Vintage Ludwig speed king

oldmetalhead

I used to play the Ludwig speed king back in the day. Does anyone know where I can get them now and if they are reconditioned?

You can find them. Just do a search and they pop up everywhere used.

I used the Speed King. Actually had 2 since I was double bassing it at the time. Late 60s early 70s. Decided a while back to get another one after 40 years and relive the "old days". Well,,,,sure wasn't what I remembered. Not as responsive as the new pedals of today. I guess for me anyway....you can't go back.

Thanks for the feedback. I used to love that pedal but if today's pedals are more responsive maybe that is the way to go?

$3000.00 seems a bit pricey dont you think?
Oh, that's way pricey. I think I picked up mine for around $125-150. It's not a pedal I'd use as a "main", but it's kinda cool to revisit every once in a while. I play my Camco's (Camco by Tama) a whole lot more.​

Thanks for the feedback. I used to love that pedal but if today's pedals are more responsive maybe that is the way to go?

Today's pedals are fantastic. You should at least put your feet on some and see for yourself before deciding. You might be surprised at what you find.

Where are you located? I have a Speed King pedal that I Haven't used in over three years. It's yours if you want it. I kept is as a backup after I bought the Pearl Demonator. Seriously, though, the Pearl is everything I need and mor. No reason to use the backu. I'm located in Southern California.

Today's pedals are fantastic. You should at least put your feet on some and see for yourself before deciding. You might be surprised at what you find.

What's more fantastic about the modern pedals than the old pedals? Have you had experiences with the old ones?

What's more fantastic about the modern pedals than the old pedals? Have you had experiences with the old ones?

I owned a Speed King and a Ludwig Ghost for a while and couldn't really get on with either one. Sure, they did what they were supposed to, but I didn't like the way either one felt under my feet. I also had an old Camco pedal that felt okay, but I couldn't get a slave unit for it so it too is gone.

I play metal, I need two pedals that do what I want. The old stuff does not.

Nothing wrong with trying different stuff. Not trying out new stuff is doing one's self a disservice.

I Like them, not for everybody. Bonham seemed to do OK. with one.

I owned a Speed King and a Ludwig Ghost for a while and couldn't really get on with either one. Sure, they did what they were supposed to, but I didn't like the way either one felt under my feet. I also had an old Camco pedal that felt okay, but I couldn't get a slave unit for it so it too is gone.

I play metal, I need two pedals that do what I want. The old stuff does not.

Nothing wrong with trying different stuff. Not trying out new stuff is doing one's self a disservice.

I did not mean the speed king but all the previous professional pedals without base plate. It is true that today's pedals are faster overall than at that time and that is very important for some musicstyles today. Apart from that, I do not see real benefits for the "modern" pedals and I own some of them. Only expensive features that no one would really miss. And one thing must not be forgotten: these pedals are still working after 40 or more years, maybe not perfect. But they are still working. If you give them two new ball bearings and spend two hours then they are like new. The modern pedals have yet to prove it.

I did not mean the speed king but all the previous professional pedals without base plate. It is true that today's pedals are faster overall than at that time and that is very important for some musicstyles today. Apart from that, I do not see real benefits for the "modern" pedals and I own some of them. Only expensive features that no one would really miss. And one thing must not be forgotten: these pedals are still working after 40 or more years, maybe not perfect. But they are still working. If you give them two new ball bearings and spend two hours then they are like new. The modern pedals have yet to prove it.

I'm not a fan of all the adjustments either. My pedals are 20 year old single chain Pearl P900s. Before that I had Eliminators. They were heavier, double chain, and just too much to tinker with. However, someone looking for a pedal should try everything. There is no logical reason not to.

I guess by modern I was including everything from about 85 or so on. I have nothing against old pedals, they are just different.

Time will tell. I take care of and rebuild my pedals as needed. As it sits, I see no reason I can't get another 20 years out of my Pearls. Not everyone understands mechanics though. Disassembling a pedal would be a nightmare for them.

Speed King with a stabilizer plate.​

Attachments

• speed king a.JPG
    speed king a.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 93
  • speed king b.JPG
    speed king b.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 92
I used to play the Ludwig speed king back in the day. Does anyone know where I can get them now and if they are reconditioned?
They brought it back for a few years (it was black rather than grey)....my old grey one crapped out and I got the remake.... But they stopped the remake like in 2014....the remake was just as good at least for me.....both are Still out there Amazon and eBay... some are Remanufactured

Back