Vinnie Colaiuta research help me!

Lildrummer10

Hello all, for a school assignment i have chosen to do my research project on Vinnie Colaiuta.

The question that i will be asking is, "What defines Vinnie Colaiuta's style?"

Can i get your opinions on this question and what you think defines his style example was it Frank Zappa, Tony Williams etc that influenced his style.

Vinnie - and most drummers - have multiple influences, and he in particular is capable and comfortable with many styles. I'd tailor that question more towards how playing with so many artists has affected or broadened his playing.

Bermuda

Well it could be his command of timing, technique and dynamics that makes his style so easily identified. His dynamic control between ghostnotes, regular hits and accents is extraordinarily precise.

That said, it's probably also this very precision that turns many people off his style.

I had this issue of Modern Drummer many years back and the thing I remember most about it was this quote leading into the interview, "A producer once told Vinnie Colaiuta that if you threw Tony Williams and Steve Gadd into a blender, Vinnie would be the tasteful concoction."

Here's the whole interview:

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/moderndrummer82.aspx

There are many other interviews you can find with him and obviously he's gone even further over the last thirty plus years. But you may get some insight from it.

Back