Virgin bass drum myth/hoax

wahooworld

Myth: A virgin bass drum sounds noticeable different than a bass drum that has a tom mount installed.
I have (3) 24" Gretsch Brooklyn virgin bass drum kits, also have a Gretsch Renown double bass drum kit with tom mounts installed and have tuned them and dampened them every which way and use the best and latest Evans , Remo, Aquarius drum heads and no noticeable sound difference whatsoever whether being recorded or just by ear. It is a myth and a hoax to justify a higher price for the 'virgin' bass as opposed to the bass that has a mount installed, or purely for cosmetic and appearance preferences.
I find the hardware mounts in the bass drums very useful and provide for a more efficient setup and reach accessibility that far outweigh any cosmetic visual preference. I believe that is why the majority of great 60's, 70's, rock drummers used them with no noticeable effect to the music.

Attachments

• E79DCE49-894C-4452-BE73-9635C2472153.jpeg
    E79DCE49-894C-4452-BE73-9635C2472153.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 15
  • E2B20A2F-953C-4247-9E2B-16C8508144CE.jpeg
    E2B20A2F-953C-4247-9E2B-16C8508144CE.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 2DF6D7FF-A991-4971-AF73-46E0B0FC4295.jpeg
    2DF6D7FF-A991-4971-AF73-46E0B0FC4295.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 8623B8D6-323B-403C-9912-F76E8C3E3BEC.jpeg
    8623B8D6-323B-403C-9912-F76E8C3E3BEC.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 08F5C648-7B16-4F0C-A7D4-AF6A81EB8314.jpeg
    08F5C648-7B16-4F0C-A7D4-AF6A81EB8314.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 6
  • A8867D3C-2919-4492-86D3-2DDBFCA9692B.jpeg
    A8867D3C-2919-4492-86D3-2DDBFCA9692B.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 6
  • B8B529AD-9A1C-43FC-8F3E-267306886DD4.jpeg
    B8B529AD-9A1C-43FC-8F3E-267306886DD4.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It depends what sound you want from the kick. If left wide open, a pair of mounted toms might have a measurable effect, but doubtful it would be audible to the ear or in the context of the kit being played. But once you put a blanket or other damping in the drum, I would agree that there's no audible difference.

There absolutely is a difference in sound if you’re running wide open with no muffling or port, however I still prefer a tom mount on the kick. I usually run an arm for a ride off of that too.

There is a difference in my ear because I'm a drummer if playing in front of an audience they wouldn't no any difference.

Last edited:
I'd ALWAYS rather have a virgin kick, over one with a center mount or rail consolette. The toms suffer way more than the bass drum, using vintage (you mentioned the 60's and 70's) tom mounts. I really dislike the Ludwig, Gretsch and Slingerland rail. Rogers Swivo was the best of the breed (which is why so many Swivo mounts found their ways onto Ludwig, Gretsch and Slingerland basses).

Then there's placement. Why so many drummers put their rack toms on snare stands. Doesn't do me any good, to have a rail or center flange on a bass drum, and I can't get the tom where I want it. I'd rather have a clean panel of wood, thank you.

The great drummers of the 60's and 70's were working with what they had. Had suspension mounts and rack systems been invented, I'm sure they would have been welcomed and used. ;)

I'd ALWAYS rather have a virgin kick, over one with a center mount or rail consolette. The toms suffer way more than the bass drum, using vintage (you mentioned the 60's and 70's) tom mounts. I really dislike the Ludwig, Gretsch and Slingerland rail. Rogers Swivo was the best of the breed (which is why so many Swivo mounts found their ways onto Ludwig, Gretsch and Slingerland basses).

Then there's placement. Why so many drummers put their rack toms on snare stands. Doesn't do me any good, to have a rail or center flange on a bass drum, and I can't get the tom where I want it. I'd rather have a clean panel of wood, thank you.

The great drummers of the 60's and 70's were working with what they had. Had suspension mounts and rack systems been invented, I'm sure they would have been welcomed and used. ;)
having a tom on a snare stand is the worst, as soon as those 3 grips tighten on the tom it restricts it drastically....there are snare stands now that isolate the arms correctly to resolve that situation, I use GTS mounts and the toms sing as they should. 👍

having a tom on a snare stand is the worst, as soon as those 3 grips tighten on the tom it restricts it drastically....there are snare stands now that isolate the arms correctly to resolve that situation, I use GTS mounts and the toms sing as they should. 👍
actually Gauger percussion bases their business on that very snare stand problem.....https://www.gaugerpercussion.com/flex-frametrade-snare-stand-isolation.html

I am planning on drilling mount holes on all (3) Gretsch 24" x 18" bass drums shown in my photos I included. It will eliminate 2 or three stands as it did on my double bass kit and sounds great, no difference......and improves the drum and cymbal placement and setup. Also, I never knew or saw any drummer NOT dampen their bass drum at all; as in play it wide open. With the presence of real guitars, bass, and keyboards no difference in bass drum sound will be noticeable to anyone, even other drummers.

Loves me some good myths, hoaxes and marketing hype!

Virgin bass drum - ✅
Tom in snare stand - ✅
Ported reso bass drum head - ✅
Laundry in bass drum - ✅
Muffling on toms and snare drum - ✅
DW drums - ✅

If someone has some more snake oil, I’m obviously a glutton.

I think it's all bull I prefer my toms on the kick. I've used both and could not hear any differences.

How long have we been having this conversation ? It comes up over and over again, if you were on RMMP then we had arguments about this from way way way back.

It’s just kind of amusing that’s all, I don’t care if someone resurrects it. I just don’t care :) Just have fun playing the drums, that’s all I ask :)

virgin bass drums exist because when you put twin toms w/ post on these size bass drums
no one can reach
Instead of Virgin they could be called
"Don't bother"..
It's a thought)

Last edited:
Back