"Wake 'n Break" Series

It's Sunday Drumday! :) Today's wake 'n break is broken up among the bass drum, hi-hats, snare, and toms, and has what I often refer to as a "pulled" feel, meaning that it almost feels as if someone is pulling the rug out from underneath the groove. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at floor tom next, we have short thirty second notes immediately after the "a" of 1 and after the "e" of 3, as well as a note on the "a" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes falling on 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "e" of 4. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1813 - Snare & Tom Groove With A "Pulled" Feel

My apologies, but I didn't have time to notate this groove.

A new week is upon us once again. :) Today's wake 'n break is a triplet groove in 4/4 (although it can also be heard as two bars of 6/8) that utilizes the see saw technique to pull off a short and rapid flurry of notes between the snare drum (with dropped wires) and high tom. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "let" of 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "trip" and "let" of 1, the "trip" and "let" of 2, on 3 and the "trip" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4, with accented notes on the "trip" and "let" of 1, the "let" of 2, the "trip" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4. Next, our snare (with dropped wires) has an accented note on 2 and then a few ghosted notes in the flurry between the tom and snare. Last but not least, the high tom is beginning its flurry on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1814 -Triplet Groove With A Single Handed Flurry Between The Snare & Tom

My apologies, but notation links will be back tomorrow.

Today's wake 'n break is a sixteenth note backbeat with anticipated hi-hat barks (meaning that the hi-hats are opened at the same time that the bass drum is being played). Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" with openings on the "e" of each beat. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 2, on "3e" and the "a" of 3, and on the "e" and "a" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum is providing the backbeat with accented notes on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1815 - Sixteenth Note Backbeat With Anticipated Hi-Hat Barks

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a four bar waltz in 3/4. Taking the feet first, we have the traditional waltz ostinato with the bass drum falling on 1 and the hi-hats being chicked on 2 and 3. Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling on the "&" of 1, on 2, and "3&" in the first bar. In the second bar, the ride is falling on the "&" of 1, the "&" of 2, and the "&" of 3, with the "&" of 3 being crashed. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. In the first bar, we have ghost notes on the "&" of 1, on 2, and on "3&". In the second bar, we have ghost notes on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 2, with an accented note on the "&" of 3. Finally, the last two bars have crescendos starting on "2e&a" and ending with an accented note on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1816 - Four Bar Waltz Groove With A Snare Crescendo

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is fat two bar boom bap backbeat that utilizes a second set of hi-hats that are loosely closed, but you can use a stack or any other sound you would like. I changed up what I was doing with my main hats here and there, but I'm breaking the groove down the way the first four bars sound. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "a" of 2, on 3, and on the "a" of 4 while our main set of hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the loose hats next, we have notes falling on 2 and 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1 and 2 in the second bar. Next, our main hi-hats have notes falling on the "a" of 2 and on the "a" of 4 in the first bar. In the second bar, we have notes falling on the "a" of 2, on "3&" and an open note on the "a" of 3, another open note on the "e" of 4, and then a final closed note on the "a" of 4. Last but not least, the snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4 in both bars, as well as on the "&" of 4 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1817 - Fat Two Bar Boom Bap Backbeat With A Loose Set of Second Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is an uptempo drum 'n bass groove with both upbeat and anticipated accents on the snare drum. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "a" of 4. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on the "e" and "a" of 1, on "2&" and the "a" of 2, the "e" and "&" of 3, on "4e" and then a final open note on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes falling on the "&" of 1, the "e" of 2, and on 3 and the "a" of 3, with ghost notes dribbled in between. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1818 - Busy Drum 'N Bass Break With Both Upbeat & Anticipated Snare Accents

I'm not a 100% sure about the notation for this one, but I hope it's correct! lol

Saturday night is alright for fighting, it was even better for holding my parent's 50th anniversary, and of course, it's even better for drumming. :) Today's wake 'n break is a sixteenth note quasi-linear groove (meaning that there are very few points in the groove where more than one limb is playing at a time) broken up between the bass drum, hi-hats, and snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&". Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, on "3e", and then open note on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "&a" of 2 and on "4e", as well as ghost notes on the "e" of 1, on "2e", and on the "&a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1819 - Sixteenth Note Quasi Linear Groove With Ghosted Snare

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a laid back and shuffled backbeat with a broken swing feel. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", on 2, on the second "let" of 3 (when counting sixteenth note triplets: 1 trip let & trip let, etc.) and on the "a" of 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e&a", an open note on 2 and closed note on the "a" of 2, on "3&", and on "4e&a". We also have two chicked hi-hat notes on the "&" of 3 and on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has a sixteenth note crescendo on "1e&a", followed by accented notes on 2 and the "a" of 2, a ghosted note on the second "trip" of 3, and a final accented note on 4. There's a clam or two in this one but hey, I'm only human! As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1820 - A Shuffled Backbeat With A Broken Swing Feel

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is a funky groove built around the figure of two sixteenths and an eighth note being played on the ride bell. Taking the ride first, we have notes falling on "1e&", "2e&", "3e&", and on "4e&". Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on "1&", the "&" of 3, and on the "e" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and the "a" of 2, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are chicking a quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1821 - Funky Boom Bap Beat Built Around The Figure of Two Sixteenths & An Eighth Note On The Ride

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a funky two bar phrase that utilizes a set of caxixi to play sixteenths throughout the groove. Taking the caxixi first, we have notes falling on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" throughout both bars. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "&" of 3 in the first bar, and then on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 3 in the second bar. Moving along to our snare drum, the first bar has accented notes on 2 and on the "&" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, and the "a" of 4. In the second bar, our accents are on the "e" of 1, the "a" of 2, and on 4, with a buzzed stroke on 2 and ghost notes on the "e" of 3 and on the "a" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are falling on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1822 - Funky Two Bar Groove With Sixteenth Notes On Caxixi

