"Wake 'n Break" Series

Today's wake 'n break is a four on the floor groove that has anticipated snare hits. Looking at our feet first, both our bass drum and hi-hats have notes falliing on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on the "e" of each beat. Next, our hi-hats have open notes falling on the "&" of each beat. Last but not least, our snare drum has flams on the "a" of 1 and the "a" of 3, as well as taps on the "a" of 2 and the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1913 - Four On The Floor Groove With Anticipated Snare Hits

Notation:

Happy Humpday (I think)! Today's wake 'n break is a simple and sparse groove in 6/4 where our hands are always falling together in unison and only either upbeats or anticipated notes. Looking at our bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, 5, and 6. Next, our hi-hats are splashed on 2, 4, and 6. Finally, we come to our hands where our snare and ride are falling in unison on the "&" of 2, the "&a" of 4, the "&a" of 5, and on the "&a" of 6, with the only accented note being the "&" of 2 (which is also accented on the bell of the ride). As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1914 - Simple And Sparse Groove In 6/4 With Hands Falling In Unison

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a slow and heavy backbeat with a Bonham vibe to it (think "When The Levee Breaks" or "Kashmir") and it also utilizes a shaker on my hi-hat rod which is unfortunately out of frame. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a". Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on "1e" and on "3e&a". Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e&a" of 2 and on the "e&a" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hat foot is playing chicked notes on the "&a" of each beat. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1915 - Heavy & Lumbering Backbeat With A Shaker On The Hats & A Bonham Vibe

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is an afrobeat inspired groove in honor of the legendary Tony Allen passing yesterday. Taking the ride bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1e" and on "3e". Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling on "1e&", "2e&", "3e&", and on "4e&". Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on the 2 and on 4, as well as ghost notes on the "a" of 1, the "&a" of 2, and on the "&a" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats (with a shaker on the rod) are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation will be coming soon. RIP Tony Allen!

Wake n Break No. 1916 - Afrobeat Inspired Groove In Memory of Tony Allen

Today's wake 'n break is a four bar bell groove in 6/8, utilizing a cowbell and broken ogene on the floor tom. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1, 3, 5" in the first and third bars and on 6 in the second and fourth bars. Looking at the lower pitched bell next, we have notes falling on "1, 3, 5" in the first and third bars, as well as on 2 in the fourth bar. Moving along to the higher pitched bell, we have notes falling on "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" in the second bar and on 1 and 4 in the fourth bar. Next, our snare drum (with dropped wires) is falling on 1 in the second bar and on 3 in the fourth bar. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on 3 in the first and third bars, as well as on 1 and 5 in the second and fourth bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1917 - A Four Bar Bell Groove In 6/8

Notation:

Shout out to Casey Griswold and www.havoly.com for sponsoring today's wake 'n break, which is a funky two bar quasi-linear groove with a quick single handed 32nd note flurry on the hi-hats via the see-saw technique. :) Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 3 in the first bar and on the "e" of 2 in the second bar. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e&a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, on "3e", and on the "e" and "a" of 4 in the first bar. Meanwhile, the second bar has notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, the "&" of 2, our thirty second note flurry on 3, and then notes on the "e&" of 4 with the "a" of 1 and the "&" of 4 being played as open notes. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 1 and the "&" of 4 in the first bar and on 2 and 4 in the second bar. We also have ghost notes falling on the "a" of 2 and the "&" of 3 in the first bar and on the "e" of 1 and the "a" of 2 in the second. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation link will be available to the youtube video description within the next hour.

Wake n Break No. 1918 - Funky Two Bar Quasi-Linear Groove Utilizing The See-Saw Technique On The Hi-Hats

Notation:

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar four on the floor groove where we are alternating between sixteenth notes and quintuplets on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have a simple quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, and 4 in both bars. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have sixteenth notes on "1e&a" and "3e&a" in the first bar, and then on "1e&a", "3e&a", and "4e&a" in the second bar. Meanwhile, we have sets of quintuplets starting on 2 and on 4 in the first bar and then a single set starting on 2 in the second bar. Last but not least, we have our snare providing a strong backbeat with accented notes on 2 and 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1919 - Four On The Floor Alternating Between Sixteenth Notes & Quintuplets On The Hi-Hats

