Virgil now playing DW

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I can't believed no-one mentioned this but Virgil has moved from Pearl to DW.

“I appreciated my time playing Pearl, but it felt like the time was right to embrace a new sound, and a fresh start. I’m thrilled at the possibilities with my new instrument both in the studio and on stage. I will be playing DW for the first time on my upcoming tour in Europe.”

What do people reckon? He could make anything sound good but I was never a big fan of his pearls, not sure if that was the drums or just the way he tuned them.

Here's a new clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKpwwfLGy8&list=UUJMu6uEIhGpqvhfK5vzidAw

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Band sounds stellar! Good audio too, but standard default gig processing, so difficult to hear anything standout about the drum sound.

I demonstrated (very badly) a kit to Virgil at LDS two years ago in our demo room. I didn't know it was him - go figure!

uniongoon

Gold Member
Cant say the brand makes a difference, snare is tuned to sound identical to his Pearl, but it sure sounds like he loved the Holdsworth gig.

mikel

Platinum Member
With eq and processing who could tell the difference? The usual media speak about how great his new drums are. I am much more inclined to believe an endorsement by someone who has used a product for years, at there own expense, and then been offered a contract by the company in recognition of that. And yes, I would love to be endorsing a companies gear, as would most of us I presume.

I would prefer if I was offered Premier or Yamaha gear though. Picky? me? Nah just discerning.

Mikecore

Silver Member
... I am much more inclined to believe an endorsement by someone who has used a product for years, at there own expense, and then been offered a contract by the company in recognition of that.
I think there would be a buzz about what kind of gear he's using even without an official endorsement deal. I don't think any drummer of his fame could "quietly" make that kind of move.