Vintage Ludwig Bonham kit restoration project finally finished!

cdrums21

Gold Member
wow that kit's incredible!! the finish is so gorgeous, i can't stop staring........

I am truly envious, and at the same time excited for you! hope you have a blast on your new kit!

-Jonathan
Thanks brother! Yeah, I can't stop staring at it either. I don't know what it is about the green sparkle and the Bonham kit, but ever since I saw the original kit and heard that sound on recordings, I wanted one. Even if it's just to have in my home to hop on and play from time to time. Fortunately, I play in a 3 piece classic rock band in some smaller venues that require an acoustic kit unmiked. Sometimes I needed some more beef from the kick drum to fill out the room and stage. I think I have it now! :eek:)

Mendozart

Platinum Member
Thanks man. Yes, they are the reproduction badges sold on ebay by a guy named "myoldkentuckydrums". The drums turned out so well that the original badges looked out of place on them. So with a little help from my friends here on DW, I was able to locate the guy who sells the reproduction badges. They're really nice, just no serial number.
Cool. I went with the same badges on my Blaemire/Ludwig build. The new badges just look so clean.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48355

cdrums21

Gold Member
Mindblowing kit, the work put into it certainly paid off.
Thanks brother. The hardest part was removing the old glue. I had to use alot of elbow grease to get them stripped down to the bare wood. Once that was done, the rest wasn't too bad. I'm glad you guys are digging it, I'm very happy with the final product.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Clint, fantastic job. They are beautiful drums. Please let me know how they worked out on a gig. As for the bass drum, I take it it's 14" deep? Being use to the Yamaha 16" depth did you notice more of a punch with the Ludwig? Also for the batter head did you use the coated emperor?

I pick my Slingerlands up tomorrow night. I have coated ambassadors on the batters and clear ambassadors on the reso but the bass drum I have yet to decide? I do have a clear PS3 I may try.

After looking at your masterpiece I'm afraid to list pics of my Slingerlands :)

Pete

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Totally fantastic job.
Top notch all the way, couldn't be nicer even if it came out of the factory as the new Legacy drums.
Nice choice on the beefier ride mount tilter, and the bigger spurs too.

And I LOVE the 12 lug 14!

12 vs.16 lugs makes a lot of difference on that tom (I think anyway).
Very open and breathy sound, along with the same crack and big tone.

Yes, I'm drooling.....

Great job!! Have lots of fun!!

cdrums21

Gold Member
Clint, fantastic job. They are beautiful drums. Please let me know how they worked out on a gig. As for the bass drum, I take it it's 14" deep? Being use to the Yamaha 16" depth did you notice more of a punch with the Ludwig? Also for the batter head did you use the coated emperor?

I pick my Slingerlands up tomorrow night. I have coated ambassadors on the batters and clear ambassadors on the reso but the bass drum I have yet to decide? I do have a clear PS3 I may try.

After looking at your masterpiece I'm afraid to list pics of my Slingerlands :)

Pete
Hey Pete,
They worked out good on a gig. They are different, no doubt, but they work in certain situations very well. I'll still play my MCA's when miked up and in some rooms that enhance their sound better, but I will use the Ludwigs on some gigs. I have an 18" depth Yamaha kick (22x18) and the 26x14 Ludwig is a tad quicker to react, but I wouldn't say punchier. It sounds bigger and fuller acoustically. Right now I have the Ludwig kit outfitted with what Bonham's kit had with the coated Emperor kick head and on top of the toms. They are very warm sounding and don 't have the attack that clear heads have. Therefore, they don't cut as well in some situations, but sound fine in others. Basically, it's two different sounding kits for different applications that I'll use to best fit the situation. I may end up trying different heads just to experiment with sound, but I wanted to try this combo out first. Thanks for the compliments! Your Slingerland kit will be awesome man, looking forward to seeing it.

cdrums21

Gold Member
Totally fantastic job.
Top notch all the way, couldn't be nicer even if it came out of the factory as the new Legacy drums.
Nice choice on the beefier ride mount tilter, and the bigger spurs too.

And I LOVE the 12 lug 14!

12 vs.16 lugs makes a lot of difference on that tom (I think anyway).
Very open and breathy sound, along with the same crack and big tone.

Yes, I'm drooling.....

