wall construction

Andrew239

Ahoy ,
I am thinking about builing a small room inside my garage to keep the police away.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the attached wall construction.
The ceiling will be similar construction.
Space is a premium, so the double wall construction will not really work as i need to keep it as small as possible.
The "peacemaker" shown is a dense rubber sound barrier that comes in a roll and attaches to the studs. - I can post a link if anyone wants to check it out.
I hope the attachment works ok

A couple of questions.
1. Should a "square" room be avoided ie: inside wall lengths the same ?
2. Should i try to "break" the 90 degree corners inside ?
3. How much differnce would 1/2" drywall(gyprock) make, as opposed to 5/8" thk ?
4. I was thinking of not having a door, but hanging some sound curtain infront of the opening. Will this defeat the purpose of doing the room, and should i just put in a regular door ?

thank you for any advice.

Attachments

Aeolian

Platinum Member
If you read Rod Gervais' book on home studio construction, you will see that you don't want to have the outer skin where the wall is common to an outside wall. Just fill the space with more insulation. The double sided construction is only for walls that are free standing and radiate into the rest of the garage.

The biggest thing is how well you can isolate the framing from the rest of the garage structure. If it is truly free standing and just attached to the concrete slab, it may work out pretty well.

I don't know much about the rubber gasket stuff. I'm not sure how much it isolates considering there is a rigid fastener going through it from the drywall to the stud. I think that damping the drywall is better achieved by using Green Glue inbetween the inside layers.

Metal studs are more lossy than wood framing, but you will be pushing it to hold up a free standing ceiling. And you don't want to attach the ceiling to the existing house framing or it won't matter how great the walls are.

You are right in that square dimensions are to be avoided. Or even multiples of each other. Pay attention to the floor to ceiling dimension and the width so that they aren't too close to each other. Non parallel walls are great but I wouldn't try to get too fancy with the design. Good construction and isolation trumps fancy shapes. Especially if your goal is to reduced outside SPLs. You are probably going to want to put some sort of bass traps in the corners, so mitering them off in the room shape won't help and will just make the construction more involved.

Good luck, you have a more realistic handle on what you need to do than most folks who come on here asking about carpet and egg cartons.

Don't forget your door. If you can find a used industrial steel door with frame from some construction remodel try and grab it. The door is usually the weakest link in the whole endeavor.

Andrew239

Thanks a lot for your reply, I appreciate it.
The way i build things, there is a very good chance of walls not being parallel lol.
Do bass traps really do what they say, stop low frequencies escaping the room, or do they just stop the reflecting and amplifying in the corners ?

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Nothing really prevents sound from escaping from a room except vacuum. You do the best you can with isolation. Bass traps just limit the build up or concentration within the room. You don't really need them if all you're after is an isolated practice space, but they will help make the sound more balanced. When your drums sound better to you, they are more enjoyable to play.