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is samba groove that is broken up among the toms, bass drum, snare drum, and hi-hats. Starting with the basic samba foot ostinato, our bass drum is falling on every downbeat as well as the "a" of every beat while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the hi-hats next, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" with openings on all of the downbeats. Moving along to the toms, our floor tom is falling on "1e" followed by our high tom on the "a" of 1 and on 2. Last but not least, our snare (with dropped wires) has cross stick notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "e" of 4, as well as a single snare accent on the "&" of 3, As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1920 - Samba Groove With Hi-Hat Openings On The Downbeats

Notation link:

Today's wake 'n break is a super busy and heavily ghosted two bar backbeat made up of sixteenth note triplets (counting "1 trip let & trip let") broken up between the snare and hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "&" of 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1, the "&" of 3, and on the first "trip" of 4 in the second bar. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have notes falling on 1, the first "let" of 1, the "&" of 1, the first "let" of 2 and the "&" of 2, on 3, the first "let" of 3, the "&" of 3, and on the first "let" of 4 and the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4, with ghosted notes on the the first "trip" of 1, the second "trip" and "let" of 1, the first "trip" and "let" of 2 and the second "trip" and "let" of 2, the first "trip" and "let" of 3 and the second "trip" and "let" of 3, and finally on the the first "trip" and "let" and second "trip" and "let" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1921 - Busy And Heavily Ghosted Sixteenth Note Triplet Backbeat

Notation:

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove in 6/4 that has a double stroked tom lick in the second bar. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&" of 5 in the first bar and on 1 in the second bar. Looking at our snare drum next (with dropped wires), our first bar has an accented note on the "&" of 2 followed by notes on the "&" of 4 and on 5. In the second bar, we once again have an accented note on the "&" of 2 followed by notes on "4e" and "6e&". Moving along to the high tom, we have notes falling on the "&" of 5 in the first bar and on the "&a" of 4 and the "&a" of 5 in the second bar. Next, our floor tom has notes falling on 6 in the first bar and on "5e' in the second bar. Last but not least, our ride bell is falling on the "&" of 2 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1922 - Two Bar Tom Groove In 6/4 With A Double Stroke Lick

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar bell groove in 6/8 where we have a 3/2 clave being played over a tom and bass drum ostinato. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes on 2, 4, and 6 in both bars. Looking at bell next (in this case, a broken ogene), we have notes falling on 1, 3, and 5 in the first bar as well as notes on 2 and 4 in the second bar. Moving along to the snare (with dropped wires), we have notes falling on the 1 in each bar. Finally, we get to the toms, with our high tom on 3 in each bar and our floor tom on the 5 in each bar. It still sounds a little stiff because I just came up with it, but I definitely want to get it feeling right. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1923 - A 3/2 Clave Bell Pattern Over A Tom & Bass Drum Ostinato In 6/8

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a linear backbeat with a two handed hi-hat pattern. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1, two thirty second notes starting on the "&" of 1, and a note on the "a" of 1. We then have more notes on the "&a" of 2. The same hi-hat figure that we had on 1 on the 3 and then we have open notes on the "&a" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and 4 and last but not least, our ride bell is falling on the "e" of 2 and on the "e" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1924 - Linear Backbeat With Both Hands On The Hi-Hats

Today's wake 'n break is a somewhat slow groove with a quarter note pulse on the ride cymbal and a sixteenth note triplet lick (counting: "1 trip let & trip let") played between the ride, high tom, and snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", the second "let" of 3, and on 4 and the second "let" of 4. Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have a quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Moving along to the snare drum, have accented notes on 2 and the "a" of 2, as well as ghost notes on the first "trip" of 3 and the "& trip let" of 3, followed by more ghost notes on the first "trip" of 4 and on the "& trip let" of 4. Next, our high tom has notes falling on the first "let" of 3 and on the first "let" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1925 - Slow Groove With Soft Triplet Lick & A Quarter Note Pulse On The Ride Cymbal

