Vintage Slingerland pedal--anyone know?

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

As you probably know, I've been on a hella roll lately acquiring drums, parts, cymbals, etc., either REAL cheap, or free. Well, it just keeps going.....

The bass player in my rock band Triple Shot gave me this classic/antique Slingerland bass pedal last night (FREE) and said "it might be worth something, I dunno".

I've looked around online and can't find a description, pics, year/model, etc. Anyone have any clues for me? It has and actual sheepskin beater, which is weird.

Thanks,
C. P.

Attachments

• Slingerland pedal 001.jpg
    Slingerland pedal 001.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 3,313
  • Slingerland pedal 002.jpg
    Slingerland pedal 002.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 2,934
  • Slingerland pedal 003.jpg
    Slingerland pedal 003.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 2,845
  • Slingerland pedal 004.jpg
    Slingerland pedal 004.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 2,773
Every company, darn near, made a pedal that looked like that. Keep the beater and throw the pedal away. Unless you want to start a pedal collection. Then you'll probably hold onto the pedal for 5 years or so, before throwing it away. Personally, I'd rather have one of these. Slingerlands "kinda" answer to the direct drive Speed King.

Attachments

• MVC-016F.jpg
    MVC-016F.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3,037
Hey Harry,

Well, it might be worth nothing, but I'll wait and see after I find out about it--that's one reason I always ask the experts here, since I can't find any info on it (so far) on the web.

Throwing anything away that's older and still useable or rebuildable to me would be like burying the undead, or taking an old motorcycle that you bought at an estate sale for $50 to the city dump before you checked out what it's worth.

Whatever it's value is (maybe nada, maybe something, maybe a LOT), it's still a cool old pedal, and I'll put it to good use.

Cheers,
C. P.

Every company, darn near, made a pedal that looked like that..

Nice to know that I'm not the only who noticed that pedal looked familiar, but not as a Slingerland.

It looks exactly like some Pearl pedals I used to have, only with a different footboard.

The pedal is from the late 80's. From a time when Slingeland started out sourcing their hardware to Tawain which is why it matches so many other pedals. I'm not sure it could be considered vintage? The yellow pedal is a yellow jacket. A variation on the eariler super speed model which came out in the 70's. The super speed was similar to the speed king in that the springs were inside the frame and one stretched while the other was pushed.

Sorry, I was wrong about this. It was the old Ghost pedal where one spring compressed while the other stretched. Both springs in both the super speed and the speed king compressed.

Last edited:
Hey Harry,

Well, it might be worth nothing, but I'll wait and see after I find out about it--that's one reason I always ask the experts here, since I can't find any info on it (so far) on the web.
Just keep an eye out on eBay. I currently have 4 pedals in my "pedal museum". 3 of which were donated. They are what the are. Selling them (on eBay) isn't much of an option, being shipping would be more than the sale price. I've already done that research.
.....super speed model which came out in the 70's. The super speed was similar to the speed king in that the springs were inside the frame and one stretched while the other was pushed.
Ah......the Super Speed

Attachments

• MVC-018F.jpg
    MVC-018F.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,669
I'm surprised that you guys seemed to have settled on the 80s. I don't remember seeing any Slingerland pedals that looked like that in the 80s. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing many Slingerland kits at all during the 80s! The company took a downturn in sales long before that as I recall. I think that by the late 70s, Slingerland was kind of out of the picture in most of the Ma and Pa music stores that were norm back then. I do distinctly remember seeing Slingerland pedals that were similar during the 70s. The first chain drive pedals that I remember were from the late 60s or early 70s.
I bought my Speed King in 1971 because It had direct drive. There were still many leather drive pedals in the stores back then.

I'm surprised that you guys seemed to have settled on the 80s. I don't remember seeing any Slingerland pedals that looked like that in the 80s. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing many Slingerland kits at all during the 80s! The company took a downturn in sales long before that as I recall. I think that by the late 70s, Slingerland was kind of out of the picture in most of the Ma and Pa music stores that were norm back then. I do distinctly remember seeing Slingerland pedals that were similar during the 70s. The first chain drive pedals that I remember were from the late 60s or early 70s.
I bought my Speed King in 1971 because It had direct drive. There were still many leather drive pedals in the stores back then.

