"Wake 'n Break" Series

I was continuing to play around with some conga santiaguera rhythms and came up with this groove based around single handed closed and open tones on the tom. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 3 while our hi-hats are flanged on 1 and 3 as well as chicked on 2 and 4. Looking at the cowbell next, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, on "3e" and the "a" of 3, and on the "e&" of 4. Last but not least, our tom has open tones on 1, the "a" of 2, on 3, and on the "a" of 4, and then closed tones on the "a" of 1 and on the "a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake 'N Break No. 1734 - Conga Santiaguera Inspired Groove With Single Handed Tom Muffles

Notation available at: https://imgur.com/i0urvTT

Followers of this series have probably recognized that I love to build things around the polyrhythm of three against four. Today, I decided to try and come up with something that was two against three against four (and will be counting in triplets). Taking the tamborica first, we have our left hand voicing the four with notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Next, our right hand is voicing the three with notes falling on 1, the "trip" of 2, and on the "let" of 3. Moving along to the bass drum, we are voicing the two with notes on 1 and 3 and then last but not least, our hi-hats are splashing a half note triplet on 1, the "trip" of 2, and on the "let" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1735 - Multi-Polyrhythmic Groove With Tamborica (Two Against Three Against Four)

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a funky sixteenth note groove with a few buzzed notes on the snare and anticipated bass drum notes. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" with an open note on the 1. Next, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "e" of 3, and on the "a" of 4. Last but not least, our snare has notes falling on "2e" and on the "e" of 4, with buzzed notes on the "a" of 2 and on the "&" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and that your weekend was a fun one!

Wake n Break No. 1736 - A Funky Sixteenth Note Groove w/ Buzz Strokes And Anticipated Bass Drum Notes

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is an interesting groove because the bass drum has a leading ruff on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on "3&". Next, our snare drum has notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, on 3 and the "&a" of 3, and on the "e&" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats have notes falling on the "e" of 1, on 2, the "e" of 3, and on 4, and then our ruff which fall into the bass drum on 1 and 3. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1737 - Snare Ostinato Groove With Hi-Hat Ruff Leads Into The Bass Drum

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a slow and soothing two bar groove that utilizes what I call "tom slides". What I'm doing is striking the head of the drum and then using the other stick to softly glide across the drum head to emulate a finger slide on a conga. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and on the "&" of 4 while our hi-hats are keeping a steady quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Looking at the tom next, we have our slide on 1. Moving along to the snare drum, we have notes falling on the "&" of 2 and on "4e" in the first bar, and then notes on the "&" of 2 and on 4 in the second bar. Next, the bell of the ride cymbal is falling on the "&" of 2 in both bars and last but not least, we have an open hi-hat note on the "&" of 3 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1738 - Slow And Soothing Two Bar Groove With Tom Slides

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday. ? I'm finally out of Facebook jail and allowed to post in groups! Today's wake 'n break is an odd time hand to hand groove in 5/4. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 2. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on "1&2&", on 3, on 4, and on "5&" with the "&" of 5 being an open note. Moving along to the snare drum, we have a single note falling on the "&" of 3 and last but not least, our stack is falling on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1739 - An Odd Time Hand To Hand Groove In 5/4

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a dirty sixteenth note groove with anticipated hi-hat barks. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" with openings on the "e" and "a" of 2 and on the "e" and "a" of 3. Next, our bass drum is falling on "1e", the "e" and "a" of 2, and on the "e" and "a" of 3. Last but not least, our snare has notes falling on "1e", followed by accented notes on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1740 - Sixteenth Note Groove With Anticipated Hi-Hat Barks

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a sixteenth note reggae groove comprised of doubles on the snare and toms. The bass drum also emulates the feel of a "one drop" groove but isn't an actual one drop. Starting with the hi-hats, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" with an open note on the "a" of 4. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 2 and 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have cross sticks falling on the "&a" of 1, the "&a" of 3, followed by two snare notes on the "&a" of 4. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on the "&a" of 2. As always, I hope you dig it and have great weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1741 - Sixteenth Note Reggae Groove With Doubles On The Drums & A One Drop Feel

Notation available at:

Why fight on Saturday night when you can drum? ? Today's wake 'n break is a dribbled snare groove with an emphasis on the 1 and then anticipated bass drum and hi-hat barks. Taking a look the feet first, our bass drum has notes falling on the "a" of 2 and on the "e" and "a" of 3. Looking at the snare drum next, we have a flam on 1 and an accent on 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e&a" of 1, on "2e&", and on the "e" and "a" of 3. Last but not least, our hi-hats have notes falling on the "&" of 1, on "2&", followed by open notes on the "a" of 2, the "e" and "a" of 3, and finally on the "e" and "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1742 - Dribbled Snare Groove With A Flam On One And Anticipated Hi-Hat Barks

Notation available at:

It's Sunday Drumday! :) Today's wake 'n break can be heard as a bar of 6/8 or as a bar of triplets in 4/4, but I'm leaning more towards the 4/4. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1 as well as on the "let" of 4. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on the "trip let" of 2, the "trip let" of 3, and on 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has a mini tambourine on it, with an accented note on 3 as well as ghost notes on the "trip" of "3 and on the "trip" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1743 - Linear Halftime Backbeat With An Ankle Jingle On The Snare

