Warm up routine

spirit

Whats yours- I loosen up by doing some fast paradidles around the kit, crossing over hands etc, and flams with rolls, fives, sevens, nines etc.

I do this for around ten mins before practice and playing out live. It helps me loosen and put the mind in the right place everytime. A swift pint also helps relax.
I live with my I pod on my ears- always getting tunes I am going to play with various bands locked in.

Dedworx

i just usually play slow 16th note based open grooves. no repetition and just place accents anywhere and use the whole kit. starting by using a lot of space with only a few notes and getting a bit busier using 32nd notes in places as i warm up. i also do this all swung and playing triplets depending on whats to follow(performance wise).

unfortunately a lot of the time i dont get to warm up but do it gradually through the first few tunes. ( at the moment i'm not playing really high energy stuff, but i landed a gig recently that I'll definitely need to warm up for.)

jazzin'

Silver Member
I have found a great warm up routine lately that is working wonders. It's a lot of fun also.

It's called the 'Grid' exercise and is fairly common especially with drum corps. You work it in what's called the 4-2-1 sequence and there is a great article and primer on it in an old Modern Drummer article by Terry Branam from July 08.

It basically involves running accents through each of the the partials of, say in this instance, triplets and variations of triplets such as flam accents, flam drag, flammed five stroke etc etc.

The great thing though is the 4-2-1 sequence which means that the first section is played for a full four bar measure on the first partial, then accent the second partial for one bar, then the third for a bar. That is the '4' part.

The '2' part is doing the same thing but with three measures of 2/4 and the last is running an accent on each partial over a single measure of 3/4. Basically it goes three measures of 4/4, three measures of 2/4 and then one measure of 3/4. That is of course just for the triplets as there is only three partials. You can change it up any way you want with any rudiments. Great for running hand motions very quickly through changes. Check out that article though. It's a good one.