Vintage Kit Taboos

Mayhaps, but I don't have 10 tube lugs sitting around my house. Also it is a bit of a dry joke as Slingy and Luddy were rivals in the 60's and 70's. Apparently they marketed the lack of a center bead as a dig on Ludwig. Sort of like an Israeli Hummus serves with Palestinian flatbread. Delicious unity.

It's funny, I just happened to spot this topic after looking for an old, basic, analog phone on eBay.

After looking at the listings, I realised something.

Vintage is just a word used to artificially inflate the price on something that is simply old.

I paid about $7 for the phone I ended up getting, but in the meantime I spotted several "vintage" phones (nothing special) going for $25+.

So really, I like to use the axe analogy. Now, I don't actually have my great-grandfather's axe, but the thing goes like this: This is my great-grandfather's axe. The handle is new, and the oil used to keep the blade from rusting was bought 2 weeks ago, and my father replaced the blade when he was my age, but it's still my great-grandfather's axe.

I guess what it boils down to is just a matter of perception. I quite often go to someone's house, and where they see "antiques" and "priceless vintage items," I see "old broken things."

Honestly though, I love the idea of seeing history through old things. You know, a sense of nostalgia when you go to a museum or something, and you see someone's 200-year-old cannon or doll or something. But some things were just simply made to be used, and things that get used need repairs and upgrades at times :)

The plastic plugs that I use are automotive body fasteners. They come in different diameters and colors of black and white. You can color the white ones with a Sharpie to be a close match to your drums. There are also plastic push in fasteners that are designed to hold shutters to a house that are available on home improvement sites that come in various colors. https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=automotive+body+panel+fasteners&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=automotive+body+panel+fasteners&rls=en&tbm=shop

Here are the shutter fasteners. You have to cut them down or add electrical tape to them to make them fit the holes as needed.http://www.exteriorshuttersource.com/Shutter_Lok_p/V-SHU-LOk.htm?click=6722&gclid=CM6civm37bsCFeHm7AodE3cA0w

Last edited:
there is a huge vintage parts market flowered up on ebay over the past several years. Some pretty sad condition drums dismantled and parted out have been seen. And then, there have been some pristine, nearly, if not absolutely yes, collector grade quality sets dismantled and parted out down to the last nut, bolt, and washer. Drum strippers are a thriving business. The only known example of a Rogers 1960s Powertone ALUMINUM shell snare drum was stripped for parts by one of these sellers. I really do believe some drums ought to be sacred from modification due to their historical import. I have seen at least one fake Dyna-Sonic snare drum for sale, assembled from parts stripped from other drums, by one of those same sellers. And that would be the same seller who had nearly a half dozen "pristine" and very rare Rogers 1960s Dyna-Sonic snare drums for sale. .

I hate this!!!! I see it all the time too, a five piece kit listed in five consecutive auctions one piece at a time. or the lugs, tension rods etc. it kills me that people rape these kits for parts and profit all the time. I always hope this stuff doesn't sell so that industry dies off.

Nothing makes me happier than someone who isn't afraid to mod their instruments. Whether they're vintage or not. Whatever gives you the sound and feel you're going for!

True, eBay has opened up a huge market for parting kits out. It's a no brainer from a businessman's view.

Something else just occurred to me. No one who has seen my modified vintage kits has ever commented on the hardware changes that I made.
I usually don't mention the changes unless people ask. Most people only see the drum kit as an entity. If it looks pleasing to the eyes they just accept it as it is.
Most people don't know the difference between vintage hoops, mounts, etc, and modern ones.

A friend who has been playing the sax in bands for many years bought his 5 year old a kids kit for Christmas. He took a picture of one of my kits so that he had an idea of where the drums should go on a standard 4 piece so that he could set it up for him.

Last edited:
Nothing makes me happier than someone who isn't afraid to mod their instruments. Whether they're vintage or not. Whatever gives you the sound and feel you're going for!

Hopefully then,you'll stay away from the collectable vintage stuff.

History needs to be preserved,and taste is transient,extra holes....are forever.You can't undrill a hole,and yes...it is a big deal.

Steve B

Steve is right, it is not something to be taken lightly. You are messing with a piece history when you modify a vintage drum.
There is a responsibility that comes with being a caretaker of the past.
We have all seen perfectly good vintage drums that were spray painted both inside and out for no reason.
Drums are thrown into a wet moldy basement for years until they rust, rot, and delaminate.
Parts removed for no reason and lost.
The same happens to other instruments too. Someone puts an upright piano in their garage so that the mice move into it.

I have come to believe that "ownership" is always temporary. Life is temporary. These objects we use can outlast many lifetimes. I prefer to keep true unmodified vintage drums, unmodified. They can't be replaced, and in some cases have historical significance.

Many don't care a whit about history. I have friends, really intelligent, thoughtful people, who contend that history has little place in today's world. All that matters is what is real today, and move forward from there. I disagree, I think they are discounting the importance of history and culture to the human social creature, but they can make some pretty convincing arguments.

Just my thoughts. I'll wade back into the shallow end, where I belong.

In the world of "Vintage Guitar Amps" there is the idea of doing whatever you want so long
as you can put it back original, ie, no new holes in the chassis. This could be a good middle
road to follow in modifying vintage drum equipment if parts that fit the original holes are available. You can always get the original collectable value if you decide to sell.

Personally, I don't care what you do to them if it enhances your ability to enjoy and use
the new improved sound and functionality.

My problem is that I collect not only drums but other things.

I have 200+ 1955-1969 Matchbox Cars, MIB.

I have around 20 1953-1965 Tonka Trucks

I have a bunch of vintage pedal cars and other riding toys, and trust me the list goes on and on.

I will not modify an unmolested collecable of any kind, that includes drums.

I do have some vintage gear that has been modified, the way I see see it I then have the choice to modify or restore. I there are holes drilled, even a restore will not bring them back, at that point, i will do whatever I want. Example, I have a holiday 20" kick that is original and a matchimg 12" tom. I also have a 22" swivlematic era kick but someone driled it for modern spurs, i will end up recovering it to match the original 20"

I also will add, when i orderd my DW kit in 2000, i kept the original boxes, all paperwork, wood and paint samples I was given to decide on what I wanted. catalogs, hat, NAMM show DW lanyrd all from 2000,

Some day way down the road, this will be a vintage kit, imagin finging a mid 60s Rogers or Ludwig with all that stuff;-)

Yep, i know, i need collecors anonomus, "hello, my name is Robert and i am a collector"

Back