Great job!! Have lots of fun!!
Thank you Karl. I like the beefier hardware too...makes me feel a little more secure. I didn't know 14" toms came with 12 lugs until I saw the Bonham kit here on Drummerworld. I like the way it looks and sounds too. Thanks for the compliments!

drumhammerer

Silver Member
I love the 6 lug 14" tom as well. I have 2 ludwig 14" toms (a 6 ply and a 3 ply) and they both have 6 lugs per side. I also have a keller 16 lugger 14" tom, and it chokes alot easier, and can be trickier to tune. For head alternatives, you might try some smooth white emperors. They still have the white coated look, but they're brighter with better attack, and very durable. They're not as round sounding as the coated emps, but they still have very warm resonance. If you're having problems with attack on the bass drum, try a rolled up towel duct taped to the batter side. I find this really increases the attack, yet still lets a little boom through. I actually use a coated powerstroke 4 on my 26", but it's also a little deeper, so maybe the attack is a little better because of that, but I will throw a rolled up towel in there if I want a little more attack.

cdrums21

Gold Member
I love the 6 lug 14" tom as well. I have 2 ludwig 14" toms (a 6 ply and a 3 ply) and they both have 6 lugs per side. I also have a keller 16 lugger 14" tom, and it chokes alot easier, and can be trickier to tune. For head alternatives, you might try some smooth white emperors. They still have the white coated look, but they're brighter with better attack, and very durable. They're not as round sounding as the coated emps, but they still have very warm resonance. If you're having problems with attack on the bass drum, try a rolled up towel duct taped to the batter side. I find this really increases the attack, yet still lets a little boom through. I actually use a coated powerstroke 4 on my 26", but it's also a little deeper, so maybe the attack is a little better because of that, but I will throw a rolled up towel in there if I want a little more attack.
Thanks for the advice on the smooth white emps. I didn't think of that and I think they would help with the attack quite a bit. The bass drum seems to be fine. I have a falams patch at the beater impact point, plus I use the hard plastic side of a DW 9000 beater and it gives it enough attack to cut well. I suspect that replacing the bottom heads with smooth white ambassadors instead of coated ones would help with making the toms sound a bit brighter as well. Arrgghh...more $$$$ to spend!

spirit

superb pics of a fantastic kit- I love the restoration work done. I really hope you get many many years of playing out of her, she is a fine example you should be proud!

Top marks!

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi Clint,

Glad your having fun with the Ludwig's. Looks like your still experimenting with heads? I have the coated ambassadors on the toms with the clear ambassador bottoms and I like them. their tuned higher than the Yamaha's but nice, warm and full. The bass is still a work in progress. Right now I have a single ply Evans EMAD (no muffler ring) EMAD pillow and the Aquarian reso head tuned low but I'm thinking of getting a coated emperor? Spend, spend, spend. I have to stop or I will be sleeping with my drums :)

I will be using the Slingerland kit this Saturday night.

Have a great Easter Clint.

cdrums21

Gold Member
Hi Clint,

Glad your having fun with the Ludwig's. Looks like your still experimenting with heads? I have the coated ambassadors on the toms with the clear ambassador bottoms and I like them. their tuned higher than the Yamaha's but nice, warm and full. The bass is still a work in progress. Right now I have a single ply Evans EMAD (no muffler ring) EMAD pillow and the Aquarian reso head tuned low but I'm thinking of getting a coated emperor? Spend, spend, spend. I have to stop or I will be sleeping with my drums :)

I will be using the Slingerland kit this Saturday night.

Have a great Easter Clint.
Happy Easter to you too Pete. I haven't begun to experiment yet,....still haven't played them in enough rooms and situations. If the toms continue to be very warm with little attack and get lost in the overall stage sound, I may try some things. They are big and full for sure, I just don't know if the coated heads top and bottom are right for cutting through the band on stage. The room I played them in isn't a very good sounding room, but my Yamahas cut nice in there...most likely because of the clear heads on top and bottom on the Yammies. We'll see. Good luck with the Slingerlands and let us know how it goes.

drumhammerer

Silver Member
Yeah, the room you're playing can also have a major impact on your sound too. The coated 2 ply heads don't seem to cut for me on smaller drums either, so it may not be the sizes. I have a set with sizes similar to yours, and I've found that I prefer coated resos on the mounted toms, but the clear works better on the deeper floor toms with smooth white emperors on the batters. Also, keep in mind that every kit has different head selections that work better than on other kits. I have a 70's 6 ply Ludwig set that I only like with coated emperors and coated resos.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hey,

I played a small room Saturday night with the Slingerland kit. So far the coated ambassadors are sounding good on the two toms. The bass drum had a nice punch but I will be trying a smooth coated ambassador which I just won on eBay. God help me!

Do guitar players go through this or is it just us poor drummers being to finicky?

T

TheArchitect

Hey,

I played a small room Saturday night with the Slingerland kit. So far the coated ambassadors are sounding good on the two toms. The bass drum had a nice punch but I will be trying a smooth coated ambassador which I just won on eBay. God help me!

Do guitar players go through this or is it just us poor drummers being to finicky?
Its strings and pickups for guitar players. I had a larger selection of Seymour Duncan pickups at home than the music stores in town for many years. I still have over a case of various brand / types sizes on hand for all of my tonal needs.....LOL

Great work on the refurb. I have pondered getting the red sparkle wrap on my PDP's replaced with WMP. Just pissing money away though so it wont happen but I love WMP.

pepino

Congrats men, awesome job!!, Can you tell me where can I find the parts?, I want to restore a 70's Clear Vistalite, but I have no idea where to get the parts...

cheers