vintage slingerland auction

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Good luck with that. I know my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit is not as nice as the Slingerland. But the hardware is better, and it cost me $650.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Doesn't hurt to try, though IMO $2K is high even

You need to hide the BD hoop inly seam(s) outta sight under a claw, it'll help with the presentation.

This kit looks refinished, not just by the fact I used to have SLINGERLANDS from that era, but the quality of the finish doesn't look factory and the finish's hue/colour doesn't match the drums age.

Attachments

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Yeah, it has been refinished, and I said that on the listing. The only reason its up for this price is because I don't need to sell it really. I bought it for $2600, and I'll only sell it if I make a profit.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Good luck with that. I know my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit is not as nice as the Slingerland. But the hardware is better, and it cost me $650.
Even though its old, I doubt the hardware is better on the catalina. I've heard bad things about the hardware on those, might be wrong though.

Ian

Silver Member
I've rebuilt Slingerlands of that era and I will say with 100% confidence that the Catalina hardware is far better. The Slingerland tom mounts are weak and bass and floor tom brackets are weak and strip easily and replacing them is not cheap. Also, a refinished instrument will almost ALWAYS fetch less than an original finish kit, regardless of condition.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you are asking mint Camco, Way, and Rogers money for a refinished Slimgerland. That doesn't add up. Slingys are awesome and I have a serous soft spot for them, but the fact of the matter is my love for Slingerland drums started because they were affordable and the hardware could be easily upgraded to improve the playability of the kits.

Keep your drums. They are gorgeous and they probably sound better than they look.

That being said, if someone pays you your asking price CONGRATS!

Last edited:

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Even though its old, I doubt the hardware is better on the catalina. I've heard bad things about the hardware on those, might be wrong though.
My first decent set was a Slingerland bass drum and two mounted toms. The tom mount system was terrible. The bass drum legs were pretty bad too. The lugs were good, but that was about it.

Ian

Silver Member
My first decent set was a Slingerland bass drum and two mounted toms. The tom mount system was terrible. The bass drum legs were pretty bad too. The lugs were good, but that was about it.
The lugs are fantastic! As are the shells and hoops. The sad thing is Slingerland didn't care enough about their brand identity and their lugs and hoops were heavily copied by Asian knock-off builders in the 70's and 80's so they don't have and will probably never achieve the iconic brand nature of some of the other American builders.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Hello again. I'm moving away in feb, maybe early march at latest. I won't be able to bring it with me, so i'll buy one over in montréal. So I figure, its better to have money in the back pocket than a kit i won't be using for a year, so I'm looking to sell it before I leave. What type of asking price would you think of for a kit like this?

opentune

Platinum Member
I'm putting together a Slingerland kit from orphan drums so have hunted around a lot. you're asking way too much from what I've seen. Again, the drums shells, and sound, are excellent. I think older Slingy's make great 'players' kits - vintage drums that you can take out, not worry about de-valuing and they sound so good. From what I've seen though, 1000 max is the best you can expect from that kit. Sadly, the refinishing really de-valued it on the market...... but I bet it sounds great.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Hello again. I'm moving away in feb, maybe early march at latest. I won't be able to bring it with me, so i'll buy one over in montréal. So I figure, its better to have money in the back pocket than a kit i won't be using for a year, so I'm looking to sell it before I leave. What type of asking price would you think of for a kit like this?
Although a 14x18 bass drum is pretty scarce,followed by a 14x14 floor tom,thats not really a collectors grade kit.Firstly it was refinished.Secondly to be a complete kit ,they were all sold with a COB Sound King snare drum.Lastly,Slingerland only sold one outfit with a 18" bass drum and a 14" floor tom,and that was the "Jet "outfit.But the bass drum that came with it actually had metal COB stick saver rims...not wood hoops.So your bass drum could have been a custom ordered,and not a catalog item,or after market wood hoops put on the drum at some time after purchase.Collectors don't like drums that were custom made

In this market,If I were to sell it,I would but it up for a 2000 reserve,but I don't think it will get there.If you're planning to but a kit like that in Montreal...good luck.It will be extremely hard to replace those drums,because of the sizes,not the originality.They are a great PLAYERS kit,and you won't find another that sounds like them.

Steve B

larryz

Platinum Member
Although a 14x18 bass drum is pretty scarce,followed by a 14x14 floor tom,thats not really a collectors grade kit.Firstly it was refinished.Secondly to be a complete kit ,they were all sold with a COB Sound King snare drum.Lastly,Slingerland only sold one outfit with a 18" bass drum and a 14" floor tom,and that was the "Jet "outfit.But the bass drum that came with it actually had metal COB stick saver rims...not wood hoops.So your bass drum could have been a custom ordered,and not a catalog item,or after market wood hoops put on the drum at some time after purchase.Collectors don't like drums that were custom made

In this market,If I were to sell it,I would but it up for a 2000 reserve,but I don't think it will get there.If you're planning to but a kit like that in Montreal...good luck.It will be extremely hard to replace those drums,because of the sizes,not the originality.They are a great PLAYERS kit,and you won't find another that sounds like them.

Steve B
The Mighty Steve has spoken! Great analysis. This is a real nice set, can't go wrong with Slingerlands, but I'm not sure any vintage drum kit is worth over $2,000. Unless it was played by Buddy, Krupa, etc., etc.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The Mighty Steve has spoken! Great analysis. This is a real nice set, can't go wrong with Slingerlands, but I'm not sure any vintage drum kit is worth over $2,000. Unless it was played by Buddy, Krupa, etc., etc.
In a better economy,I think both of us would be amazed what some certain drums would sell for.There was an early 70's Ludwig downbeat snare in citrus mod wrap on ebay a few months ago,that went for over $7000...yep 3 zeros.Certain drums will always bring top dollar.When it becomes a sellers market again,very few of us will be able to afford vintage gear because I think it will double in value in short order.So buy now when you can,because the current crop of Japanese collectors have very deep pockets,especially were Ludwig is concerned.

Steve B

D

Doctor Dirt

Sold 3 Camco drums a while back for 3,700.00. 14x18/8x12/14x14 and they sounded GREAT!!! Early White Clouds. Not saying their worth that much but someone thought so. Actually there was more than one because I had mail on them for weeks after the sale. Doc

I'll take early (60s) Slingerland over all the American made major drum companies back then. Other than Camco!

uniongoon

Gold Member
Reminds me of a Supertramp song "Dreamer"

Although the numerous 60's Slingerlands I have had were 20", 12" 16", they were bought for 5-600 and sold for less than 800.