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? I've been working on a lot of Nawlins inspired grooves at the moment because I have a few mardi gras gigs coming up. This one is a two bar Nawlins style groove utilizing a cheap old tambourine. Taking the tambourine pattern first, the first bar has notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 2, on "3&", and on "4e&a". The second bar pattern is the same except we are omitting a note on the "a" of 4. Looking at the feet next, we have our bass drum falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, and on 3 and the "a" of 3 in both bars. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, we have snare notes on the "a" of 2 in the first bar and then on the "a" of 2 and on 4 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1823 - Two Bar Nawlins Groove With A Mounted Tambourine

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is an eight bar waltz that has some cross rhythm action happening. The groove is broken up between the bass drum, snare, tambourine, hi-hats, and the ride, with the first four bars being voiced on the tambourine and snare, followed by four bars played on the tambourine and ride cymbal. Taking the feet first, we have the traditional waltz ostinato with the bass drum on 1 and the hi-hats on 2 and 3. Looking at the tambourine next, we have notes falling on 1, "2&", and on the "&" of 3 throughout all eight bars. Moving along to the snare (with dropped wires), we have notes falling on "1&", the "&" of 2, and on 3 in the first four bars. Last but not least, our ride cymbal is falling on "1&", the "&" of 2, and on 3 in the last four bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1824 - An Eight Bar Cross Rhythm Waltz

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is an odd time linear groove in 5/4 that is comprised of sixteenth notes being played across the kit. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", "3&", and on the "e" and "&" of 5. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e" and "a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, on the "e" and "a" of 3, on the "e&" of 4, and then a note on 5 and an open note on the "&" of 5. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2, 4 and the "a" of 4, with a ghost note on the "a" of 2. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1825 - A Funky Sixteenth Note Linear Groove In 5/4

Notation available at:

Saturday night's alright for fighting but better for drumming. :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove in 6/8 that almost feels like an inverted or backwards shuffle. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", the "&" of 2, on 3, on "4&", on the "&" of 5, and on 6. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are falling in unison with the bass drum in both bars, except 6 in the second bar has an open note. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. In the first bar, we have accented notes on 2 and 5, as well as ghost notes on the "&" of 3 and the "&" of 6. Finally, the notes are the same in the second bar except we are omitting the ghost note on the "&" of 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1826 - Two Bar Groove In 6/8 With An Inverted Shuffle Feel

Notation available at:

I can't even believe it, but today marks five years of wake 'n breaks and that's with zero days off. ? That doesn't even sound real to me. Thanks to everyone who continues to rock with me! Today, we have a dirty and funky sixteenth note groove with a couple of ghost notes and an anticipated accent on the snare drum. Starting with the hi-hats, we have a steady stream of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" with an open note on the "a" of 4. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the "a" of 3. Last but not least, our snare has accented notes on 2 and on the "e" of 4 with two ghost notes dribbled in. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Let's keep creating!

Wake n Break No. 1827 - Dirty And Funky Sixteenth Note Groove w/ An Anticipated Snare Accent

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! :) Years ago, I came up with a linear funk groove called the "Katz Pajamas" because it inspired by one of my old teachers and linear monster, Frank Katz. I've used the beginning of the phrase to come up with grooves in different feels and this time, I'm using it to start off this 3/2 son clave driven N'awlins groove. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on 4, with a ruff that starts on the snare and falls into the bass drum on the "&" of 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e" of 1, on 2 and the "a" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "&" of 4, with the "a" of 2 and the "&" of 4 played as open notes. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 4, with a lone ghost note on the "e" of 2. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1828 - Taking My "Katz Pajamas" Groove Down To New Orleans

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a sparse backbeat with an anticipated triplet cross rhythm happening on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have a single note on 1. Next, our hi-hats are falling on the "trip" of 1, the "let" of 3, and and short open note 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1829 - Sparse Backbeat With Anticipated Triplet Cross Rhythm On The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! My internet has been down for most of the day, but it's finally back. Today's wake 'n break is a two bar reggae groove with the bass drum placement of a one drop groove. This is not an actual one drop because we have more than one note being voiced in each bar. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady stream of eighth notes on "1&2&3&4&". Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes on 3 in each bar. Moving along to the snare drum (which has its wires dropped), we have an accented note on 1 in the first bar, followed by ghost notes on the "&" of 1 and on "2&". We also have a cross stick playing notes on 4 in the first bar, and on 1, the "&" of 2, and on 4 in the second bar. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1830 - Two Bar Reggae Groove With A One Drop Bass Drum Placement

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove with steady sixteenth notes being played with shakers (in this case, two caxixi with an ankle jingle held in between). Taking the shakers first, we have notes falling on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" throughout both bars. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1, "3&", and on 4 in the second bar. Moving along to the snare drum, in the first bar we have accented notes on the "a" of 1 and on 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e" and "a" of 2 and on the "a" of 4. Meanwhile, the second bar has a single accented note on the "a" of 1, followed by ghost notes on the "e" and "a" of 2, the "e" and "a" of 3, and on the "e" and "a" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1831 - Two Bar Sixteenth Note Shaker Groove With Ghosted Snare & Hi-Hats On Upbeats

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a backbeat that starts with a shuffled feel (sixteenth note triplets being counted "1 trip let & trip let"and utilizes hi-hat chicks and a tambourine. Starting with the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on the second "let" of 1. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1, the first "let" of 1, and on 2. We also have chicked hi-hat notes on the "&" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and 4, with ghost notes on the first and second "trip" of 1. Next, our ride bell is falling on 4 and last but not least, our tambourine is falling on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1832 - A Partly Shuffled Backbeat With Hi-Hat Chicks And A Tambourine

Notation available at:

Back