Want your input on steel snare drums.....

J-W

Basically, my understanding is steel shells are loud. Great for getting "past" those Hi Watt and Marshall amps when gigging. My Pearl phosphor bronze is pretty loud too but not overwhelming. Guess I'm just going to buckle down and buy a steel for $100 or less to give it a try. BTW, I had a custom aluminum shell made. 5mm thick and cast rather than spun or rolled and welded. That snare drum was LOUD. Ended up selling it because it just overpowered everything including cymbals.
You are correct, at least in my experience, that they are loud. I had a Ludwig Supralite and it worked well live, and it sounded great and did manage to cut through those Marshall stacks better than my Supraphonic but I sold it because I am no longer competing with that kind of wattage now.
The Premier steel snares are very nice too and their chrome finish is second to none (although, I know that isn't a big concern of yours ;))

IBitePrettyHard

Exactly what @Soulfinger said. The Ludwig Supralite, Pearl Sensitone Steel, and Gretsch Brooklyn Chrome Over Steel are all great sounding snares...and they're cheap!

I have the 14x6.5 Supralite and I love it! It sounds arguably as good as a Supraphonic, only with a little more 'zing.' That's crazy for only costing around $200.

I haven't played the Sensitone Steel as far as I know, but I've heard good things. And the Gretsch Brooklyn Steel is on my wish list for sure. It has a unique sound compared to the other 2.

johnwesley

Silver Member
You are correct, at least in my experience, that they are loud. I had a Ludwig Supralite and it worked well live, and it sounded great and did manage to cut through those Marshall stacks better than my Supraphonic but I sold it because I am no longer competing with that kind of wattage now.
The Premier steel snares are very nice too and their chrome finish is second to none (although, I know that isn't a big concern of yours ;))
I am well versed in Premier chrome. Have owned 4 2000 models, 3 Royal Ace and several Hi Fis, one of which was the brushed aluminum. Am thinking Premier steel is the way to go.

J-W

Sounds like we have a winner. The prices are hard to beat as well (as you already know), for what you get.
Post up it up in the "latest purchase" thread when you acquire one. I would say to include a sound file, but I like my hearing as-is. ;)

wraub

I got an incredibly cheap basic steel snare at a thrift store a while back... I put on new heads and now it sounds like an incredibly cheap basic snare with new heads. :D

I'm probably going to mess with it just to see what, if anything, can be done to improve it... so far, a sound ring (cut from an old head) seems to be a step in the right direction. At the worst, I have a fairly indestructible thing to experiment with.
Maybe I'll coat it in Duratex or Duplicolor or bedliner or something. :D

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Consider any of Jim Beier's snare drums. You can't go wrong with a Beier snare drum! Also Ronn Dunnett's stainless steel or carbon steel snare drums are really nice.

Patrice B

Is my Supreme MIJ chrome or steel? Anyway, almost exclusively using this one lately. I have pricier ones (Ludwig, Tama) but come back to this one...

J-W

Chrome is a plating for metals. Magnet will tell you if it's steel, aluminum, brass, copper or mercury.
A magnet will only tell you if it's steel or not. It won't tell you if it's brass, aluminum, or copper.

RickP

Gold Member
The only steel shell snare I have really liked is a Sonor Prolite Stella shell model . It wasn’t as harsh and excessively ringing that many lower and mid price steel shell snares have .
I have not had the opportunity to try a Keplinger but would love to try one .

Pootle

Another vote for the Gretsch Brooklyn CoS, I’ve got a 13x7 which is a beauty. Relatively inexpensive too.

GOOSE72

Sounds like we have a winner. The prices are hard to beat as well (as you already know), for what you get.
Post up it up in the "latest purchase" thread when you acquire one. I would say to include a sound file, but I like my hearing as-is. ;)
J-W who won? I re read this thread cant get it. Regarding sound files or you tube videos to get a idea of what anything sounds like. You are not suggesting that are you?

D

Deleted member 525878

+1 for the Ludwig Supralite.
I own an 8x14 but it is as crisp as any other snare I own. Dynamically versatile, I used it on Rock AND Jazz gigs with compliments on it from other musicians.
Different sizes available. Try one out whenever you can John.