"Wake 'n Break" Series

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a linear groove where the first half of the first beat is left empty. In this video, I started with an anticipated pickup on the "e&a" of 4 but it's optional. Taking the hi-hats first, we have notes falling on the "&a" of 1, an open note on the "&" of 2, followed by notes the "e" and "a" of 3. Looking at the snare drum next, we have a single note on 2. Moving along to the high tom, we have a single note on the "e" of 4. Last but not least, we are striking the shell of the bass drum on the "&" of 4, followed by a bass drum hit on the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1953 - A Linear Groove With An Anticipated Pickup And An "Empty" One

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a boom bap beat that utilizes finger rolls as ruffs on the snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "a" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on "4&". Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, on "2e&a" with the "a" being an open note, followed by more notes on the "&" of 3 and on "4&". Moving along to the cross stick, we have notes falling on "2e" and last but not least, our finger rolls are acting as ruffs that lead into the bass drum hits. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1954 - Boom Bap Beat With Finger Roll Ruffs On The Snare Drum

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar shaker groove in 6/4 with a lot of anticipated ghost notes on the snare drum. I'm using a Brazilian caxixi for my shaker but you can use whatever kind of shaker or found sound that you would like. Starting with the caxixi, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes throughout both bars on "1e&a", "2e&a", "3e&a", "4e&a", "5e&a", and "6e&a". Taking the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, and on the "e" of 3 in both bars. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 4 in the first bar and on 4 and the "&" of 5 in the second bar. We also have a ton of ghost notes. Looking at the first bar, we have ghost notes on the "e" and "a" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, the "a" of 4, the "e" and "a" of 5, and on the "e" and "a" of 6. Meanwhile, our second bar has ghost notes on the "e" and "a" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, the "a" of 4, and on the "e" and "a" of 6. Last but not least, our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 throughout both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1955 - Two Bar Caxixi Groove In 6/4 With Heavily Ghosted Snare Drum

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two tone blossom bell groove. I apologize but I was super pressed for time today and didn't have a chance to break the groove down. I'll try my best to add the breakdown later tonight. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the groove!

Wake n Break No. 1956 - A Two Tone Blossom Bell Groove

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a lumbering two bar, sixteenth note triplet (counting "1 trip let & trip let") driven backbeat that has what I'm referring to as a "winding down" accelerando on a tamborim. When I say "winding down", imagine the sound a spinning coin makes as it gets closer and closer to stopping. Taking the foot ostinato first, our bass drum is falling on "1&" and "3&" while our hi-hats are being chicked on "2&" and "4&". Looking at the tamborim next, we have sixteenth note triplets on "2 trip let & trip let", "3 trip let & trip let", "4 trip let & trip let" in the first bar. In the second bar, we have notes falling on "1 trip let & trip let" and on "2 trip let", and then our accelerando starts on the "&" of 2 and ends on 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4 in both bars, as well as a little ruff that leads into the bass drum on 1. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1957 - A Two Bar Backbeat With A "Winding Down" Tamborim Accelerando

Last edited:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is built around our bass drum and right hand falling in unison and has an extremely trashy sound thanks to Hammerax Bash that I'm using. It also starts with a pickup on the "a" of 4. Starting with the bass drum and right hand, we have notes falling on the "e&" of 1, on "2e" and the "a" of 2, and on the "e" and "a" of 4. Taking the snare drum next, we have ghost notes on the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, an accented note on 3, ghost notes on the "e&" of 3, and then more accented notes on the "a" of 3 and 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are keeping an eighth note pulse on "1&2&3&4&" and have a single open note on the "e" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1958 - Bass Drum & Right Hand Unison With A Trashy Hammerax Bash

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar halftime backbeat with rapid fire sixteenth notes on the hi-hat thanks to the "see-saw" technique. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" throughout both bars with openings on the "&" of 2. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and 2 in both bars. Moving along to the snare drum, the first bar has anticipated ghost notes on the "e" and "a" of 1, the "e" of 2, the "a" of 3, and the "e" and "a" of 4, with an accented note on 3. In the second bar, everything is the same except we have additional accented notes on the "&" of 3 and on 4. Last but not least, our hi-hat is being "chicked" on 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1959 - Two Bar Halftime Backbeat With "See-Saw" Sixteenths On The Hi-Hats

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Since today is my 40th birthday, I woke up and didn't want to overthink things, so I just had fun and played this dirty funk groove with a "broken" swing on the hi-hats. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady stream of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" with open notes on the "e" of 2, the "e" of 4, and on the "a" of 4. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on the "a" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4, as well as ghost notes on the "&a" of 2, on "3e&", and on the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1960 - Dirty And Funky Sixteenth Note Groove With A Broken Swing Feel On The Hats

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a linear backbeat where I'm utilizing a tamborica with my left hand (sorry but it's too tall to fit in the shot). Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the "a" of 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e" and "a" of 1, the "e" of 2, an open note on the "&" of 2, followed by chicked notes on "3&", 4, and an open note on the "e" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and 4 and last but not least, the tamborica has notes falling on "3e&a" and on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1961 - Linear Backbeat With Left Hand Playing A Tamborica

kindbeats

Platinum Member
I've broken today's wake 'n break groove down as a two bar triplet groove in 4/4. Taking the foot ostinato first, our bass drum is falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4 while our hi-hats are being chicked on the "trip" of each downbeat. Now we come to the snare. In the first bar, we have accented notes on the "let" of 3 and on "4 trip". Meanwhile, the second bar has a ghost note on "let" of 3 and an accented note on the "let" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1962 - Pretty Simple Triplet Groove With Bass/Hi-Hat Ostinato

