"Wailin" aka the guy with an ego the size of his cymbals.

The boy has talent, too. Not a huge talent like the usual DW idols, but he's a pretty good drummer/singer.

From the Free Dictionary:

tal·ent (tlnt)
n.
1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment. See Synonyms at ability.

a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.
b. A person or group of people having such ability

talent [ˈtælənt]
n
1. innate ability, aptitude, or faculty, esp when unspecified; above average ability
2. a person or persons possessing such ability

We'll have to agree to disagree over the terminology, Pol. In fact, I'm sure there could be a great debate over the term "pretty good", too.

:)

OK Polly I too am with you and BO, however this guy cannot sing!

I'm with Bo - I love the guy! A world without kooky people is a very dull world IMO

The boy has talent, too. Not a huge talent like the usual DW idols, but he's a pretty good drummer/singer.

As always happens on the forums - there y'all go again - gettin' all college-literate analytical.

It doesn't matter if the guy can play or sing well, the fact is, he's doing something. He's garnering attention like we all would love to have and do. Only this guy really believes it because he's actually spending money to do it. He's not waiting for someone to magically find him - he's producing these videos and getting it out there. Some of our Drummerworld Professionals are decidedly not commenting on him (yet) - I think they know better.

Robert Fripp said it himself - you have to go to the work. No one is going to come looking for you. Wailin' Smash can at least say he's looking for it. He's probably not sitting around talking trash about any one of us. Who's got time for that when there's a career to keep up?

As always happens on the forums - there y'all go again - gettin' all college-literate analytical.

I resent that....."college-literate analytical" I just ain't. I added to the thread by countering Pol's use of the word talent with a dictionary definition (hardly academic, is it?). I don't see much in relation to Wailin' according to that definition. I'm having a joke at something I consider joke worthy. We've spoken numerous times mate, you're a good guy with a good sense of humour......I refuse to believe that you can't see the funny side of this.

So there is to be no silliness on DW, right? Christ, how many double pedal threads do you want to answer before you need a little comic relief?

It doesn't matter if the guy can play or sing well, the fact is, he's doing something.

That he is.....providing me with such "entertainment" that I just pissed my pants.

He's garnering attention like we all would love to have and do. Only this guy really believes it because he's actually spending money to do it. He's not waiting for someone to magically find him - he's producing these videos and getting it out there.

I beg to differ mate. If you're "garnering for attention" then that's your cross to carry. personally, I'd rather remain obscure than be known as an internet joke.....but that's just me.

What can I say? Market yourself as a clown and I'll laugh at your antics. Hence this thread.

Some of our Drummerworld Professionals are decidedly not commenting on him (yet) - I think they know better.

Well, I think it's because they're having too hard a time wiping the tears from their eyes to post.

But as I stated I was joining in on the collective fun. I actually don't "think" too long or hard about Wailin' Smash and why the pros may or may not comment, at all.

Robert Fripp said it himself - you have to go to the work. No one is going to come looking for you.

Wise words.....although funnily enough, I never went looking for Wailin' Smash either....yet here he is, in all of his idiotic glory and now I'm told we can't even have a giggle......come on Bo.

He's probably not sitting around talking trash about any one of us. Who's got time for that when there's a career to keep up?

"trash talk"???..........surely you jest?.......oh, the anger and agression presented in these posts.....it's a friggen' sin I tell you. Lighten up man. You want trash talk....have a scour through the Your Playing threads and check some of the responses newbies have to cop when their 3 week old abilities get canned.....or Hannah Ford's unfortunate attempt of a thread......or anything on Travis Barker or J Jordison etc etc. This just doesn't compare.

I'm not quite sure what prompted the reaction here mate but if pulling the piss truely offends you, then I resign myself back to pedals and head selection and what/where/who is "the best" for extreme metal.

Last edited:
He might be a bit old to Rock n Roll, but perhaps too young to dye?

LOL
The old Rocker wore his hair too long,
wore his trouser cuffs too tight.
Unfashionable to the end --- drank his ale too light.

Interesting performance though.

Who's got time for that when there's a career to keep up?

Although it doesn't appear he has a career (not that I can talk about that), his videos are an attempt to get someone to hire him for, well, something.

As noted in the previous thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=683848

He's having fun, so more power to him in that respect. But as an attempt to market himself as a drummer for touring bands, it's wayyyy short.

He says his philosophy revolves around showman ship, yet, there is no real showmanship in any of his videos, other than the set itself. I'd just think if you're going to a large and interesting set up, do something interesting with it, and not just play like you would any regular kit.

As I said last time: The guy clearly went through a lot of trouble to set up the back drop, run the mics, the board, etc, to get this video shoot. Why didn't he take the next step and get a real guitarist and bass player, at least on tape, to play along too? That could make all the difference in the world.

WTF. Is this for real!?

Everage timing, but boring and straightforward grooves. Poor drumming skills. His singing is terrible, as is his hairstyle. His kit setup is a awkwardly over-the-top, which is why you just can't take him serious. And of course an EGO that surpasses the size of his drumkit, and certainly surpasses his actual skills.

He takes himself and his drumming way too seriously, which makes his videos sort of laughable. The guy is showing off chops and musicality he actually doesn't have. He certainly seems to enjoy drumming, so kudo's to him for that. Just too bad he takes himself too serious.

BUT... The guy enjoys what he's doing and he has the guts to put it on Youtube. And I enjoy watching him, but I'm not sure that's for the right reasons..

Some drummers on Youtube are mind blowing. Some are also sort of mind boggling, but for the wrong reasons..

Wow, if you guys think Wailin's singing is bad, I hope you never hear me sing! Damn hard to sing and drum too. He'd do fine if he was singing backups on the pub circuit.

And I found his videos heaps of fun - the man's a crack up, a gloriously irrelevant relic from the 70s. To paraphrase Jimmy Page - the 90s and 00s didn't happen, did it?" :)

... and I LOVE the look on his face when he climbs the cymbal tree - LOL

DrumEatDrum said:
his videos are an attempt to get someone to hire him for, well, something.

Yeah, I wondered about that. I couldn't see Robin Trower calling him, "Man, I dug your rendition of Day of the Eagle. I've sacked my drummer to fit you in - come on down for a jam, dude".

Hard to imagine the right band for him. I hear that Spinal Tap tends to go through drummers ... DESCRAPRE called it.

Thaard said:
It's a slightly scary old'ish man with a wall of cymbals, snare lower than his shoes, has the voice of a dying blues-guitarist and enough reverb to make the 80's jealous.

Thaard, I was remiss not mentioning this brilliant description in your OP - still laughing :)

Last edited:
I emailed this to my buddy and haven't heard back from him yet: he's probably pissed off at me now!

You know, hat's off to Wailin' for laying it all out there, but I gotta say that that is some really brutal stuff there. I was alternately trying to slash my wrists in an effort to make the pain go away (both the visual and aural), but was unsuccessful due to uncontrolled laughing fits...

I'd love to see Jonathan Moffet, Sonny Emory, and Seven Antonopoulos have a run on that drum set up. Now that would be a visual experience!

Back