Was given a Tama 6740 last night...looking for info

Those old 5000s you have are way faster than the newer ones still. I played one of those for at least a decade. Can't get along with the new ones at all. Way too heavy. Haven't tried them converted to strap. Maybe that's the trick with those, but at this point I won't be finding out till I run out of parts for my Yamaha. it'll be a while....As hard as I am on my stuff, it'll likely be my last pedal.
The 5000s are great for most stuff, but the 6740 really excels at the fluttery double stuff like Good Times Bad Times and the intro of We’re An American Band. And then compared to the Tama, it feels mushy.

So me not wanting to toss them and buy something else for a double, this conversion thing sounds like it might have possibilities. Can you convert the 5000s like mine?

Man, I cannot believe this pedal! I went through all my others last night and they all feel so mushy by comparison.
Put your pedals on a scale. My guess is the Tama pedal is significantly lighter. A lighter pedal has less mass to move, and therefore should be more responsive to what you are doing.

Could also be the beater. A lighter beater takes less motivation to move than a heavier one.

Might be a combination of the two, with spring tension thrown in for good measure.

Yeah, it’s weird how the chain drive designs took over for so long, and now the old strap drive is making a comeback of sorts. Sure ruined my enthusiasm for the 5000, I’ll tell you that.
It was the Camco by Tama (one of my favs) that revolutionized the chain/sprocket thing. Your DW's are a very close copy of that pedal. Those 5000's you have, have the wire frame attached to a floorplate. Take the floorplate off (the main pedal), and you essentially have a Camco by Tama double pedal.

camco double pedal.jpg camco 1.jpg

Last edited:
It was the Camco by Tama (one of my favs) that revolutionized the chain/sprocket thing. Your DW's are a very close copy of that pedal. Those 5000's you have, have the wire frame attached to a floorplate. Take the floorplate off (the main pedal), and you essentially have a Camco by Tama double pedal.

View attachment 123993 View attachment 123994
I hate those plates! Nothing but trouble.

The 5000s are great for most stuff, but the 6740 really excels at the fluttery double stuff like Good Times Bad Times and the intro of We’re An American Band. And then compared to the Tama, it feels mushy.

So me not wanting to toss them and buy something else for a double, this conversion thing sounds like it might have possibilities. Can you convert the 5000s like mine?
The shaft is the same size as the new, so you'll just have to find the cams to convert them. For some reason the DW parts page isn't loading for me, so I can't search it.

The shaft is the same size as the new, so you'll just have to find the cams to convert them. For some reason the DW parts page isn't loading for me, so I can't search it.
I just found them on Reverb. I was afraid of that…I’d have to take apart the whole top part to do it. I’ve never even considered it because I’m afraid I won’t be able to put it back together or I’ll break a tiny part that costs $50 to replace. Still, I may have to chance it.

I just found them on Reverb. I was afraid of that…I’d have to take apart the whole top part to do it. I’ve never even considered it because I’m afraid I won’t be able to put it back together or I’ll break a tiny part that costs $50 to replace. Still, I may have to chance it.
I hear you. I've taken pedals apart before with no issue. Found a super clean Yamaha Flying Dragon that was left handed and thought, no problem....I'll convert. Couldn't even get the first bearing off. Absolutely nothing came apart on that pedal no matter how much I tried. Still not sure what prevented it. When I finally found another set, the shaft popped off for cleaning as intended.

I hate those plates! Nothing but trouble.

Now ..... the "original" Camco was strap drive. And DW makes strap (or belt) drive pedals still, but not doubles. Gibralter makes a double-strap drive pedal. And the main pedal has a wire frame ..... just like the Tama by Camco double. https://gibraltarhardware.com/colle...000-series-strap-drive-double-bass-drum-pedal

I don't know of any others ..... but you can convert (with kits) several pedals to strap drive. And that's about how popular strap drive is;)
You have to "convert" a direct/chain drive pedal over with a kit:ROFLMAO:

I'm with you on "not converting", unless you just like wrenching on stuff. You may make the conversion, and STILL not like DW's. I'd look for a "used" strap. My guess is "double-pedal" guys want chain or direct drive ...... 99% or more. And strap players tend to predominantly be single pedal cats. You know, jazz dudes and other highly elevated forms of music;)

You might wanna research the Gibraltar pedal ..... and see if it's a candidate. And then sell off some of your "pedal collection" to defer the cost.

It's not that big of a deal. Here is the exploded parts schematic:

20220906_133150.jpg

Remember, these things are assembled by hand. Nothing is done you cant undo.