Hi Bob,

Slinglerland didn't go out of business until the late 90's. At the time this pedal came out I don't know who owned them. I played Slingerlands through the mid 80's when they became junk, just my opinion. They are back in business now and owned by Gibson, but they don't make their own shells anymore and are another one of the Keller shell clones. Considering their price competes with DW I can't see them making it as a Keller drum. Your right that they did start dying in the 80's and were shortly followed by the dying of Ludwig. Ludwig is still owned by Selmer though and unlike Slingerland have made a great come back. Since this is about pedals, imo their new speed king, which is now made in China, has no resemblance to it's glory days.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Slingerland/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingerland_Drum_Company

Ah......the Super Speed

The Super Speed was advertised as a Speed King Competitor but it never cut it. The action sucked. I did like the long, long board. Unlike the Speed King though picking between the short or long board wasn't an adjustment option. This pedal would have been perfect though for those that attempt heel-toe but can't get comfortable with a small board. This thing was huge. If only it had worked well.

This was my first Slinglerland kit bought in 74. The 74 kit didn't come with boom stands.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/slingerland_drum_sets/1977-78-slingerland-drumsets3.jpg

I still have a couple of these Tempo King pedals and love them. I also still have the 20" floor tom from this kit. It's been under the basement stairs at my parents for 25 years, and will probably be there another 25! 8)

Hey Harry,

Weird that you'd show that pic---The same dude that gave me the Slingerland pedal also gave me a bass pedal "frame" with no hardware to hook up springs, etc., and two side tubes (that I'm sure probably contain internal springs now) and it's just weird.

It looks real similar to your pictured pedal. Here's some (blurry) pics. Any ideas what this thing is? Thanks in advance for all info!

Cheers,
C. P.

Attachments

• Weird Bass Pedal 001.jpg
    Weird Bass Pedal 001.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 2,578
  • Weird Bass Pedal 002.jpg
    Weird Bass Pedal 002.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 2,594
  • Weird Bass Pedal 003.jpg
    Weird Bass Pedal 003.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 2,609
  • Weird Bass Pedal 004.jpg
    Weird Bass Pedal 004.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 2,478
Hey Harry,

Weird that you'd show that pic---The same dude that gave me the Slingerland pedal also gave me a bass pedal "frame" with no hardware to hook up springs, etc., and two side tubes (that I'm sure probably contain internal springs now) and it's just weird.

It looks real similar to your pictured pedal. Here's some (blurry) pics. Any ideas what this thing is? Thanks in advance for all info!

Cheers,
C. P.

That's a Speed King frame Pete. The originals were gray. Here's the new speed king:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUDL201

BTW, the screws on the bottom are the spring adjustments.

Second that. Ludwig Speed King frame. That, you should save. Start watching eBay to see what they sell for. You might find a junker/parts pedal, with the stuff you need to make yours complete. And a floorplate does wonders for the Speed King.

Attachments

• 135-3599_IMG.JPG
    135-3599_IMG.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,152
Every company, darn near, made a pedal that looked like that. Keep the beater and throw the pedal away. Unless you want to start a pedal collection. Then you'll probably hold onto the pedal for 5 years or so, before throwing it away. Personally, I'd rather have one of these. Slingerlands "kinda" answer to the direct drive Speed King.

That's the "Yellow Jacket" the best pedal Slingerland made IMO, Pops played one for years back in the 70"s.

Bonzolead

Second that. Ludwig Speed King frame. That, you should save. Start watching eBay to see what they sell for. You might find a junker/parts pedal, with the stuff you need to make yours complete. And a floorplate does wonders for the Speed King.

Did Ludwig make a footplate, or is that homemade? I don't remember ever seeing one from Ludwig.

wow Harry....i haven't that Slingerland pedal in YEARS!!!!! wasn't it called the Yellow Jacket?

wow Harry....i haven't that Slingerland pedal in YEARS!!!!! wasn't it called the Yellow Jacket?

Quite correct. The Yellow Jacket.
Did Ludwig make a footplate, or is that homemade? I don't remember ever seeing one from Ludwig.
Homemade, yes ......... though I like to say "domestically field modified".

Back