Warning: Parental Advisory movie

roncadillac

Platinum Member
Does anyone remember the vh1 movie about the 1985 PMRC censorship hearing called "Warning: Parental Advisory" that came out sometime around 2000 (+/- a year or two)? I remember watching it as a kid and my wife has interest in watching it but I can't find it anywhere! I tried netflix, amazon, pluto, youtube, vimeo, even the local library.

Griffin Dunne as Frank Zappa?! Mariel Hemingway as Tipper Gore?! Good golly.

Anyhoozle, this looks like maybe the entire thing?

It's a really cool movie, especially for any type of artist to watch. It's done very well for a 'made for tv movie' and I remember Dee Snyder giving his exact same speech/presentation that he did in 1985. It's certainly worth a watch and clocks in under two hours.

I had fond memories of going to The Wall (before FYE and Amazon, etc) as a kid with my dad to pick up the latest and greatest rock albums (STP and Beastie Boys, to name a few) and we would sit in his car and listen to them cover to cover. I would always read the books that came with the CDs and was always curious about the parental advisory stickers.

I met Tipper Gore in the tiny little Texas town of Salado, one day in 1992. She seemed like a decent, thoughtful person. I've never quite understood why she chose rock music lyrics as her issue. She should have put her efforts into environmental awareness, IMHO.

I met Tipper Gore in the tiny little Texas town of Salado, one day in 1992. She seemed like a decent, thoughtful person. I've never quite understood why she chose rock music lyrics as her issue. She should have put her efforts into environmental awareness, IMHO.
What do you think gets more headlines ,climate change or somebody getting arrested for shock and awe lyrics?
Not everybody listens to NPR.

Lyrical content was a hot topic across most genre's around that time so I'm not surprised. The general debaucherous nature of the 80's 'top 40' rock/metal scene, the rise of what was considered 'gangster rap', a resurgence in punk outside of the UK, and people just starting to (finally) question David Allan Coe lol.

For the same reasons others like her have gone after dancing, radio, movies, tv, and comic books, and since have gone on to video games and the internet.
To divide, to control, and to profit.

I remember this whole debacle, and how it suddenly limited my ability to purchase whatever music I wanted. I have a cool mom though, so she would buy it for me.

For those who dont remember or weren't alive yet, here is a brief rundown of the PMRC and the 15 filthy songs that caused the mess:

I'm sorry, but I just don't see Tipper Gore or her cronies listening to Venom, Merciful Fate, or Judas Priest. Metal was purposely targeted for stereotypical reasons. Yet somehow Slayer didnt make the list.

I've never quite understood why she chose rock music lyrics as her issue.
Rock lyrics were a side casualty in her full frontal assualt on Luther Campbell and 2 Live Crew. Apparently "the F___ shop" was too much for her and she lacked the ability to hit the off button.

I remember this whole debacle, and how it suddenly limited my ability to purchase whatever music I wanted. I have a cool mom though, so she would buy it for me.

For those who dont remember or weren't alive yet, here is a brief rundown of the PMRC and the 15 filthy songs that caused the mess:

I'm sorry, but I just don't see Tipper Gore or her cronies listening to Venom, Merciful Fate, or Judas Priest. Metal was purposely targeted for stereotypical reasons. Yet somehow Slayer didnt make the list.

Imagine if someone sent her a copy of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas lol

My mom had to buy "Attack of the Killer B's" for me because the dude at Sam Goody was a strict by the rules guy... for $4.25/hr.
"Startin' up a Posse" was a direct shot across her censorship bow.

Rock lyrics were a side casualty in her full frontal assualt on Luther Campbell and 2 Live Crew. Apparently "the F___ shop" was too much for her and she lacked the ability to hit the off button.
Yet no hip hop/rap made her list. How ironic.

Imagine if someone sent her a copy of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas lol
Someone still should! Or anything by Cannibal Corpse.

My mom had to buy "Attack of the Killer B's" for me because the dude at Sam Goody was a strict by the rules guy... for $4.25/hr.
"Startin' up a Posse" was a direct shot across her censorship bow.
"Hook in Mouth" by Megadeth is as well. There were actually quite a few anti Tipper/PMRC songs written soon after.

Then we eventually got RATM. Bet she loves them...

Yet no hip hop/rap made her list. How ironic.

You have a point. I didn't realize until I just looked that hip hop has been with us nearly 50 years. Kool Herc, now 65, is credited with originating the genre.

I think it was Carlin who joked about the playing records backwards was making kids worship the devil, so if you put in a message that was "go mow the lawn" there would be a bunch of stone-drunk teenagers riding around the cul-de-sac on John Deeres?

I remember in Orange County, CA , Tower records asking for over 18 ID to be able to buy a record.
Funny thing is, you could go into a public library regardless of age, and read Burroughs's Naked Lunch.

Last edited:

funny, because it never effected that for me, and I was in my early teens in the mid 80's. I was able to buy anything I wanted at our local record stores. Granted, it was Columbus Ohio in the mid 80's...we were not even a blip on anyones radar screen back then, but I remember being worried about not being able to buy stuff after it happened. Our stores probably just didn't enforce or check the rules. We had no big chain stores in town back then, other than in Sears.

well, back then, those bands were "underground"...so she probably didn't even know they existed. She was targeting most of the bands on MTV and the Fundamentalist Christian "watch groups" lists...

Back