It's not that big of a deal. Here is the exploded parts schematic:

View attachment 123996

Remember, these things are assembled by hand. Nothing is done you cant undo.
Arrrrgh! So what all tools would I need beyond the obvious?

Now ..... the "original" Camco was strap drive. And DW makes strap (or belt) drive pedals still, but not doubles. Gibralter makes a double-strap drive pedal. And the main pedal has a wire frame ..... just like the Tama by Camco double. https://gibraltarhardware.com/colle...000-series-strap-drive-double-bass-drum-pedal

I don't know of any others ..... but you can convert (with kits) several pedals to strap drive. And that's about how popular strap drive is;)
You have to "convert" a direct/chain drive pedal over with a kit:ROFLMAO:

I'm with you on "not converting", unless you just like wrenching on stuff. You may make the conversion, and STILL not like DW's. I'd look for a "used" strap. My guess is "double-pedal" guys want chain or direct drive ...... 99% or more. And strap players tend to predominantly be single pedal cats. You know, jazz dudes and other highly elevated forms of music;)

You might wanna research the Gibraltar pedal ..... and see if it's a candidate. And then sell off some of your "pedal collection" to defer the cost.
Lol…Jazz dudes ;)

Well I’m not sure what I think anymore after tightening the DW as tight as it would go. It’s not nearly as mushy as it was, though it still isn’t as quick with doubles as the 6740. Strap drive may still be in its future but I’m not struggling with it like I was.

And that got me to thinking ...... maybe take the plate off the DW 5000 main, and see how it feels.
Tried it, and the heel plate isn’t directly connected to the frame, only to the plate. Nice idea if I could though.

I hear you. I've taken pedals apart before with no issue. Found a super clean Yamaha Flying Dragon that was left handed and thought, no problem....I'll convert. Couldn't even get the first bearing off. Absolutely nothing came apart on that pedal no matter how much I tried. Still not sure what prevented it. When I finally found another set, the shaft popped off for cleaning as intended.
Because of course it did ;)

Well I’m not sure what I think anymore after tightening the DW as tight as it would go. It’s not nearly as mushy as it was, though it still isn’t as quick with doubles as the 6740. Strap drive may still be in its future but I’m not struggling with it like I was.
Well ..... that's at least progress;)

Of course, another option would be get a second 6740 ....... and another bass drum:ROFLMAO:

Well ..... that's at least progress;)

Of course, another option would be get a second 6740 ....... and another bass drum:ROFLMAO:
Bass drums I got! But I don’t have a leg less hat stand or a brace for it, nor the patience for loading in a giant set. I barely have patience for the double.

Not a problem. I do stuff like that all the time. And your experience is very relevant, and it makes me wonder if it’ll be a lateral move with the DW, too.

And now that you mentioned it, what IS the sprocket for? Maybe it adds a little snap to the beater action?

And now that you mentioned it, what IS the sprocket for? Maybe it adds a little snap to the beater action?
Initially, the sprocket kept the chain aligned with the original design. DW later created the meat tenderizer sprocket, because......well...because they could. I personally can't tell much difference between my Yamaha 6110 (strap) and 7210a (single chain) or 8210 (single chain). At first, there wasn't much difference in the 9310 (double chain) either, but I started realizing my ability to do fast doubles had diminished, till I converted it to a strap drive. Now, I can't tell the difference between any of my pedals by feel alone. No difference in stability between baseplate model and not. Strap drive may be a bit smoother than the single chain, but that may be in my head. No doubt the strap and double chain are different. Up to a couple of weeks ago, I had a 9600D direct drive too. I much prefer the strap feel, but speed was about the same. Direct Drive just felt harsh to me with way too much vibration. I found the strap to be a good middle of the road option where the pedal is responsive yet masks the vibrations.

Arrrrgh! So what all tools would I need beyond the obvious?
You need a socket to remove the nut opposite side of the spring perch (step 1).

You need allen wrench(es) to remove the spring perch and bearing collars, and to loosen the cam (step 2).

The chain is (I believe) attached with a screw at the footboard (step 3).

That should be all you need to undo.

Step 4: Remove bearings to free the hex shaft.

Step 5: Remove hex shaft assembly.

Step 6: Swap cam and chain* for strap setup.

Reassembly is done in reverse order.

*Make sure you note in which position the new cam goes on. You have 12 choices. Six are backwards, and five of the six remaining are wrong.

Back