Vintage Ludwig Experts Needed for Snare Info

NerfLad

Silver Member
Hey guys, I have a chance to pick up what is supposedly an early prototype '62 Acrolite tomorrow for $100. It has the orange-peel gray paint job.

Here's the catch: it's got a rounded B/O badge with a serial # of 311XXXX. Is this legit? I mean, it's only a hundred bucks, and it comes with the original case and stand, but I thought these prototype acro's were pre-serial, with keystone badges and went for somewhere in the neighborhood of $600??

Any input is appreciated (especially you Steve B!)

-Eric

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Orange peel Acros were keystone badges, right? Sorry I'm not Steve. Only Steve is Steve. I'd say the orange peel shell is the more important detail. Sounds like the wrong badge was put on after the fact.

I really like the other avatar better Eric, but I guess I'll try to get used to it.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
That would be a c1980 drum (based on the badge and finish) and absolutely not a prototype. If it's in GREAT shape, it's worth $100 with stand. Otherwise start deducting as you find issues with it. Considering it comes with a stand - assuming it's a Ludwig from that era - don't expect to pay less than $75.

Bermuda

Aeolian

Platinum Member
So, is there a difference besides the orange peel paint? Which I would think being thicker would damp the shell a tiny bit more. My rounded B/O Acrolite has a 221 series S/N on it and a smooth grey finish. No way to know if someone repainted the one you're looking at.

Does it have a screw knob muffler? Or the bat handle one? My understanding is that the keystone drums have the bat handle. Mine has the round knob.

In any event, a straight one for $100 is a great and very useful drum.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Okay looking at his CL pictures actually I can see that the badge appears to start with a 54..... odd considering that 54xxxx badges were made in the keystone era

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
$75-$100 is tops IMO for this drum including the stand and case. It has the pad, which is kinda nice, but I never found those pads all that responsive.

I know the new reissued Acro's are more money, but the plain Brushed Aluminum shells sound much better IMO.

Maybe I'm being and "Acro snob", but, I'd pass on any of the older powder coated shells (this or the smooth gray).
There are tons of Acro's out there, and the earlier 70's, and going backward are the one's to go after IMO. My '75 has a satiny silver finish, and (to me) it sounds nicer than the one after it that was the gray color shell.

Just getting an Acro on the cheap, if a silver finished one never came up, I'd go for a Blackrolite because it has a smoother finish than this one. The inside of the Blackro I had was pretty darn smooth.

I give 2 enthusiastic thumbs up to the new 6.5 Acrolite Classic.
Throwin' up the horns for it too \m/ \m/

Just my snobby 2 cents :)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The early prototype acros had the real orengepeel finish,and it wasn't paint.They also had aluminum rims,and lugs.The shell wasn't spun aluminun,but was a one piece sheet aluminum,formed and welded and actually had a reinforcement piece over the weld inside the shell,and a pre serial number keystone badge.

The drum you have like Bermuda said is an 80's acro.The serial nimber chart does NOT work for drums past 79 to early80's and there after,so you can't date the drum with the serial number.It should have a date stamp inside the shell,but sometimes they don't.

Early to mid 80's.I'm afraid you'll have to be satisfied with that.The rounded corner B/O badge started around 79.It's not a collector.

Steve B

harryconway

Platinum Member
Tamadrm repeatedly hits the nail on the head. This is not a "deal of a lifetime" $600 drum being sold for $100. It is what it is. $100 is a good price for any snare, if it's what you want. I'd tell the guy to keep the case and stand, and offer him $50.​

Muckster

Platinum Member
That particular Acrolite is from 83'-84'. Ludwig introduced the Acrolite with powder coat finish over aluminum in the 83'-84' catalog.

So that is definately not from the 60's and the badge has not been switched.

And yes Larry the orange peel had the keystone badges.

mandrew

Gold Member
Nothing special in this drum, but it is an acrolite, and barring major problems with it, it is worth a hundred. I picked up a late 70's brushed aluminum on Ebay for $60. I updated the heads, put on a set of puresound wires, and am adding a P-86 strainer. For less than $200, I have a genuine killer snare that will hold its own against any $450 drum! think more upon those lines, and you will be way ahead of the game! Drum traders and drum players have different perspectives!

Muckster

Platinum Member
Nothing special in this drum, but it is an acrolite, and barring major problems with it, it is worth a hundred. I picked up a late 70's brushed aluminum on Ebay for $60. I updated the heads, put on a set of puresound wires, and am adding a P-86 strainer. For less than $200, I have a genuine killer snare that will hold its own against any $450 drum! think more upon those lines, and you will be way ahead of the game! Drum traders and drum players have different perspectives!
Acrolites are great Snares and have been used on recordings more than most people realize. Kenny Aronoff used one on Mellencamp's "Scarecrow" album.