Visited an interesting cymbal shop tonight....

MaryO

Platinum Member
I live in Cincinnati and work in Covington, Kentucky. Every day on my way to and from work I pass a little shoppe called The Cymbal Shop in Covington (a very small and unassuming little town). Looking through the window in the front door all you see are brass cymbals covering the walls but I had never gone in. Tonight, we were heading to a Christmas party next door and decided to check it out.

It's a little bitty shop about the size of a nice walk-in closet, maybe 10x12. Every wall was completely covered with layers of cymbals; Sabians, Zildjians, Paiste, Istanbul and even a whole section of his own brand that he designed and had made. Hats, crashes, and rides...it was like a drummer's paradise. And he encouraged trying them out and finding the sounds you like.

The owner is foreign and his english is good but broken...I didn't have a chance to ask him where he was from but he sounded Turkish or something similar. It really was almost a surreal place. I will definitely be going back when I'm ready for new cymbals.

I love finding these little gems.

harryconway

Platinum Member
We need to embrace shops like this. Introduce the shop owner to Drummerworld, and our forum. I happen to play Istanbul Memhet ... I'd gladly make my next purchase from this guy. The big box stores, they have no soul. Customers, to them, simply have wallets. This guy, he wants his customers to find "their sound" ... and artist, helping artists. Please, Mr. Covington cymbal guy, a phone #, and address, a web site .... give us the info. Show papa your pies.​

Nodiggie

Gold Member
I'd be happy to check his hand made pies. Been lookin' for a hand made splash to run with my K setup.

We need to embrace shops like this. Introduce the shop owner to Drummerworld, and our forum. I happen to play Istanbul Memhet ... I'd gladly make my next purchase from this guy. The big box stores, they have no soul. Customers, to them, simply have wallets. This guy, he wants his customers to find "their sound" ... and artist, helping artists. Please, Mr. Covington cymbal guy, a phone #, and address, a web site .... give us the info. Show papa your pies.​
+1

Too bad we don't have anything like this in Georgia though :(

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Years ago I flew out to visit my brother who was living in the Cincinnati suburbs, and I got totally confused when I realized the airport is actually in Kentucky. I guess it's no diffferent than flying into Newark NJ when visiting NYC, except that NYC has two other airports actually in the city.