Vinnie Colaiuta

You mean the Great Vinnie- who can ply anything. Right. LOL

Yep totally the greatest drummer to have ever lived...but my question is...do we really need it? I find a lot of clever musicians across the board dead boring and find myself screaming for a plain ole 4/4 groove played well.

Yep totally the greatest drummer to have ever lived...but my question is...do we really need it? I find a lot of clever musicians across the board dead boring and find myself screaming for a plain ole 4/4 groove played well.
F yeah I need it! Ive enjoyed his dead boring drumming since the 70's, the man is a beast and has added so much wonder and delight to my musical world!

"There's one button that turns it on or off and another that changes the station." - George Carlin

I've been listening to Vinnie since Joes Garage came out. I was quite literally blown away, just like many of my other friends. From then I sought out anything he played on. Back then it was Tom Scott Desire, Gino Vanelli Nightwalker, Barry Finnerty New York City, Joni Mitchell Wild Things Run Fast. You get the idea. I ate up anything he played on if I knew about it. There was no internet back then so I had to hear about it or read about it to know what he was playing on. Here's the thing. I have never heard anyone say anything negative about his playing. After all, what is there to say? As complicated as he can play, it is rare that he can be accused of over playing. I can't think of anything he's overplayed on. I know there are some who disagree but that's my opinion. The only thing I've heard from someone that could even be considered remotely negative is that he's too perfect. I've never been a professional drummer. I've had some paying gigs throughout the years but nothing that could ever pay the bills. But I credit Vinnie with igniting my interest in drumming and keeping it ignited all these years. For years I would sit pretty low (not as low as he used to) and my set up sort of mirrored his. It didn't matter that I couldn't play like him. I tried. When I was younger and had time on my hands I learned how to play odd time signatures and odd groupings. All because of Vinnie. Before Vinnie I was listening to everything Gadd did. Then Vinnie came along. Someone said he's a beast. I'd agree and add that he's a supernatural beast.

Cant deny his technical perfection, and he is technically perfect but it all leaves me wanting I'm afraid...it's just to perfect, almost soul less..dare I say....Weckle too...guess I just don't like hyper accurate technical drumming. Give me a solid back beat that doesn't go anywhere and Im happy.

Back