Vistalite concert tom set - a good deal?

Lee-Bro

The ad mentions badges but I couldn't see a single badge in the photos -even though the photos aren't great, I didn't see anything that resembled a badge where I'd expect to see them.

I'm highly skeptical by nature and the statement, "THIS SET HAS THE OPEN BOTTOMS FOR A DEEPER SOUND AND LOUDER VOLUME THIS IS EXTREMELY RARE" is a red flag for me. This is not how I would expect someone who has owned a concert tom kit for 46 years to describe it.

My instinct is that this is a clone kit w/ Ludwig hardware. Only an in-person inspection could tell you one way or another.

Mustion

The ad mentions badges but I couldn't see a single badge in the photos -even though the photos aren't great, I didn't see anything that resembled a badge where I'd expect to see them.
Good point. That stood out to me too. I'm no expert but I would expect to at least see a badge on the kick, right between the tom mount and the reso hoop. This same kit is also listed on ebay where one can zoom in on the pics better, and I see no badges at all. It does look like the "extra holes" are for the original tone controls. Even so, I'm inclined to think it's legit, but I just don't get it; why mention badges but not show a single one?

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I agree, not sure that they are really Ludwigs, just a ludwig tom mount. Though none of the drums have any badges either.

Hard to tell, the pictures are bad.... one is blurry and the other even has a finger over the lens and they didn't retake it.

Mustion

I'm a bit skeptical on the "counterfeit" angle; why would anybody go through the trouble?

It's just so strange how both listings are very adamant about the drums having badges... then not following through at all in the photos! How odd.

Pity, even though I don't need another kit, a set of Vistas in these sizes with concert toms is right up my alley.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
This is not how I would expect someone who has owned a concert tom kit for 46 years to describe it.

This is exactly what I would expect from someone who has owned a concert tom kit for 46 years.
"You wanna come on over today and try it out. Try it out."
His photo skills lead me to believe he's the same fella who sold beeter that "Yamaha snare stand".

IBitePrettyHard

This is not how I would expect someone who has owned a concert tom kit for 46 years to describe it.
Nah, like ineedaclutch said, I think that's EXACTLY what a 46-year owner (that has a dungeon in his basement) would sound like.

However, the lack of badges are a red flag and need more investigation. Try matching it up with the Ludwig catalog from that year.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I bet his badges say Remo or Evans.

If that set has lived in that basement for any period of time, it should be nasty as hell. Even in the picture the floor looks wet. And you know there isn't any moisture barrier on what looks to be a 100+ year old foundation. Damp, dank, musty, great environment for things prone to pitting and rust. Personally, I would stear clear of this.

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
Not a super deal there. A couple red flags. Those pictures are horrible but from what I can see there's missing badges the seller claims are there, missing mufflers. Maybe he put them back on there, I dunno. It's a legit Ludwig, you can see the seams. Also .... "THIS IS THE RAREST OF DRUM SETS.... IT IS THE ONE MOST SOUGHT OUT"

No it isn't.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Clear and blue Vistalite kits are the two most common, so he's clearly wrong about this kit being "rare". I don't see any badges either. Not a great deal, or a good deal. It is what it is.​

Mustion

Thanks all.
I'd love to procure a concert tom clear vista set in these sizes, but not for $700+ even without all the red flags. I see vistas all the time and while a setup like this with concert rack and floor toms actually is somewhat rare, I know that CTs are considered gauche and a hard sell to most buyers so I find the price already a bit high. Advertising it in an unfinished basement just screams rust and water damage especially with no photos to refute that, so yeah... I will pass....

Mustion

Here's a multi-item listing by the same seller, including the same kit at a different price and claiming a different year of manufacture (??)

There are more photos of items than there are items listed which makes identifying things fun. For instance, I wonder if the "top brand" four piece set for $100 corresponds to the First Act "kit" or the stock photo of an acrylic Pearl kit?

Oh, Craigslist.

trickg

Silver Member
Is it just me, or does it look like one of the toms has Slingerland style lugs? It's hard to tell because the photos are pretty awful.

Mustion

Is it just me, or does it look like one of the toms has Slingerland style lugs? It's hard to tell because the photos are pretty awful.
Not just you, someone else pointed that out and upon closer inspection I agree that the 13" does have different lugs.
Hard to tell but the rack tom mounts look non-Ludwig as well.

mesazoo

I bet his badges say Remo or Evans.

If that set has lived in that basement for any period of time, it should be nasty as hell. Even in the picture the floor looks wet. And you know there isn't any moisture barrier on what looks to be a 100+ year old foundation. Damp, dank, musty, great environment for things prone to pitting and rust. Personally, I would stear clear of this.
Looks like carpet on the floor in one shot.

trickg

Silver Member
Not just you, someone else pointed that out and upon closer inspection I agree that the 13" does have different lugs.
Hard to tell but the rack tom mounts look non-Ludwig as well.
Given that there is much there that is likely non-original, I guess it would depend on what you wanted out of it. I like restoring things, but the only way I'd take that on as a restoration project would be if they were either blue or amber, and I wouldn't want them as concert toms - I'd want standard toms with bottom heads.