Vintage Ludwig lug box spring trouble

I have a 1970 ish 3 ply Ludwig blue and olive badge that I have had for a few years now, in the last year or so I have done a huge restoration on it mainly just cleaning and polishing new heads and cases etc. But the spring in the lug boxs in the floor tom is rattling, the little squares of foam in them had kind of perished but I put them back in anyway. I know that all the lugs on the floor tom have to come off again! and put new foam in it. But what I am wondering if any one has any tips as I don't want to have go at this more than one more time and when you get a small rattle it is impossible to tell which lug it is so need to make sure it works this time. Also, should I do the whole kit while I am at it? I have studio foam like Auralex that I could cut into same size pieces as the ones that were in it. Any advice is much appreciated, as I said it is time consuming to do the whole kit and want to get it right this time. The kit is 24x14 13x9 14x10 16x16 14x5.5 here is a couple of pics , the 14x10 not in pics

Attachments

lefty2

Platinum Member
I used to use cotton balls back in the day. My memory says the cotton balls worked great, but I was young and might not have had a good ear for those nuances. Now I there's a lot I can't hear. lol. Your kit looks very sweet.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
What a perfect excuse to show pictures of a beautiful classic kit! Love it.

I wrapped mine in felt. Will not deteriorate over time.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks for your input I have foam cotton balls and cloth so I'm going to have a mess around with the floor tom (which is the main culprit) this evening. I'll go mad if I put it back together and there is a rattle :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I second the good advice already given. No petroleum based products like foam, natural fibers only.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I have used foam for years to pack lugs. I'm sure the foam will last long longer than me.
The 'vintage' poly-foam stuff appears to last about 35-40 years. Some of it turns into dust. Some of it turns into something that resembles tar. I've been encountering a number of guitar cabinets this last year with the issue. 80's era stuff. Been using rock wool as a replacement to avoid having to use fiberglass, which I reserve for use on collectables that need to remain stock.

The new poly-foam is supposed to last much longer than the older stuff. Whether or not that's true.... We'll find out in 20 years I guess.

Stixnergard2

The 'vintage' poly-foam stuff appears to last about 35-40 years. Some of it turns into dust. Some of it turns into something that resembles tar. I've been encountering a number of guitar cabinets this last year with the issue. 80's era stuff. Been using rock wool as a replacement to avoid having to use fiberglass, which I reserve for use on collectables that need to remain stock.

The new poly-foam is supposed to last much longer than the older stuff. Whether or not that's true.... We'll find out in 20 years I guess.
When I restored my 1965 Sonor Teardrop kit, the 40 year old foam was dust. If the new foam I used lasts another 40 years, I'm happy.

2underpar

Silver Member
I have the same kit in red. And I also had a similar rattle. Mine was coming from the mufflers. My fix was to cut a round piece of Gorilla Tape and place it on the bottom side of the muffler. This fix may not be permanent but it took care of the rattle and was easy to do.

Last edited:
Yes the kit still has all of the original dampers and the they were rattling but a bit of tape on them and their fine now no rattles since. I was also thinking of getting atlas mounts to mount the rack toms as the original mounts are not great to say the least and it also means no ugly rims system or any tampering with the shell.Do you think this is a good idea?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Atlas mounts are great!
What is nice about them is you can easily undo the installation because there are no holes to drill and no modifications done to the drum shell.

I used some to upgrade my old Slingerland kit.

Yes I think this is what I'm going do,it seemed to work a treat for your slingerland kit, thank god this hardware came out before I invested in a rims system. That slingerland kit is sweet what year is it from, did you recover it?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Yes I think this is what I'm going do,it seemed to work a treat for your slingerland kit, thank god this hardware came out before I invested in a rims system. That slingerland kit is sweet what year is it from, did you recover it?
My Dad brought them new for me on my 13th birthday in 1963. The wrap was badly faded on one side due to sun exposure.
So last year I re-finished the drums and added some new hardware.

Here is what they originally looked like.

2underpar

Silver Member
Yes the kit still has all of the original dampers and the they were rattling but a bit of tape on them and their fine now no rattles since. I was also thinking of getting atlas mounts to mount the rack toms as the original mounts are not great to say the least and it also means no ugly rims system or any tampering with the shell.Do you think this is a good idea?
I still play mine as a 5 piece but rather nontraditionally. The 12" is mounted on a snare stand and the 13" is mounted on a cymbal stand using the Ludwig double tom mount and a pearl mounting bracket. The 24" bass sets the rack toms to high for my current taste. Back in the 70's & 80's I rocked my toms way up there but my taste have changed and prefer everything low and within easy reach.

Attachments

R2112

Silver Member
I recently was lucky enough to purchase one of my dream kits. 1960's Ludwig Super Classic in beautiful Champagne Sparkle. I had the same issue with a high pitch buzzing from the lugs. I researched and found the same link Hollywood Jim posted. Went to a local hobby store and purchased a sheet of felt. I tried to listen as close as I could to try and figure out which ones were buzzing. In the end I just decided to do all the lugs and be done with it. The felt worked perfectly. Simple and easy fix...just make sure to NOT over tighten the screws. Once they're snug stop tightening.