Vintage Camco/Tama vs DW 6000

jazzerooty

I'm a jazz drummer who enjoys lightweight accoutrements. I've used a tama/camco pedal for years. But they're no longer made. And the used ones I see for sale on Reverb or Ebay look in pretty sad condition. The closest I can find in style to the Camco/Tama is the DW 6000 pedal, which seems a good match for the other. So, anhyone who owns this pedal please recommend. Or don't. I await your response. Dig?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey jazz cat - the DW is a fine pedal. Not unlike any other DW5000 without the plate. The cool thing with the 6000 is you have a choice of either sprocket and chain or cam and strap. If you wanted to go old skool Camco, get the strap.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Don’t discount the fact that maybe you could try a plated pedal. My main pedal is the DW5000 Accelerator with a plate and it’s a nice solid feeling when I play it no matter what the kit is on. Sure, you can’t break it down when packing up, but sometimes I feel the plate was the best idea if you like stability. But sometimes I play my plate less DW5000 and just fly right along.

Phil A.

If I'm not mistaken, DW changed to a heavier footboard in the late 90s or early 2000s. So I would say to get that Tama Camco feel on a new pedal try an older DW 5000 footboard on a new DW 5000 or 6000. I've never played a Tama Camco, but I hear the 90s DW 5000 model I own is pretty much identical in feel since both pedals are faithful copies of the original Camco design.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Another option, if "new" is what you want. But in all honesty ..... I'd just buy the cleanest one off eBay you can find.

Attachments

harryconway

Platinum Member
It’s amazing how much the Camco tower looks like a Speed King. So simple and easy.
Here's where all this started. Martin Fleetfoot ...... I believe Camco bought the Martin pedal .... and started producing it (as Camco) as well as also making the Floating Action pedal for Gretsch.

Attachments

marratj

I today received my Tama Camco Reissue I bought via eBay. It looks completely new, supposedly was sitting on a store shelf until July 2020.

Now what I'm missing is the manual (if there was any in the first place) on which of the beater/footboard and sprocket/chain fix holes are supposedly the setting of the old 80s Camco vs the current "industry standard".

Can anyone help me out here? I found a "manual" that mentions this stuff here, but it's missing all the pictures, so I obviously cannot see what they exactly refer to in their text (just that the longer line is the "factory setting"): https://www.musicworks.co.nz/new-products/tama-hp35b-camco-pedal-reissue/