Vinnie Colaiuta Signature Kit?

MicB

Hello all,

On the hunt for a new kit and just recently heard vinnies gig with herbie where he played on his siganture white gretsch kit. Just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about the kit or if anyone owns or plays one. Sounds f**ing beautiful in the DVD I watched but would love to hear from some owners or anyone who has played on one before.

Thanks!

vinniekit.jpg

-MicB

Colors are beautiful, but I've never seen him play a strange looking rack like that
in the picture. Also, I don't know the specs of Vinnie's kit unfortunately.
He tunes his snares quite high mostly.
And I don't like the sound of his big china :).

Anyway, that is his kit:

Attachments

• vinnie.jpg
    vinnie.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 6,009
just ordered pretty much the exact same kit, without realising it was the same as Vinnies', but without the 16 haha
Only mine's a yamaha :)

doesn't say what wood Vinnies' is though?

just ordered pretty much the exact same kit, without realising it was the same as Vinnies', but without the 16 haha
Only mine's a yamaha :)

doesn't say what wood Vinnies' is though?

It's Gretsches mysterious formula shells for their USA Custom series made of thin 6 ply maple and probably some gum wood thrown in.

Dennis

I bought a set in 2002. sounds fantastic, like the old gretsch sound but with more cutting overtones.
it´s white wash with black hardware. two bass drums, 18x16 and 22x18, toms are 10x7, 12x8, 13x9, and 14x14 , 16x16 floor toms.
snare is 14x6,5.

I orderd 18" and 22" bass drums, 10",12",13" racktoms and 14" and 16" floor toms with a 14x6,5" snare.
old school tom mount bracket , but for the 22" I fafvoured the exceptional tom holders on the cymbal stands because the toms will have some
seriouus resonate problems with the bass sound.
On the 18" bass drum there is no problem with the resonance on the 12" and 13" toms, but with the 22" bass drum it doesn´t work!
You need rims or exceptional tom holders that are not mounted on the bass drum!
The sound is amazing but I think since Jasper shells are not longer available since 2004, the sound of that "Great Gretsch" sound is different now?!....

I orderd 18" and 22" bass drums, 10",12",13" racktoms and 14" and 16" floor toms with a 14x6,5" snare.
old school tom mount bracket , but for the 22" I fafvoured the exceptional tom holders on the cymbal stands because the toms will have some
seriouus resonate problems with the bass sound.
On the 18" bass drum there is no problem with the resonance on the 12" and 13" toms, but with the 22" bass drum it doesn´t work!
You need rims or exceptional tom holders that are not mounted on the bass drum!
The sound is amazing but I think since Jasper shells are not longer available since 2004, the sound of that "Great Gretsch" sound is different now?!....
The sound is the same, I think. The shell formula and layup of the plies is the same...Keller makes the shells now. I have and older set from the late 70’s and the newer ones sound the same to me.

The Vinnie Kit’s were Jasper shells with pretty much and equal number of both maple and gum plies ( maple/gum/maple/ gum/gum/maple -6 plies) . The USA Custom shells made now by Keller have inner and outer plies of maple with all the middle plies being gum ( sugar gum of you want to not pick) ( maple / gum/gum/gum/gum/maple) .
Both utilize the 30 degree bearing edge , diecast hoops .

The Vinnie Kit’s were Jasper shells with pretty much and equal number of both maple and gum plies ( maple/gum/maple/ gum/gum/maple -6 plies) . The USA Custom shells made now by Keller have inner and outer plies of maple with all the middle plies being gum ( sugar gum of you want to not pick) ( maple / gum/gum/gum/gum/maple) .
Both utilize the 30 degree bearing edge , diecast hoops .
Paul Cooper from Gretsch says the maple/gum/gum/gum/gum/maple formula has always been, even during the Jasper years. He did say that the grain orientation of the one gum play makes it appear to be different, which is why people probably thought it was maple/gum/maple/gum/gum/maple.

Back