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove in 6/8 that utilizes a nut shaker on the hi-hats and a tamborim machine that was made for me by Ron DeFrancesco (unforunately, it's out of frame) which is being played with my left hand. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 3 in the first bar. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have chicked notes on 2 and 4 in the first bar. Moving along to the tamborim machine, we have notes falling on 5 in the first bar and on 2, 4, and 6 in the second bar. Next, our snare drum (with dropped wires) has notes falling on 6 in the first bar and on 1 in the second bar. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on 3 and 5 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1926 - Two Bar Groove In 6/8 Utilizing A Tamborim Machine & Nut Shaker On The Hi-Hats

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar halftime backbeat that utilizes a nut shell shaker on the hi-hat rod. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on the "&" of 2 in the first bar. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes being chicked on all of the downbeats. Moving along to the shaker, I'm striking the bamboo handle on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, we have accented snare notes on the 3 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1927 - Two Bar Halftime Backbeat w/ Sparse Bass Drum & A Nut Shell Shaker On The Hi-Hat Rod

Notation link:

Today's wake 'n break is a 6/4 groove that utilizes a tiny glass mason jar with a few tacks in it to strike the toms and a nut shell shaker on my hi-hat rod. One interesting thing to note about this groove is that there are no notes falling on 1. Looking at the bass drum first, we simply have notes falling on "6e&". Taking the snare next (with dropped wires), we have notes falling on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4. Moving along to the toms, our high tom has notes falling on "3&4" while our floor tom has notes falling on "5e&". Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4 and splashed on 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1928 - 6/4 Groove Using Jar of Tacks To Strike The Toms

Notation link:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar double stroke based groove with a ghosted snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes on "1&", 2, 3, and on 4 in the first bar. In the second bar, we have a single bass drum note on the "&" of 1. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have open notes on "1&" and on 2, followed by notes on "3e" in the first bar, followed by notes on "1e", "2e", the "&a" of 3, and on the "&a" of 4 in the second bar. Last but not least, we come to our snare drum. In the first bar we have an accented note on 4 as well as ghost notes on the "&a" of 3 and on the "e&a" of 4, and then finally our second bar has an accented note on the "&" of 2 and ghost notes on the "&a" of 1, the "a" of 2, on "3e", and on "4e". As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation link will be added to youtube video description later tonight.

Wake n Break No. 1929 - Double Stroke Based Groove With Heavily Ghosted Snare Drum

Today's wake 'n break is a four bar groove in 6/8 that utilizes a foot-activated tamborica with four individual tamborims, but you can use substitute it with your hi-hat, a clave pedal, or even a bass drum. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of notes on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 throughout all four bars. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes on the 1 of each bar. Moving along to the snare, we have accented notes on the 4 in both the second and fourth bars. Last but not least, we come to the tamborica pattern. In the first bar, we have notes falling on 3, 5, and 6. In the second bar, we have notes falling on 2 and 6. In the third bar, we have notes on 3, 5, and 6 and finally, we have notes on 2, 4, and 6 in the fourth bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1930 - Four Bar Groove In 6/8 With Left Foot Pattern On A Tamborica

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar "boom chick" groove that utilizes a tiny bit of pressure to change the pitch of the snare head. Looking at the feet first, we have our "boom chick" ostinato with the bass drum on 1 and 3 while the hi-hats are falling on 2 and 4. Moving along to the snare (with dropped wires), the first bar has a flam accent with a cross stick lead on the "&" of 1, a note on the "e" of 2, another flam with cross stick lead on 3, a note on the "a" of 3, and a final flam accent with a cross stick lead on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, the second bar has a short buzz stroke on the "e" of 1 and on the "e" of 3, as well as notes on the "&a" of 1, "2e&a", the "&a" of 3, and on "4e&a". The short buzz strokes mark where the pitch shift beings. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1931 - Two Bar "Boom Chick" Groove With Pitch Shift On The Snare Drum

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a simple and sparse yet fat groove that has a triplet stagger on the bass drum and open hi-hat notes. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, as well as on "3 trip let" and on 4. Looking at the snare drum next, we have accented notes on 2 and 4. Last but not least, we have open hi-hat notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4.

Wake n Break No. 1932 - Simple And Sparse Backbeat With A Triplet Stagger On The Bass Drum

Notation:

Back