"Wake 'n Break" Series

Today's wake 'n break is a halftime backbeat with an additional accent on an upbeat. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&". Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, as well as open notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "a" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 3 and on the "&" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e" of 1 and on "2e". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1616 - Halftime Backbeat With An Additional Upbeat Snare Accent

Notation available at:

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday Drumday. Today's wake 'n break is an anticipated groove that is a super staggered and wonky backbeat where the 2 and 4 are falling behind the beat. Taking the bass drum first, we have anticipated notes falling on the "a" of 2 and on the "a" of 4. Next, our hi-hats are being chicked on the "e" of 1, on "2&", the "e" of 3, and on "4&", but are also being struck on 2 and 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes falling on the back end of 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1617 - Super Staggered & Behind The Beat Backbeat

A new week is upon us once again! Today's wake 'n break is an odd time groove in seven that starts with a short a short eighth note phrase broken up between the bass drum, hi-hats, and ride cymbal. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", 2, and on the "&" of 6. Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling on 1 and 2. Next, our hi-hats are falling on the "&" of 1, an open note on 4, and then another closed note on 6. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes falling on 3, "5&", and on 7. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1618 - 7/4 Groove With An Eighth Note Phrase Broken Up Between The Ride & Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a hand to hand triplet groove with anticipated accents on the snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes on 1 and the "let" of 1. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "let" of 2 and on the "let" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "trip" and "let" of 1, on the "trip" of 2, the "trip" and "let" of 3, and on the "trip" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1619 - Hand To Hand Triplet Groove With Anticipated Snare Accents

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a quasi-linear groove (there is one unison between the floor tom and bass drum) that has a strong 1. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1. Next, our floor tom (which is literally as loosely tuned as possible) is falling in unison with the bass drum on 1. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have note falling on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 2, with the "&" of 2 being an open note. Next, we come to the snare drum, where we have notes falling on 3 and on the "&a" of 4. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on "4e". As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1620 - Quasi-Linear Groove With A Heavy One

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a dirty shuffle with flanged hi-hat notes on 2 and 4. Taking the feet first, our bass drum has notes on each downbeat as well as on the "let" of each downbeat. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being flanged on 2 and 4, as well as chicked on the "let" of 2 and on the "let" of 4. Next, our ride cymbal is falling in unison with the bass drum. Last but not least, our snare drum has accents on 2 and the "let" of 2, and on 4 and the "let" of 4, while we have ghost notes falling on the "trip" of 1 and on the "trip" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1621 - Dirty Shuffle With Flanged Hi-Hats On Two And Four

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! Today's wake 'n break is a busy and uptempo two bar phrase broken up between the bass drum, hi-hats, and snare drum. Starting with the bass drum, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on 4 in the first bar. In the second bar, we simply omit the note on 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, on "3e", and then an open note on 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has a single accent on the "&" of 2, followed by ghost notes on the "e&" of 1, on "2e" and the "a", and then finally on the "&a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and have a great weekend! Also, I'm currently editing and posting this from my phone, so my apologies for not having the notation up right away.

Wake n Break No. 1622 - Busy And Uptempo Groove With Heavily Ghosted Snare

Today's wake 'n break is a dirty New Orleans funk groove inspired by the legendary Zigaboo Modeliste of The Meters. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, 2, and on the "a" of 3. Next, our hi-hats are falling on "1e&", "2e&a", on "3e" and the "a" of 3, and then an open note 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 1, 2, and 4, as well as ghost notes on the "a" of 1, the "a" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "a" of 4. I think that's all of the ghost notes but I can't hear them very well on my p9hone speaker. I hope you dig it and much love as always!

Wake n Break No. 1623 - Dirty New Orleans Funk Groove a la Zigaboo

I hope everyone enjoyed their Drumday afternoon. Today's wake 'n break is a fat backbeat with flanged hi-hat notes falling on upbeats as well as a unison between our ride bell and snare accents. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on "3&". Next, our hi-hats are being flanged on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 3, as well as chicked notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2, 4, and on the "&a" of 4, as well as a short flurry of ghosted 32nd notes beginning on the "&" of 2. Last but not least, our ride bell is falling on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1624 - Lumbering Backbeat With Flanged Hi-Hat Notes On Upbeats

