[Video] Testing my new HD camera.

frank0072

Gold Member
It's downloading now, I am very curious about what you've made this time. I really dig your drumming. When I've seen it I'll let you know what I think..

Muffled Tom

that's really cool. really tight grooves, really well developed rudiment skills, very precise playing in general. the audio is amazing.. you said you didn't mic the set up? (one thing bout the tuning though, I like a slightly more muffled bass drum.. I think I'm going to change my username hah), and the image quality is really good as well. I like how you edited the end of that as well.

where did you shoot this?

Nergretty

Thanks guys! Just added another one to the list.

The sound is just recorded with the Zoom H4 portable recorded. I then added some room in Cubase using SIR.

The video is shot in my studio. And edited using Sony Vegas Pro 8b. Main reason I bought the new cam is to make some music videos for a project I'm working on.

Cheers
Peter

basscase

Nice looking videos. Your ride is set to to keyhole on you at that wierd angle. Does it rub on the stand when played?

aydee

Platinum Member
Peter, nice to see/hear you again! Great playing as usual. Very controlled and tight. I know you are really going for precision by the way you are playing certain things, and that comes through loud & clear, but I sometimes wish, when I hear you, for you to let go a little bit and open up a bit more.. that's of course just from my personal listening perspective.

That groove in the end was killer. Are you heel toeing the right foot on those quads ( ? )
Your drum sound was always good but now seem to have gotten better.

I got one complaint though.. Man, it takes forever to download your stuff.100mb...... 45 minutes!!

I still do it, so I guess I like it..; )

Nergretty

Peter, nice to see/hear you again! Great playing as usual. Very controlled and tight. I know you are really going for precision by the way you are playing certain things, and that comes through loud & clear, but I sometimes wish, when I hear you, for you to let go a little bit and open up a bit more.. that's of course just from my personal listening perspective.

That groove in the end was killer. Are you heel toeing the right foot on those quads ( ? )
Your drum sound was always good but now seem to have gotten better.

I got one complaint though.. Man, it takes forever to download your stuff.100mb...... 45 minutes!!

I still do it, so I guess I like it..; )
Hey mate, nice to hear from you. Sorry bout the size but I want to keep pristine picture quality (after all I bought the friggin HD cam... hehe)

Thanks for the nice comments. Your comment about openening up a bit is interesting though. I mean, I'm usually spoilt by great comments about my grooving so I'm all ears. Do you mean you would like the grooves to be looser? I guess I am suffering a bit from so much tracking to a click where every beat sometimes HAS to be spot on the grid.

Also, the compressed sound of these 1 mic recordings actually takes away some of the dynamics. I really should use multitracking to get it properly across.

BTW, if you listen to this, do you think the playing sounds a bit more open? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3mROTSJHt4&fmt=18

Cheers a lot.
Peter

aydee

Platinum Member
Your comment about openening up a bit is interesting though. I mean, I'm usually spoilt by great comments about my grooving so I'm all ears. Do you mean you would like the grooves to be looser? I guess I am suffering a bit from so much tracking to a click where every beat sometimes HAS to be spot on the grid.

Also, the compressed sound of these 1 mic recordings actually takes away some of the dynamics. I really should use multitracking to get it properly across.

BTW, if you listen to this, do you think the playing sounds a bit more open? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3mROTSJHt4&fmt=18

Peter, my comment was in no way a criticism or even a negative. I think you're an awesome drummer & you've got incredible time and, man, if every working drummer had what you have, they'd never not be working!

The great comments about your grooving are bang on too. It's one of the best I've seen on this forum, if not the best.

My comments are based only my 'judgment' of you as a player.

Without knowing what your musical aspirations are (.. well...sort of .. I did hear some of your stuff on your website long back, so some sense.. ), I would like to hear some more of YOU in the playing.

Your playing is tight, solid, accurate, sounds good, good chops...its got everything, but I just get the sense, you're holding back.

By that I don't mean more chops & busy stuff, or tricky little things in the groove or more displacements... To me the playing just seems to lack a personal touch, if you know what I mean.

What I guess I'm trying to say, and perhaps not very well is that it might not even have anything to do with the groove or the recording. It just might be more a mental thing. Even if the playing is minimalistic, I would love to see you express yourself more. Much more.

The reason I'm saying all this is a) because you asked, and b) more so because I greatly respect your playing so it matters to me that I say this to you, and as I said its my only my personal view, nothing more.

Hope some of this was useful. If not, please totally ignore it.

Cheers,

Abe

Last edited:
M

Mediocrefunkybeat

Just over a minute to download these videos. I love my University 100MBp/S...

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
Great playing, and great sounding drums (even if they were recorded with just one microphone). Makes me want to buy a set of Pearl Reference for myself!

Nergretty

Peter, my comment was in no way a criticism or even a negative. I think you're an awesome drummer & you've got incredible time and, man, if every working drummer had what you have, they'd never not be working!

The great comments about your grooving are bang on too. It's one of the best I've seen on this forum, if not the best.

My comments are based only my 'judgment' of you as a player.

Without knowing what your musical aspirations are (.. well...sort of .. I did hear some of your stuff on your website long back, so some sense.. ), I would like to hear some more of YOU in the playing.

Your playing is tight, solid, accurate, sounds good, good chops...its got everything, but I just get the sense, you're holding back.

By that I don't mean more chops & busy stuff, or tricky little things in the groove or more displacements... To me the playing just seems to lack a personal touch, if you know what I mean.

What I guess I'm trying to say, and perhaps not very well is that it might not even have anything to do with the groove or the recording. It just might be more a mental thing. Even if the playing is minimalistic, I would love to see you express yourself more. Much more.

The reason I'm saying all this is a) because you asked, and b) more so because I greatly respect your playing so it matters to me that I say this to you, and as I said its my only my personal view, nothing more.

Hope some of this was useful. If not, please totally ignore it.

Cheers,

Abe

Hi Abe!

In no way did I take your comment as negative. I do think you make a very valid observation. Just the other day a pro producer friend of mine said basically the same about my music and singing. He said: "Peter, everything you do sounds very professional and nice, but it may lack that extra special ingredience sometimes"

He said I should mentally decide more where I want to go.

Anyway, I think some of this is applicable to my drumming. In some ways I do think my drumming reflects my personality and life experience. Life's been very kind to me in many ways (except when taking my hair...). Maybe lack of struggle has something to do with it?

You say I should inject more of me into the playing...I'm not sure what that is and where I would start....

Cheers mate
Peter

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
Peter,

very groovy and tight drumming from you again. I feel very inspired by your groove ideas as they also remind me of our unforgotten Jeff a bit.

Well, and you made me think about getting an own camera for christmas, I`m looking forward to that Samsung NV24 HD. :)

PS: Great pic quality, this speaks for itself I think. Oh, and the clips opened it instantly...

Karl