Was classic rock drumming sort of abandoned?

I understood you (y)
I was just saying, it was a sort of collective move to work that way, after a few years of drum machine/dominance in music production.
Most drummers are happy to work with clicks, and alongside programmed keyboard parts. Most of those who don't know they aren't very good at it. It takes practice.

Yes but I think the danger is that people assume it’s a bad thing. I don’t really think it is - it’s just a choice and a set of tools. I think Classic Rock drumming (whatever that is) has gone away because Classic Rock has (fortunately) gone away and the public consciousness has moved on.

I used to think years ago we needed more Classic Rock bands. Then The Darkness happened and I was suddenly happy to admit I was wrong…
Yes, not saying it's a bad thing (although it's not my thing).

The trouble with a lot of old school type bands, like what's that other one that sounds like Zeppelin, can't remember their name, is they tend to be sort of caricatures, almost like tribute bands, and it makes them seem kind of silly.

Yes, not saying it's a bad thing (although it's not my thing).

The trouble with a lot of old school type bands, like what's that other one that sounds like Zeppelin, can't remember their name, is they tend to be sort of caricatures, almost like tribute bands, and it makes them seem kind of silly.
Like I said before, you all won’t like it whether new bands forge their own path in rock or sound like something from the past.

My crackpot theory: It's just more time consuming and expensive to record the old way, so drummers have adapted to the newer (cheaper) approach to recording.

I used to think that a live drummer imitating a drum machine was like a weightlifter competing against a forklift. But these days I hear drummers playing super crisp, super precise stuff, and realize it sounds WAY better than a drum machine. There's just so much more information in a track recorded by a human being. It makes for much more complex listening, so the ear isn't bored to deafness after hearing a song three times.

The singer on that Montrose LP ain't too shabby, either! ;)
That first Montrose album was called "the bible" by someone. By someone who was right.

I wasn't fortunate enough to be of age to FULLY appreciate it at the time, but I was old enough to see them live during their heyday anyway. That's 1 thing I'm thankful for in having irresponsible wannabe hippy parents.

Oh man this is my time to shine!

I come across a fair amount of dudes (myself included) that have done their best to keep the lineage of rock guys that can can almost play jazz alive.

Patrick Keeler has always brought a killer swagger to The Raconteurs

Robbie from All them Witches slays. Bill Ward/Bonham grooves for sure. Plus he's an absolute nerd when it comes to vintage drums and cymbals.

More from the Pink Floyd/Psychedelia angle but Kevin Parker and his live drummer Julien are both tapped into that feel

Obligatory KGLW. It's hard to find some straight up "classic rock" drumming because of how hard these guys genre bend so I shared a rare epic guitar solo moment instead that reminded me of some Bonham phrasing. Cavs is a killer drummer though and this band is slept on by the older generations.

I could go on and on but I'm already out of control with the videos so I'm gonna reign it in. Lots of modern dudes heavily inspired by jazz and the classic rock greats, they just don't have the major record label/mob support behind their releases anymore so they never scratch the surface.

I wouldn’t put the onus on drummers today as much as the music’s composers…guitar or vocalists in particular. How many drummers are the composers of today’s music? Do they demand power chords with no melody?
Guitar solos with no references to the songs, just speed or distortion?
Vocals that more yelling than singing?

Ok, rants over😬

I wouldn’t put the onus on drummers today as much as the music’s composers…guitar or vocalists in particular. How many drummers are the composers of today’s music? Do they demand power chords with no melody?
Guitar solos with no references to the songs, just speed or distortion?
Vocals that more yelling than singing?

Ok, rants over😬
Agreed, all that yelling, power chords, and speed and distortion in the late 60s was pretty bad. Let's go back to the 40s please.

Agreed, all that yelling, power chords, and speed and distortion in the late 60s was pretty bad. Let's go back to the 40s please.
Misunderstood…I meant today's music but either way, drummers have no say. If the leader wants a “metal” sound then 2-4 is out, slam the “1”…is what I meant. A slight bit of rock shuffle syncopation throws guitarists timing off if they’re used to a simpler rock beat.🙄

Last edited:
Misunderstood…I meant today's music but either way, drummers have no say. If the leader wants a “metal” sound then 2-4 is out, slam the “1”…is what I meant. A slight bit of rock shuffle syncopation throws guitarists timing off if they’re used to a simpler rock beat.🙄
Nope, I didn't misunderstand at all.

Thanks very much for the broad range of opinions.

I think Classic Rock Drumming hasn't gone anywhere , just that people source their music differently now.. It's all on record , and it used to be on the Radio all the time. not so much any more fortunately apparently..

Back