Vocalizers

SparkRocks

Hi guys, I'm in a gigging band that have been around for about 5 years now and even thou we do pretty good overall, we realize that our "Back Vocals" are weak. The question is... Do you guys think a "vocalizer" could help us with the harmonies? Any opinions or suggestions on it? Thanks.

Entirely depends on how you use it. I used a model of one a couple of years ago for sound effects and it worked great for that - it was rather fiddly to programme however. I suggest that if you buy one, then you need to use it as a creative tool rather than necessarily as a replacement for poor backing vocals. They are tricky to use and you have to be on the ball as to key changes and the like. They don't award much flexibility and they need rather complicated programming before it will work properly but are potentially very powerful.

Incidentally, it was the Helicon that I also used.

They can be a good tool- never used it live- but they are used widely in recording studios- I would imagine you would have to practice like wild to get the detail right in the set up and as rightly said for the key changes........someone has to be on the ball at all times on the night...I kinda hope you can chain the effects and keys together for a live situation-look into that!

Back