Vinnie or Jeff?

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
For me, the difference in hi-hat and snare drum with “Walkabout” is very clear..

But, to be consistent in my argumentation, others may think thats nonsense..

🙂

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I was originally leaning towards Jeff. Too much space for it to be Vinnie. I didn't want to spoil it but since there seems to be confusion so I was able to find the answer. According to Dicogs Jeff only played on one tune, track 9, Lady On The Phone. I'm guessing this is the tune in question. The rest of the album is all Vinnie.
Of course! Im done talking here, Im an ignoramus. For gosh don don....

MntnMan62

Ok. Listening to both back to back I can now say I was wrong. Lady On The Phone is Vinnie. All of the drumming in the very beginning is quintissential Vinnie. Just listen to how he's splashing the hi hat while still doing the groove in the beginning of the tune. I think Walkabout is Jeff. Far simpler drumming.

TK-421

While the song sounds more like something Jeff would play on, that is definitely Vinnie. That snare sound is 100% Vinnie, plus a lot of the little touches totally sound like him (like the quick 8" tom triplet to snare hit at 0:09).

I'd totally put my money on Vinnie. But if it turns out to be Jeff, I blame my computer speakers :)

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Good point. I always do these on my terrible laptop computer speaker. Hard to really hear depth of character in that compressed little sound.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
That's Vinnie playing here. He played on the whole album, except for the last song that Jeff played. The title is Walkabout, and it is a half-time shuffle.

I've had the CD since it came out, and I know it well. Nik Kershaw is a real musician, he plays guitar quite well – including the solos on his albums – and he writes great songs (I do have all of Nik's records, and he's worth checking out). Simon Phillips played another half-time shuffle on the Radio Musicola album, the song is called Violet To Blue.

Last edited:
Ok, probably not but..... maybe it’s both 🤷🏻‍♂️. Like parts of tracks done at different times 🤔. So confusing as I hear elements of both , but this is probably due to not ever hearing what their usually not known for . I’m perplexed 😂. And now like you,....... I’ll be wondering until an answer can be found 🙄

WhoIsTony?

Ok, probably not but..... maybe it’s both 🤷🏻‍♂️. Like parts of tracks done at different times 🤔. So confusing as I hear elements of both , but this is probably due to not ever hearing what their usually not known for . I’m perplexed 😂. And now like you,....... I’ll be wondering until an answer can be found 🙄
it's Vinnie

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It sounds more like Vinnie. I agree there are albums where it's hard to tell like e.g. the Pages record.. There are albums with both Vinnie and Manu. like "Sacred Love" where it's hard to tell as well.

Those types of fills are all over Joni Mitchell's mid 80s stuff when it wasn't programmed.

There's no shortage of straight up rock playing from Vinnie if you look around.

In both players' cases, like many others, there are recordings that would surprise you as most musicians have more tricks up their sleeve than they're most know for. There is all the Vinnie stuff, which evolves and changes quite a bit over time, but he's also a session player who probably quite often just does what he's told.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Walkabout could pretty much be a Toto track if you change a few sounds and adjust production a bit. Sounds so much Jeff as anything can and he was probably asked to do it because of the feel.

I may remember wrong, but I seem to remeber reading somewhere that using Jeff on that track was suggested by Vinnie.

donzo74

Based on the intro feel, the strong locking bass drum on the chorus groove and the fill @ 3:30, I'd wager "Lady on the Phone" was played by Vinnie.

WhoIsTony?

It sounds more like Vinnie. I agree there are albums where it's hard to tell like e.g. the Pages record.. There are albums with both Vinnie and Manu. like "Sacred Love" where it's hard to tell as well.

Those types of fills are all over Joni Mitchell's mid 80s stuff when it wasn't programmed.

There's no shortage of straight up rock playing from Vinnie if you look around.

In both players' cases, like many others, there are recordings that would surprise you as most musicians have more tricks up their sleeve than they're most know for. There is all the Vinnie stuff, which evolves and changes quite a bit over time, but he's also a session player who probably quite often just does what he's told.
for me it has nothing to do with WHAT they were playing ... strictly HOW they were playing

I don't think there is anything executed in this song that Jeff wouldn't play on a given session ... he just wouldn't play it that way

I think Vinnie has less of a "fingerprint" than Jeff to my ears ... Jeff has a very distinct fingerprint to me

much like the way Gadd does ... they can play the most simple of things that every drummer in the world plays a thousand times on a thousand records but for some reason you can tell who it is

I don't have that with Vinnie ... if he is on a record playing one of those simple things and nothing tricky it could be anyone and I would have no idea

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Wow the url I found said this? It's a long story-Jeff was suppose to play-he didn't show-I was homeless on the corner so they asked me because Vinnie nor Jeff there. I was terrible but those editing gurus made it work. I got the proof-next will be the live video of my face over Jeff-I mean me playing Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 1.28.50 PM.png

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Only his hi-hat playing allready sets Porcaro apart from everyone else, even within those “robotic” Kershaw productions and for sure on half-time shuffles like “Walkabout”..

Plus, i also never heard Porcaro play the same completely on top of the beat like Colaiuta sometimes plays..

There is always a sort of laid-back feel in Porcaro’s playing, even on tracks like Animal or The Seventh One..

When playing the same parts, Colaiuta would have sounded very different on such tracks too..

But, to stay consistent, thats only to my ears and others may think thats nonsense..

cornelius

Silver Member
it's Vinnie
I thought Vinnie right away - Jeff had the ears and chops to go pretty out if he needed to, so I never thought this track as: "too simple for Vinnie, this must be Jeff." Vinnie could dial it down, that's how he was able to be on so many pop sessions over the years.