Vinyl Wrappng

ncc

Silver Member
Has anyone ever vinyl wrapped drum shells (professionally of course) or is that a really bad idea?

GeoB

Gold Member
Has anyone ever vinyl wrapped drum shells (professionally of course) or is that a really bad idea?[/QUOTE

An old friend of mine wrapped his father's handmedown drums in black vinyl (a leather looking vinyl) and they worked fine.

But... he had to glue it on. He had those drums for years, might even still have them. But they were probably maple or birch and I think they sounded okay. If I heard them with todays knowledge and todays ears for tone I would probably say that they were muffled a bit. I can't imagine that the wood would resonate better with the vinyl than without it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have been considering using vinyl auto wrap as a recovering alternative. It is extremely thin (2-6 mils for 3M brand), and if it is durable enough for a car, it should be just fine on drums. It is a bit pricey though, about $20 a linear foot on a 60" wide roll. The colors and prints are almost endless.

ncc

Silver Member
Hi.

What you did looks GREAT but that was not what i meant. I was thinking about the stuff used today to wrap cars. For example, http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Applications/Series1080/.

These are stick on vinyl. This material works great on cars and should work on a drum. But it does not really breath, but then neither does the plastic wrap shipped. Im only worried about rips, but its pretty durable. Im going to play around a bit t see what happens. ;-)

ncc

Silver Member
I have been considering using vinyl auto wrap as a recovering alternative. It is extremely thin (2-6 mils for 3M brand), and if it is durable enough for a car, it should be just fine on drums. It is a bit pricey though, about $20 a linear foot on a 60" wide roll. The colors and prints are almost endless.
This is what im trying, in a custom color (i know the guys with the machines to make them) if it works I may be able to help you out at a much lower cost. Ill post after i try it.

ncc

Silver Member
I just tried the first experiment here with vinyl wrapping of drums. I decided to start with my Sonor 'Players' kit snare.

Below are are some before and after pics. The beauty of doing a self adhering vinyl wrap is you do not have to remove the old finish (unless it is too far gone) and you can always easily take the vinyl off.

From even a very short distance away, they look really good! If you get really (and I mean really) close, you can see a few very small imperfections (air bubbles) which I have been assured will go away over the next couple days or so.

The time to do the snare was less than an hour including removing all the hardware. I'm not sure of the exact cost, but it I had to guess, this full color custom finish wrap can be sold for around $20-$25 US. for the snare and about $40-$45 for the bass drum with the ring inserts. A business case is being done to see if it may make sense to produce and sell these. Although the vinyl is supposed to be very durable (and this sure seems to be), there is also a clear bra made that can go over the wrap. I did not do that with this snare.

Note that this is not meant as a replacement for the tradition drum (plastic) wrap used for restoration, but could be a really good low cost alternative to just have a newer finish.

Attachments

uniongoon

Gold Member
I did this kit in 3M vehicle wrap. You can get any photo laid onto the wrap which gives endless possibilities. Mine uses 3 separate photos of ice caves.