Waiting For The Mail

Wopsey

Alright, well this is the first time I've purchased things online. The first is a Cymbal Set off eBay, I'm definitely looking forward to the new cymbals, seeing as I currently have pretty much nothing (hell I'm using a Solar Hi Hat Bottom as a Ride) and will be getting those shortly after Christmas.

But the other, the other is an 8" Tom in my exact Finish. I had been looking for about 6 or 7 months trying to find an 8" Tom for my kit (it's fusion sizes and I really always liked the sound of the smaller toms better) to no avail. I checked the original makers website (Sonor) and they stopped making them years ago.

Anyway, one day at work I got bored and looked through about 15 pages of Google Searchs for 'Sonor Force 2001 Tom'. Sure enough I came across a craigslist ad selling my identical drum set. After a bit of reading, I found out his kit also had an 8" tom (but wasn't set up in the picture). I looked in the back and sure enough in the far corner on the ground was an 8" Force tom that was identical to my drum kit.

I e-mailed him and asked him if he'd be willing to sell it separately. I waited for a few days and I didn't get a response. Figured he had sold the kit (the ad was a month old) and it was no longer available.

I woke up about a week later and got a response saying that it was indeed an 8" tom and he would sell it separately for $40. I responded, gave him my address and offered him $100 to ship it to me (I'm in Canada, he's in the states) and he accepted. Put money on my paypal account, sent it over, he shipped it this week.

Have been pretty much non-stop refreshing the tracking for my Tom, and it WAS supposed to be delivered today. Then I refreshed about an hour ago, and it said:

Rescheduled Delivery Date:12/20/2010

Was all excited to get it today and now I'm all disappointed I have to wait until Monday :(

Anyone else get impatient having to wait for their drums/cymbals to come in?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Exactly. You see the UPS guy every day at 5 PM in the neighborhood, until the day you expect something and you pull in the drive after work and see the tag on the front door. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

razorx

Platinum Member
I'm not a fan of ups. Once I purchased a second bass drum off of Ebay. I was inside doing something and I heard a loud thud on my porch. To get up to my porch you have to walk up 8 steps. The ups guy just stood on the sidewalk and threw the box on the porch. He's so lucky nothing broke and that I didn't see him do it because I would have had his job.

braincramp

Gold Member
Yeah, I been there..probably weather related delay it happens... coolest thing is every drum thing ordered when it does get delivered is like opening a Christmas present when I was a kid..the uncoolest thing is explaining yet another snare/cymbal..ect to my wife.....usually wait til she's in real good mood the day before arrival and then drop a hint like "darn that CHEAP cymbal I ordered weeks ago still hasn't got here" then of course the new 20" reflector Paiste signature crash shows up on the porch the next day...

Fuo

Platinum Member
Yea my worst delivery experience was last year with my first kit. I saw the UPS est. delivery date on the web site, and took that day off work. Sat around all day waiting, then at around 2pm I see the UPS truck pull up in front of my house, sit there for 30-45 seconds, then just drive away.

I don't want to take anymore time off work, so I go in the next day hoping they'll just leave it on porch, nope... "we'll try again tomorrow"

Take off the next day and finally it gets successfully delivered.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm not a fan of ups. Once I purchased a second bass drum off of Ebay. I was inside doing something and I heard a loud thud on my porch. To get up to my porch you have to walk up 8 steps. The ups guy just stood on the sidewalk and threw the box on the porch. He's so lucky nothing broke and that I didn't see him do it because I would have had his job.
It varies from driver-to-driver. Some of them are great and treat stuff w/ care and some are total d-bags who go out of their way to wreck your package. Of course, your package encounters many hands in the chain of progress to your door.

The current UPS guy on our route has a terrible attitude problem. I had some drums arrive the other day while I was home for lunch, so I watched him from the door. He couldn't fit the 24" bass drum box through his door, so he stood back and KICKED it through, completely thrashing the box. I ran out there and politely offered to help, which just pissed him off...probably because he realized I caught him abusing my property. Thankfully, nothing was damaged.

I much prefer FedEx. They're always on time (for me), drivers are polite and professional, and the boxes arrive w/o looking like they were carried through Afghanistan on their way to my house.

Rick H.

Yeah, its this stupid business day thing that messes with the tracking,i remember just recently when i was waiting for a new snare i had ordered off ebayto come, it was scheduled for a Friday, so all day Friday i waitedand nothing came and the delivery date was for that Friday and it said it was on time and everything. That's when i started to get a bit skeptical, but sure enough on Monday it arrived and i was happy as could be.

Just remember the longer you wait the better it will seem when it finally does arrive.

Wopsey

Haha great news!

I had gone to bed expecting nothing to come, but sure enough around 12pm I heard a knock on my door. Thought it was my buddy getting off from work coming over to sesh, but nope, was the UPS guy!

He was pretty nice, I didn't realize that if you buy something from the US you have to pay extra taxes, I didn't have any cash on me so he waited 5 minutes while I ran and took some money out from the bank.

And yes, absolutely like opening a present on Christmas! My goodness, I've never been so excited about something lol. Don't think my neighbors/the business under me were too pleased. I always try to wait until night (after about 6 or 7) to play so I don't disturb them. Couldn't NOT play with the new tom though, so for an hour I'm pretty sure they were upset with UPS haha.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
He was pretty nice, I didn't realize that if you buy something from the US you have to pay extra taxes, I didn't have any cash on me so he waited 5 minutes while I ran and took some money out from the bank.
Uhh dude...you don't.................

zambizzi

Platinum Member
You sure? Because the receipt I got was pretty damn legit. Unfortunately thanks to HST us Canadians get taxed twice for everything :(
Gotcha - had no idea you were a Canadian. I thought maybe this driver talked you out of a few bucks. ;)