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! Today's wake 'n break is a triplet ride groove with a half note triplet being voiced on the hi-hats. This groove can also be felt in six, but I'm breaking it down as a triplet groove in 4/4. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on "1 trip", 2, "3 trip", and on the "trip" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are playing a half note triplet with notes falling on 1, the "trip" of 2, and on the "let" of 3. Moving along to the hands, our ride bell has notes falling on "1 trip let", on "2 trip", "3 trip let", and on "4 trip". Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "trip" of 2 and on the "trip" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "let" of 2 and on the "let" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1625 - Triplet Ride Groove With A Half Note Triplet On The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a busy uptempo groove that has a short stutter of doubles on the bass drum. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&a" of 2, and on the "&" of 3. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4, with the chicks played slightly behind the beat. Next, our ride bell is falling on 1 and 3. Finally, our snare drum has a notes falling on 3, as well as notes on "4e&a". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1626 - Busy Uptempo Groove With A Short Bass Drum Stutter

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a busy groove built around a cymbal and snare ostinato that is being played with the hands. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "e&" of 2, on 3, and on the "&" of 4. Next, our ride bell is falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have open notes falling on the "e" of each beat. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on the "&a" of each beat. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1627 - Upbeat Accent Groove With A Cymbal And Snare Ostinato

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is an extremely sparse groove broken up among the bass drum, snare drum, ride bell, and hi-hats. Looking at our feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 4, while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Next, our ride bell is falling on 1, 2, 5 and the "a" of 5, and on the "&" of 6. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes falling on 2, the "e" of 5, and on 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1628 - Super Sparse Ride Groove In 6/4

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a backbeat that is built around double strokes on the hi-hats and snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on "4&". Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on the "&a" of each beat with an anticipated open note on the "a" of 1. Last but not least, our snare has accented notes on 2 and 4, as well as ghost notes on "1e", the "e" of 2, on "3e", and on the "e" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! This weekend is intense when it comes to long rides and gigs, so no notation for today or tomorrow.

Wake n Break No. 1629 - Backbeat Built Around Doubles Between The Snare & Hats

Today's wake 'n break is a pandeiro groove that I quickly came up with this morning before leaving for a crazy all day gig. I hope you dig it and I will start posting notations again tomorrow. NO DAYS OFF over here!

Wake n Break No. 1630 - Pandeiro Groove On The Go

Today's wake 'n break is a somewhat sparse two bar groove with an anticipated ride accent in the second bar. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1 in both bars. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, as well as open notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 3 in both bars. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 3 and on "4e&a" in the first bar, and then on 3 and 4 in the second bar. We also have ghost notes on the "e&" of 1 in both bars. Last but not least, we have a single anticipated ride bell accent on the "e" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1631 - Somewhat Sparse Two Bar Groove With A Single Anticipated Ride Accent

Notation available at:

I was out of the house for most of the day and came home to the internet being down due to a wicked storm, but today's wake 'n break is finally up. It's an anticipated tom groove that is built on top of a "boom chick" foot ostinato. Taking the feet first, we have our bass drum falling on 1 and 3 while our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes falling on the "a" of 1, the "e" of 2, the "a" of 3, and on 4. Next, our high tom is falling on the "a" of 2. Now moving on to the floor tom, we have notes on "3e" and then a flam on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our ride cymbal falling on the "a" of 1 and on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1632 - Anticipated Tom Groove Over Boom Chick Foot Ostinato

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar tom groove that has hi-hat chicks on the upbeats. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 3 while the hi-hats are chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s", and this remains constant throughout both bars. Next, our snare drum (with dropped wires) has a short thirty second note crescendo starting on the "&" of 1 and ending with accented sixteenth notes on "2e&", followed by another accented note on the "&" of 4, and this also remains constant throughout both bars. Moving along to the high tom, we have notes falling on the "a" of 2 and on 4 in both bars. Last but not least, our floor tom is falling on the "a" of 3 in the first bar and then on the "e" and "a" of 3 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1633 - Two Bar Tom Groove With Hi-Hat Chicks On The Upbeats

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a busy two bar groove with a lot of the action happening on the snare drum and ride cymbal. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, and on the "e" of 2 in both bars. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, the "e" of 2, and on 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1 and the "&a" of 1, and on the "e" of 2 in the second bar. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum, where we have accented notes falling on the "&" of 2 and on 4, with ghost notes on the "e" of 1, on 2 and the "a" of 2, on "3e&a", and on the "e&a" of 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1634 - Two Bar Ride Groove With A Busy Snare Drum

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is another pretty busy groove that is broken up between the bass drum, snare drum, floor tom, ride cymbal, and hi-hats. Starting with our feet, the bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1 while our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse on "1, 2, 3, 4". Looking at the ride bell next, we have notes falling in unison with the bass drum on 1 and the "a" of 1. Moving along to the snare drum, we have notes falling on the "e&a" of 2, on "3e", and on "4e&a". Last but not least, our floor tom has notes falling on the "&a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1635 - Busy Snare & Tom Groove With Quarter Note Pulse On The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Back