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a simple backbeat that has sixteenth note triplets (counting "1 trip let & trip let") on the hi-hats as well as a single hi-hat foot chick. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on "3&". Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the first "trip" and "let" of 1 as well as on "& trip let" of 1, on the first "trip" and "let" and "& trip let" of 2, the first "trip" and "let" and "& trip let" of 3, and on the first "trip" and "let" and "& trip let" of 4, with open notes on the second "let" of 1 and the second "let" of 3. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes falling on 2 and 4 and last but not least, our hi-hats are being "chicked" on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1963 - Straight Forward Sixteenth Note Triplet Backbeat w/ Hi-Hat Chicks

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar linear groove in 6/8 that utilizes metallic plates on top of the toms (I'm using plates from the original Hammerax "Crash Course" design). In this groove, the rhythm remains exactly the same, with the only difference being how the snare is played in each measure. Looking at the bass drum first, we have a note on 1. Next, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2. Moving along to the floor tom, we are striking our plate on 3. Next, we are dropping a plate onto our snare on 1 in the first bar and allowing it to vibrate, then striking the plate on 4 in the first bar and then removing the plate to strike the drum itself in the second bar on 4. Last but not least, we have our high tom plate falling on 5. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1964 - Two Bar Linear Groove In 6/8 With Metallic Plates On The Drums

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove with a sixteenth note triplet pick up (counting sixteenth note triplets as "1 trip let & trip let"). Starting with the pickup, we have hi-hats falling on the "& trip" of 4 and a snare on the second "let" of 4. Looking at our bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and 2 in both bars. Taking the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "& trip", the "& trip" of 2, and an open note on the "&" of 2 in both bars. Moving along to the snare drum, we have ghost notes falling on the second "let" of 1, the second "let" of 2, followed by accented notes on the "&" of 3 and on 4 in the first bar. The second bar is the same except we are omitting the snare accent on 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on the "&" of 3 and on 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1965 - Two Bar Groove With A Short Sixteenth Note Triplet Pickup

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a four bar groove in 6/4 that is built around a polyrhythmic ostinato of three against four, with the three being voiced on the hi-hats and the four being voiced on the bass drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "&" of 2, and on 4 in the first two bars. In the last two bars, our bass drum is falling in the same places with an additional note on the "&" of 5. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1, 3 and 5 in all four bars. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on 1, 3, and 5 in the first two bars, followed by notes on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in the last two bars. Last but not least, we come to our snare drum. In the first two bars, we have a single accented note on 5 but in the last two bars, we have the accent on 5 as well as ghost notes on the "&" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "&" of 3, the "&" of 4, and on the "&" of 6. We also have snare ruff that leads into the bass drum on 1 in the first three bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1966 - Four Bar Polyrhythmic Groove In 6/4

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Happy Fathers Day! :) Today's wake 'n break is a funky snare break with some chicked hi-hat action. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&". Next, our hi-hats are keeping a steady eighth note pulse on "1&2&3&4&". Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and on the "e&" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e&" of 2, on "3e&a", and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Last but not least, we have an open hi-hat note on the "a" of 2 as well as another struck note on the "&" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1967 - Funky Snare Break With Chicked Hi-Hat Notes

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a bit of an uptempo swing groove in 6/8. Interesting side note, while slowing the video down to help notate the groove, I found that actually prefer this as a meditative groove played at half the tempo. Try it both ways! Looking at the hi-hats first, we have chicked notes on 2, 4, and 6. Next, our high tom is falling on 1. Moving along to the snare next, we have a ghost note on 2 and a buzzed note on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our ride cymbal is falling in unison with the buzzed snare note. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1968 - Uptempo Swing Groove In 6/8 w/ Buzzed Snare Note

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a triplet groove in 3/4 where we are riding the snare drum and our hi-hats are being both chicked and hit. Taking the snare drum first, we have a steady stream of eighth note triplets falling on "1 trip let", "2 trip let", and on "3 trip let". Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, the "let" of 1, and on the "trip" of 2. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on the "trip" of 1, on 2, and on the "let" of 2, followed by a buzz stroke on 3 and a final note on the "let" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1969 - A 3/4 Triplet Groove With Both Chicked And Buzzed Hi-Hat Notes

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a waltz inspired groove with a choppy little stagger/lilt to it thanks to a hi-hat note that falls inbetween the cracks. Taking the ride cymbal first, we have a quarter note pulse falling on 1, 2, and 3. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "trip" of 2. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have chicked notes falling on the "let" of 1, in the crack between the "trip" and "let" of 2, and on the "let" of 3. Last but not least, our snare has a single note falling on the "a" of 2. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1970 - A Waltz Inspired Groove With A Slight Stagger/Lilt To It

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a raw sixteenth note groove with a short sixteenth note triplet (counted as "1 trip let & trip let") thrown in on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1e&a" and on the "&" of 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e&a", "2e&a", our sixteenth note triplet on "3 trip let", followed by notes on the "&a" of 3 and on "4e&", with an open note on "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has an anticipated accent on the "e" of 2 and another accent on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1971 - A Raw Sixteenth Note Groove With A Short Sixteenth Note Triplet On The Hats

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a bit of a "swunk" groove (a term that was used by the late great Kim Plainfield), which is basically a hybrid of swing and funk. This groove is also played open handed. Starting with the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on "4&". Looking at the snare drum next, we have notes falling on "1e", 3e", and on "4&". Moving along to the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "&a" of 1, the "&a" of 2, the "a" of 3, and on the "e" and "a" of 4, with openings on the "a" of 1, the "a" of 2, and on the "a" of 3. Next, our tom is falling on "2e". Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on the "&" of 1, on "2&", and on "3&". As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Sorry for the lack of notation but I ran out of manuscript paper. I'll be adding notations again in a day or two.

Wake n Break No. 1972 - An Open Handed Groove With A Bit of A "Swunk" Feel

Last edited: