"Wailin" aka the guy with an ego the size of his cymbals.

Thaard

Platinum Member
I was lurking around youtube as usual, when I found this gem.
It's a slightly scary old'ish man with a wall of cymbals, snare lower than his shoes, has the voice of a dying blues-guitarist and enough reverb to make the 80's jealous. I'll let you judge.

Links:
WAILIN #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoZUzMJ7DY&feature=related

WAILIN #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NZHURuf2_4&feature=related

WAILIN #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZiuJBfcU8&feature=related

WAILIN #4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gui7CNdbo3g&feature=related

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Somebody hipped me to him a few months ago. I loved it!

If you want to get academic about it, there's nothing that says 'rock n roll' more than just doing what you do and putting it out for the world to see. Balls is all I got to say. I wish I were so brave.

Perhaps everyone should do what he does. It'd be therapeutic! And it would definitely separate the punters from the mere commentators, eh?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
And as he says, He's all about showmanship, so his kit and his playing are down on the list of priorities.

Thaard

Platinum Member
Somebody hipped me to him a few months ago. I loved it!

If you want to get academic about it, there's nothing that says 'rock n roll' more than just doing what you do and putting it out for the world to see. Balls is all I got to say. I wish I were so brave.

Perhaps everyone should do what he does. It'd be therapeutic! And it would definitely separate the punters from the mere commentators, eh?
Balls or not. Those tight pants and neck-jewelry scare me.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Yeah, whether the world wants it or not. "Balls" is one word....I can think of a few other descriptive terms too. :)

Perhaps everyone should do what he does.
God spare me.....the very thought has me reaching for the bottle, Bo.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Thank you!! This is the dude I was looking for help finding a week or so ago!
...so you could bring him his medication?

Quite unique, and if the other recent YouTube sensation is any measure, soon to be all over this forum and then all over everywhere.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Quite unique, and if the other recent YouTube sensation is any measure, soon to be all over this forum and then all over everywhere.
I see one fundamental difference between the two guys you just mentioned Al......unfortunately, it doesn't look good for Wailin'.

I'm far from a religious man, but the thought of Wailin' going viral is enough to have me on my knees deep in prayer. :)

Thaard

Platinum Member
Now I know how Lars Ulrich got the St. Anger snare-sound from too. Seems like reverb and having the snare tilted downward is the key.

D

DSCRAPRE

His "philosophy" is scary and his playing sounds like mine. Ugh.

Although the tree of cymbals is something I find intriguing.

Kenny Allyn

His "philosophy" is scary and his playing sounds like mine. Ugh.
Yeah but he likes "snappy duds" ... is that a new kids candy, laundry soap or something?

I saw the YouTubes months ago ... but with Halloween right around the corner it's a good time to re-visit them.

Masheanhed

He has to set his set up this way, otherwise the toms and cymbals would hide him and we would be deprived of his"wailin'ness".

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Someone made a thread about him a few months back.

The lame thing is, you see the set up, the pictures, and think, OK, this guy is going to at least do some cool visual tricks with all those cymbals (ala Jonathan Moffet), and instead, he just.....well......yeah.......

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I just don't understand...

My toms are that low too. D:

I didn't watch the videos, but I have to say, if his playing was any good on that set-up, that'd be an interesting watch.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I'm with Bo - I love the guy! A world without kooky people is a very dull world IMO

The boy has talent, too. Not a huge talent like the usual DW idols, but he's a pretty good drummer/singer.

RogerLudwig

Older men who wear their hair long and then dye it make me uncomfortable. I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just sayin'...