Virgil Donati

Al Strange

I'm a Virgil fan...he has a great mind for handeling complicated music and I'm thoroughly impressed but can I say one thing about how I feel concerning Buddy Rich?. Do I need to go through the alphabet?..Vinnie..Steve...Dave..etc etc. To this day no one makes me feel the way I do when watching/listening to Buddy. Players have better technique today...(some) but no one lights a fire under my -.-.-. like buddy does. He's just magical..his looseness....his feel...everything about him is untouched to this day. Lots of techno wizards out there that can blow your mind but they don't do it like Buddy did for my money. I'm just as impressed with Buddy TODAY!..i really am.
I love Buddy Rich too! (y) :D

drumnut87

seen virgil and met him a few times, a phenomenal player!!! :D

Old PIT Guy

He does the alternating quad in this section. By alternating I mean that a single hand stroke is followed by a single BD stroke, not 2 over 2. You can hear the difference. I've set it to start a little before the section.

Watch from about 14:30 and set it to half speed and focus on his legs. The notes fall foot-hand-foot-hand alternating between both hands and feet. It's totally different than 2 hands followed by 2 feet.

Bozozoid

He does the alternating quad in this section. By alternating I mean that a single hand stroke is followed by a single BD stroke, not 2 over 2. You can hear the difference. I've set it to start a little before the section.

Watch from about 14:30 and set it to half speed and focus on his legs. The notes fall foot-hand-foot-hand alternating between both hands and feet. It's totally different than 2 hands followed by 2 feet.

I told ya...see what you can do when you put the time in?. The new gunslinger...get me a whiskey barkeep. Watch this stranger sherrif.

s1212z

I can't find the video, I saw him play a very early instruction video (wearing a big leather jacket), and though young and practiced/developed quite a bit since, he was a monster then.

My only critic, I haven't found (not that I'm actively looking) of a musical situation I really dug. Planet X was not for me and I don't care for all the fusion-metal stuff....it's become a drummer's drummer kind of thing. I'd like to hear Virgil in an acoustic situation, maybe a jazz piano trio to see what he would do or some weird line up, maybe there are records people could point to that show other sides of his playing. Some much talent, would like to hear a situation to really match it.

I'm a big Zakir Hussain fan. There are a million tabla players that know subdivision inversions and can do math games at a crazy high level. But he has more than several qualities that separate him from the field: knows western music exceptionally well and is a top tier jazz improviser....but for all the Indian classical he knows how to make the 'math' stuff digestible for any audience and make melodic, which is a difficult feat to have complex music 'listenable'. Reminds of a Bruford quote, something like he wanted engage both a non-musician or someone like Max Roach at the highest level at the same time, that would then be saying something.

Old PIT Guy

My ancient iPad was deader than dead so I had to let it charge enough to run off the adapter before I could make this sort demo. If it sounds weird it's because it's a practice kit with mesh heads that I've tuned with tape to have a little tone and volume.