sounded washy.

If you want very washy, I have a 22" Zildjian Swish Knocker that totally kills. Billy Cobham used to use 26" Swish back in the 70s that was the epitome of the oriental cymbal sound before Neil Peart hit the scene with his china that sounded like a phase gun. I didn't hear anything that sounded washy in the video link.

Can you pinpoint in that recording link where this "washy" china cymbal sound is? I didn't hear anything that sounded washy.

If you want very washy, I have a 22" Zildjian Swish Knocker that totally kills. Billy Cobham used to use 26" Swish back in the 70s that was the epitome of the oriental cymbal sound before Neil Peart hit the scene with his china that sounded like a phase gun. I didn't hear anything that sounded washy in the video link.

Sorry, washy may not be the right word. But the first time you hear it is 3 seconds in.

Sorry, washy may not be the right word. But the first time you hear it is 3 seconds in.

OK. The china heard 3 seconds in sounds ALOT like my 22" Swish Knocker. Go get one of those. You'll love it ;)

Just had a listen. There's one from the UFiP stable that fits that sound pretty comfortably:

20" Rough China

Lend your ears to the various demos on YouTube and see what you think!

Back