Vinnie Colaiuta

Perhaps because they are relative contemporaries Herbie trusts in his knowledge and familiarity with a multitude of past and contemporary styles, and has developed a comfort level working together. Colaiuta is a great drummer, a legend, imho is a huge under sell for Vinnie. To me, he can pull off just about any style, make it look easy, and execute on a mind boggling level. He's able rip and hot dog, express any and every musical idea in a way that makes me jump and shout, and then he can do his metric modulation and just make the hardest most complex music seem like a walk in the park. Few guys can legit jazz, pocket funk, slam rock, seal call drum solo, etc etc as proficiently as Vinnie....Id say very few. I gotta check out some of your Deantoni vids man, thanks for posting those and kicking off more Vinnie talk.
I completely understand your point, but then he brings a 40 years old keyboard and sax player like Terrace Martin on tour, the same guy who's producing his new album....i know the drummer has a pivotal role (especially live), but look at Stanley Clarke...he always brings young musicians with him on tour (from drummers like Ronald Bruner Jr. and Mike Mitchell to pianists like Beka Gochiashvili). I know Vinnie can pretty much play everything, but c'mon.....it's about time to let the young cats play.

Who would fit that better?!?
I don't think it's a matter of "who fit that better", because Colaiuta is a master in what he does and is capable of everything, but at this point of his career Herbie should be more "mentally elastic".
I read somewhere a few days ago that for this small run of dates in South America this November he brought Justin Brown on drums, a crazy talented guy that certainly deserve such an important spot; hopefully he will be chosen again when Herbie will be on tour with the new album.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I completely understand your point, but then he brings a 40 years old keyboard and sax player like Terrace Martin on tour, the same guy who's producing his new album....i know the drummer has a pivotal role (especially live), but look at Stanley Clarke...he always brings young musicians with him on tour (from drummers like Ronald Bruner Jr. and Mike Mitchell to pianists like Beka Gochiashvili). I know Vinnie can pretty much play everything, but c'mon.....it's about time to let the young cats play.
I def get that point of view and hear ya and agree on some levels. Sadly I also have a 25 year love affair with Vinnie so he can do no wrong for me. But sure, I would love to see Chris Dave, Mark Guillana, Dafnis Prieto, I can think of a bunch of guys that would absolutely dazzle me on the throne. But you would be hard pressed to find someone as well rounded and capable as Vinnie. Uch Im intolerable fan boi, please excuse lol.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I don't think it's a matter of "who fit that better", because Colaiuta is a master in what he does and is capable of everything, but at this point of his career Herbie should be more "mentally elastic".
I read somewhere a few days ago that for this small run of dates in South America this November he brought Justin Brown on drums, a crazy talented guy that certainly deserve such an important spot; hopefully he will be chosen again when Herbie will be on tour with the new album.

He does use other drummers from time to time, but it seems Vinnie is the most stable band member and there are probably several reasons for that. Vinnie also brin s a crowd and as someone living in a small country where we only get to see such names at a rare jazz festival I can't say I get to be tired of it.

As for what Herbie should do, I think he's put in enough time to not having to care about others ideas in that regard. He'd change it if he didn't like it.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Vinnie was on a Rick Beato episode, did a little interview. Very strange set up. You've got one of the best drummers to ever draw breath and you interview him in a hotel room with copious amounts of distractions in the background. Ugh. What is the ultimate in terms of drum album for Vinnie....NEFERTITI....f$%& yeah!!! Anyone wanna discuss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRH1G6ZpuL0

CyclopseSlayer

Pioneer Member
Vinnie was on a Rick Beato episode, did a little interview. Very strange set up. You've got one of the best drummers to ever draw breath and you interview him in a hotel room with copious amounts of distractions in the background. Ugh. What is the ultimate in terms of drum album for Vinnie....NEFERTITI....f$%& yeah!!! Anyone wanna discuss?

Obviously this post has been hanging for a while but I just now saw it and wanted to shed some light on this... This was at the NAMM show, Saturday night, I believe. I am also a Paiste artist and at the end of the day, I was hanging around the booth waiting for Vinnie's autograph signing to end, as one of the reps had said he'd introduce me to Vinnie. I spotted Rick Beato standing adjacent to the booth and went over to introduce myself and tell him I'm a fan of his channel. Rick's a great guy and we struck up a great conversation. He'd bumped into Vinnie earlier (as they mention in the video they're old friends) and asked if they could do an interview, to which he said yes.

When it all wrapped up, I was summoned into the "backstage" area of the Paiste booth as Vinnie was led back, at which point he spotted Rick and asked for him to be brought back as well. I was introduced to Vinnie, got my photo with him, told him "A Token of My Extreme" changed my life, and then bounced to let others have their time.

When this video went up, I recognized the background immediately. It's a hotel near the Anaheim Convention Center that Paiste typically hosts it's artist hang at. So all of the prep that you see in the background is for that. I would imagine it was the only quiet, private spot that they could do the interview at, since NAMM is such a zoo, and the convention center gives a firm boot once the hours of the show are done.

A fun aside, Rick asked me some questions that I'd want to ask Vinnie, I completely drew a blank on the spot, but mentioned I'd recently listened to an interview in which Vinnie mentioned the White Album in a very high regard. I think that seeped its way into the conversation at one point :)

http://instagr.am/p/BtJPFMTAVnH/

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Cyclopse Slayer....thank you so much for sharing that experience and shedding some light on the situation. Wow man, I am totally living vicariously through this story, fabulous. Im running now, but I actually look forward to re-reading your post and thinking some more about it. The amount of joy that man has created for me is astounding.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
So Ive been digging my Zappa lately, and I decided to find a show featuring Vinnie on drums. Ended up on 10/13/78 Capitol Theatre full show and just good googily moogily is it other worldly! Vinnie with Frank is just and incredible pairing, especially with the size of Vinnies kit with all the percussion instruments, roto toms, etc. Vinnie is sitting so dang low and just killing it, I recommend checking it out if you are a Vinnie fan and have not seen this show.

offdwall

Vinnie is the bomb. Without a doubt - my favorite drummer. I've had the pleasure of recording him (I'm a recording engineer by profession, amateur drummer for fun) for a Chuck Loeb record many years ago and FOH for a weekend of live gigs at the Iridium in preparation for that record.