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is a dirty two bar sixteenth note backbeat utilizing two sets of hi-hats. Taking our main set of hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a", with open notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on the "&" of 2 in the first bar. Moving along to the snare drum, we have our backbeat on 2 and 4. Last but not least, the auxiliary hi-hats are being chicked on "3e&a" and on the "a" of 4 in the first bar, followed by notes on the "e" and "a" of 1 and on "3e&a" in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1744 - Dirty Two Bar Sixteenth Note Backbeat With Dual Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a slow, laid back, and minimalist groove in 6/4 that utilizes a set of caxixi shakers. Taking the shakers first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a 5e&a 6e&a". Looking at the feet next, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 4 while our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse on "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6". Moving along to the toms, our floor tom is falling on the "a" of 2 while our high tom is falling on 3. Next, our snare drum (with dropped wires) has a single note on 5 and last but not least, our ride cymbal has a single note falling on 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1745 - Extremely Laid Back And Minimalist 6/4 Tom Groove With Caxixi Shakers

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ?Today's wake 'n break is built around a snare drum ostinato (which is based off of the traditional baiao bass drum pattern) and utilizes what I refer to as the "see saw technique" to pull off a short thirty second note flurry on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e&" of 1, on "2e" and the "a" of 2, the "e&" of 3, and then on "4e&" with our thirty second note flurry starting on the "&" of 4. The "e" of 2 and the "e" of 4 are also played as open notes. Last but not least, the snare drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, on 3 and the "a" of 3, and finally on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1746 - Snare Ostinato Groove w/ Short Single Handed 32nd Note Flurries On The Hi-Hats

Note: Should have a much better camera angle starting tomorrow after picking up a new camera mount.

Today's wake 'n break has a bit of a drum 'n bass feel to it with a quick 32nd note flurry played between the hi-hats and snare drum to start the groove off. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the "e" of 4. Next, our hi-hats start on 1 and are a part of the beginning 32nd note flurry, followed by notes on the "a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, on "3e" and the "a" of 3, and on "4e&" with openings on the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum part starts off with the ghosted 32nd note flurry, followed by accented notes on 2 and the "a" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1747 - Drum 'N Bass Inspired Groove Starting w/ Short 32nd Note Flurry Between The Hats And Snare

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a slow and minimalist backbeat that utilizes what I refer to as "cymbal cupping" as well as a single handed snare flam played with two sticks in one hand. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 while our hi-hats are being splashed on 2 and 4. Looking at the snare drum next, we have notes falling on 2 and 4, with the 4 being played as a single handed flam with two sticks in one hand. Last but not least, we are striking the bell of the ride cymbal on 2 and then cupping the bell on "3 trip let" and "4 trip let". As always, I hope you dig it and have a great weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1748 - Sparse Cymbal Cupping Groove With A Single Handed Flam

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a composite triplet groove made up of two bars of 3/4 followed by a bar of 2/4. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1 in the first two bars, followed by notes on "1&" in the final bar. Looking at the snare drum next, we have notes falling on the "trip let" of 2 in the first two bars, followed by a note on 2 in the final bar. Last but not least, our hi-hats are falling on "3 trip let" in the first two bars and finally, we have a single open hi-hat note on the "&" of 2 in the last bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1749 - Composite Triplet Groove With Two Bars of 3/4 And One Bar of 2/4

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a relaxing groove that is almost a cross of an afro-cuban mambo, a Brazilian bossa nova, and a boogaloo groove. You can hear a few elements of each one. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "a" of 2, on 3, and on the "a" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Next, we have a steady slew of sixteenth note brush swipes on the head of the snare drum , falling on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a". Moving along to the cross stick, we have notes falling on the "&" of 1, the "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4 and last but not least, our tom is falling on the "e&" of 2. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1750 - Laid Back Cross Stick Groove With Sixteenth Note Brush Swipes On The Snare Drum

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is mainly built on double strokes and utilizes a cymbal stack, but you can use whatever sounds you would like. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on "1&" while our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have the bell of the ride falling on "1&", followed by the ride itself on "2e". Next, our stack has notes falling on "3e". Last but not least, our snare drum has ghost notes on the "&a" of 2, followed by accented notes on the "&" of 3 and on the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1751 - A Stack And Ride Groove Built Mainly Around Doubles

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a slinky ride groove broken up between the bass drum, ride cymbal, snare drum, and hi-hats. Looking at the feet first, our bass drum is falling on "1&2&" while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on "1&", "2&a", "3e&a", and on "4e&a". Last but not least, our snare drum has the beginning of a ruff which leads into the bass drum on 1, followed by anticipated accent notes on the "a" of 3 and on the "e" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1752 - Slinky Ride Groove With Snare Ruff Leading Into The Bass Drum

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove that is sort of a hybrid of a cha-cha and a mambo. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4 while our hi-hats are being flanged on 1 and 3. Looking at the ride bell pattern next, we have notes falling on 1, "2&", 3, and on "4&". Moving along to the cross stick, we have notes falling on 2 and 4 in the first bar and then on 4 in the second bar. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on the "&" of 2 and on 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on the "&" of 1, on 2, and on 3 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1753 - A Two Bar Cha-Cha And Mambo Hybrid

Notation available at:

Back