Want your input on steel snare drums.....

steadypocket

Gold Member
Steel being much harder than aluminum and brass, are all steel shells welded with a seam?
No. I parted with a Q Drums Gentlemen’s series seamless (spun) steel snare. It was too loud for any application I’d use it for, but otherwise it was one of the more pleasing steel drums I’ve heard. As a general rule I dislike steel snares—find them harsh and clangy. I once owned a Pearl Reference cast steel that did nothing for me and I believe Sonor makes a cast steel Steve Smith signature model. There are others.

cheeswhiz

I have an Oriollo Manganese Steel snare. It's pretty great, to my ear it sounds somewhere in the middle between aluminum and brass. Not as dry as aluminum, not as throaty/explosive as brass.

Attachments

notvinnie

I've heard the Gretsch USA Solid Steel snares are nice. Interested in a metal snare myself.
I had one. It was very, very loud, even when not striking the drum forcefully. I sold it, mainly due to the faulty Lightning throwoff which has bolts made of cheap pot metal.

Scottie15

I had one. It was very, very loud, even when not striking the drum forcefully. I sold it, mainly due to the faulty Lightning throwoff which has bolts made of cheap pot metal.
Interesting. Tell me more. Have the throw offs been addressed since then?

Armor of Light

I can vouch for the cheap Pearl Sensitone. Great drum, very sensitive indeed, great sound. Can´t go wrong for 130 bucks new.
The Ludwig Supralite is very nice as well.
Gretsch Brooklyn COS - killer drum!
My workhorse snare! Put a Big Fat Snare Drum ring on there and it is niiiiice. With just gels it sounds fantastic as well.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I just bought a DW collectors stainless steel snare and it sounds really good. It has good body and bite without the pingy overtones I used to associate with steel snares. It's definitely a rock snare though...which is perfect because I play like an ape.

notvinnie

Interesting. Tell me more. Have the throw offs been addressed since then?
I think they have gone through numerous iterations/modifications/upgrades. If I were to ever get a Gretsch snare again I would opt for the Micro-Sensitive throw-off. The Lightning is sort of a "floating" throw-off and adjusting/installing wires is not trivial, even if the bolts don't snap in half or strip.

TJK

The Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 6.5x14 is a great drum to own without breaking the bank. 10 lugs and superb build quality for around $150 US, I think. Look for the model SSS1465 if you're interested.
Sometimes they go down to 99, fine drums

TJK

I've played bronze, brass, and copper but for some reason never thought of steel. Maybe because their prices are so low I figure they must be more beginner drums. Many of them apparently are student drums or maybe their price point is the reason many are marketed as student models. I've seen high end, high priced steel snares too. Not looking to spend a lot of money so I'm wondering what you think about steel. Sound wise, brand, etc. I'm inclined toward Premier, Pearl and maybe a Slingerland festival. Thoughts???
Not sure your price point but the LP snare is very interesting.